Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
7 hours ago, 268th C.A. said:

My 1943 Ford GPW

JPW1943.jpeg

Hi 268th.

A nice earlier FORD body with the square indent for the locker button. Ford locker lids, Ford springs and the safety strap eyelet the correct Ford way,  Thanks for sharing.  I have my eyelet the Willy's way as it keeps the strap straight in line from the body fixing point. I also prefer the Willys winged nuts for the air filter it's possible to use a long bladed screwdriver in past the distributer, brake cable, temperature cable and turn the winged nut tight. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  April 25  2023.

Thanks for all your comments, I restored this in Texas, The jeep originally came form Jacksonville Fla. No markings were distinguishable, So whether it was Navy at NAS JAX or Army at Camp Blanding who knows. I did a frame off restoration, It was a pile of parts, All the sheet metal is original except the front floor pan and windshield frame. Most of the brackets are reproduction as they were gone. The axe was found stuck in a tree at Ft. Picket VA, years ago. Left behind by a guard unit no doubt. I found a use for it. Recycled. I put my Dads unit numbers on it, 268th C.A. Bn.  It was all 6 volt until a few years ago., a changed it too 12V. It makes things easier. I kept all the original 6Volt items. So you see the GM Alternator. I haven't camouflaged the three plastic wires.. Ha. 

IMG_5312 (1).JPG

General Apathy

Hi Johan & other Ford Freaks . . . . . . 

A couple more Ford pieces belonging to the friend who's garage I used for the gearbox rebuild and clutch replacement.  The boxed air cleaner gaskets are interesting the 1942 dated packet holds five strips of cork, all scored ready for separating to make strips for the air cleaner gaskets.

The other ' F ' marked piece is a front shock-absorber most for riveting to the frame aide rail

fullsizeoutput_1b65f.jpeg.0c33dd676c7d2c26327b1bacba711246.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1b661.jpeg.dff238699fbaa399dcfe723b72c0b613.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  April 25  2023.

Hi everyone, as of tomorrow I will be back in hospital. So I won't be as active as the last couple of days but I will try to check in regularly. This will of course depend a lot on how my physical condition will be. Hope to be back soon. 

Johan Willaert

For Ken

Hello from Bryan F who dropped by while honeymooning in the ETO.
Miles of smiles at the wheel of my Jeep, mastering the art of the stick shift and double clutching...

340156397_6009688819121320_3639525985740813193_n.jpg

General Apathy
3 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi everyone, as of tomorrow I will be back in hospital. So I won't be as active as the last couple of days but I will try to check in regularly. This will of course depend a lot on how my physical condition will be. Hope to be back soon. 

Hi Rene,  

We all wish you well, some will add to my comment others read the thread as much for your comments as anyone else's posts but without ever adding posts, we are heading towards a thousand posts and two million views, and you have helped in reaching these milestones of the thread.

Looking forward to having you back on line again soon.  Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  April 27  2023.

Johan Willaert
3 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hang tough!

General Apathy
3 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

For Ken

Hello from Bryan F who dropped by while honeymooning in the ETO.
Miles of smiles at the wheel of my Jeep, mastering the art of the stick shift and double clutching...

340156397_6009688819121320_3639525985740813193_n.jpg

Hi Johan,  thanks for passing on greetings from Bryan and wish them both well in their recent marriage.

Talking of marriage, years ago I met the friend of a Jeeping friends daughter at a military show and we got together having a background of military vehicles and shows, however I made a very prophetic statement a few weeks after getting together, I said to her ' don't ever ask me to sell the Jeep, it was here before you came (along with several others ) and it will be here after you have gone ', ok guys a bit of a chauvinistic statement  but I thought lets be truthful at the outset having witnessed other friends marriage / vehicle issues.   Anyway eighteen years later I still had the Jeep and she became my ex-wife, the issues weren't the Jeeps or vehicles, it was the five years of researching and writing.  !!!!!!!!

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  April 27  2023.

Lots of Jeeps.

While going through my photo file on my computer I came across this photo of a photo. A nice combination of the name of this thread and Jeeps.

SAM_2088.JPG.de8b4ab16ff9b1c62ad98d4ba5309e91.JPG

6 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Good luck and a speedy recovery.

7 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Wishing you all the best that all goes well.  Keep in touch as best as you are able.  We will keep plugging away here to keep you amused when you do check in.

Mikie

7 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Very best wishes. Hurry back soon! Cheers!

And now for something completely different. I found this at a local junk shop and couldn’t resist. Not strictly US and not strictly military, I know. But the RMS Queen Mary carried many thousands of US soldiers across the Atlantic after being converted into a troop ship during WWII. She carried just about the  entire US 29th Infantry Division of Normandy fame from the US to England in 1942. The story of these souvenir plaques made when the ship was converted into a hotel/tourist attraction in the late 1960s is fascinating in itself. I’m still in process of researching but will post more if you are at all interested in hearing about it. 
mikie

6432107C-B6FB-4461-84FC-CEBA3E6DA16B.jpeg

27 minutes ago, mikie said:

And now for something completely different. I found this at a local junk shop and couldn’t resist. Not strictly US and not strictly military, I know. But the RMS Queen Mary carried many thousands of US soldiers across the Atlantic after being converted into a troop ship during WWII. She carried just about the  entire US 29th Infantry Division of Normandy fame from the US to England in 1942. The story of these souvenir plaques made when the ship was converted into a hotel/tourist attraction in the late 1960s is fascinating in itself. I’m still in process of researching but will post more if you are at all interested in hearing about it. 
mikie

I bet you bolted out of that shop.

I for one would like to see a follow up on this story.

General Apathy
5 hours ago, mikie said:

mikie

Hi Mikie,

Was it like a bolt from the blue when you saw it, did you get screwed on the price . . . . . . . . . . I bet you felt like a plank if you did !!!!

I think I got most of the puns with these. . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  April 28  2023.

17 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

You will be in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

...Kat

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

Was it like a bolt from the blue when you saw it, did you get screwed on the price . . . . . . . . . . I bet you felt like a plank if you did !!!!

It would only be a pipe dream to think I could cap off your list of puns! 
mikie

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

😂

General Apathy
9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

3 hours ago, mikie said:

It would only be a pipe dream to think I could cap off your list of puns! 
mikie

Avast shipmates I think mikie should walk the plank for that one . . . . . . . 

6432107C-B6FB-4461-84FC-CEBA3E6DA16B.jpeg.fd9dcf1b9a2a318a5c0f90fb4b06fe35.jpeg.62938bca3dad1e60c008f80d7fd116e2.jpeg

General Apathy

June anniversary remembrance images have started to appear, this was the first one I spotted today as I passed through Houesville.

fullsizeoutput_1b6c4.jpeg.b517251df5db23ff848198872fe79a4c.jpeg 

General Apathy

A militaria Fair was advertised for Ste Mere Eglise this morning . . . . . . 

Three of us drove into Ste Mere early this morning in our Jeeps only to find at the door that it was cancelled without explanation.  So plan B drive round to the cafe for coffee, luckily after we parked two more Jeeps parked ahead of ours, and probably ten more passed by looking to park while we drank coffee, it's a holiday weekend in France.  

Nipped back into Ste Mere after lunch to pick up a Jeep part that had been badly welded and one of my friends offered the owner that he would make another more sympathetic repair, hopefully I might have the results to show tomorrow. 

fullsizeoutput_1b740.jpeg.fae6faf791ff0035ff4de99815c85e42.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  April 30  2023.

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

A militaria Fair was advertised for Ste Mere Eglise this morning . . . . . . 

Three of us drove into Ste Mere early this morning in our Jeeps only to find at the door that it was cancelled without explanation.  So plan B drive round to the cafe for coffee, luckily after we parked two more Jeeps parked ahead of ours, and probably ten more passed by looking to park while we drank coffee, it's a holiday weekend in France.  

Nipped back into Ste Mere after lunch to pick up a Jeep part that had been badly welded and one of my friends offered the owner that he would make another more sympathetic repair, hopefully I might have the results to show tomorrow. 

fullsizeoutput_1b740.jpeg.fae6faf791ff0035ff4de99815c85e42.jpeg

gee which one is your

General Apathy
17 minutes ago, LtRGFRANK said:

gee which one is your

Hi Robert,

NOT the four clean ones . . . . . . . . . . 

IMG_4552.jpg.aebab1ac964fe0948759a6e783d39057.jpg