Norman D. Landing

bilko1

manayunkman
2 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi everyone, just a short message and I don't know how to explain this properly but I will be on and off for a prolonged time due to serious illnes for which I'm undergoing treatment in hospital as we speak. Life's what happens to you while you're busy making plans, well that's certainly true. I hope I will be able to tune in from time to time and add a debatable witty comment  but I don't have access to my own computer so I will have to see what's possible.

Very sorry to hear this.

My prayers and positive thoughts are with you as well as hopes for a full recovery.

Can you use your phone to log in?

I don’t own a computer as I can do everything I need on my phone.

6 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi everyone, just a short message and I don't know how to explain this properly but I will be on and off for a prolonged time due to serious illnes for which I'm undergoing treatment in hospital as we speak. Life's what happens to you while you're busy making plans, well that's certainly true. I hope I will be able to tune in from time to time and add a debatable witty comment  but I don't have access to my own computer so I will have to see what's possible.

Hi Rene, I'm sad to hear this but wishing you all the best for a rapid recovery.  Take care of yourself and check in here when you are able.  

Mikie

HELLO'   SAD NEWS. LIFE DOES THROW  OBSTACLES IN THE WAY..HOPING FOR A COMPLETE RECOVERY. STAY POSITIVE. BEST WISHES;  T BIRD

General Apathy

So it's broken is the polite term . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Dropped the gearbox and bell-housing out the Jeep today to discover what the squealing noise was when I dipped the clutch, it was broken springs in the clutch plate, nothing lasts forever, I ONLY got forty years out of this clutch plate.  Rebuilding the gearbox and the same time, and a new clutch plate and pressure plat couple of days and I'll be rolling again. 

.fullsizeoutput_1b348.jpeg.275e5a4736af12906bbce236e054fa43.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1b340.jpeg.c9344e659d5aa0360825b1a5b86929f2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1b34f.jpeg.4c3641ebea723d2a4b2494b89d556fb4.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  April 03  2023.

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Dropped the gearbox and bell-housing out the Jeep today to discover what the squealing noise was when I dipped the clutch, it was broken springs in the clutch plate, nothing lasts forever, I ONLY got forty years out of this clutch plate.  Rebuilding the gearbox and the same time, and a new clutch plate and pressure plat couple of days and I'll be rolling again. 

So Spring has sprung in more ways than one recently. I’m gonna guess that you have a spare or two in your shoebox. Hope so anyway.

mikie

10 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Rene,

So very sorry to hear.  You will be in our prayers.

..Kat

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Your knowledge and skills just floor me every day.

....Kat

General Apathy
11 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Rene,  

So pleased that you have let us all know whats happening, I did email you privately last week as you hadn't posted recently and I saw that you hadn't been on the forum since 28th February.   Take care, be safe and I know we will all be waiting to read your posts again shortly.

Johan Willaert
On 4/3/2023 at 12:19 PM, Dogsbody said:

Veel beterschap gewenst!

Johan Willaert
15 hours ago, T BIRD said:

HELLO ALL. THE G.I. SLEEPING IN THE TENT;  IS THAT A P. 38 IN THE HOLSTER?   BEST;  T BIRD

Yes, a ‘captured’ P38 in a cut down M1916 Holster

P38 is a 1945 Spreewerk made example, one of the last built and mint condition. Doesnt look like it was ever fired…

On 4/3/2023 at 11:19 AM, Dogsbody said:

Get well soon Rene!

Johan Willaert
4 hours ago, T BIRD said:

HELLO, THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY.  GREAT DISPLAY, RENE.  I OWNED A cyq  ONCE, I HAVE A byf 43 RIG NOW.

BEST;  T BIRD

Here's a better view

P38-1.jpg

VERY NICE; THANK YOU, THE GRIP PLATES ON THE ONE I HAD, HAD AN ORANGE HUE TO THEM.   I TRADED FOR A 1915 DWM LUGER. A LONG TIME AGO.

General Apathy
On 4/3/2023 at 10:49 PM, cutiger83 said:

Your knowledge and skills just floor me every day.

....Kat

Hi Kat,

Whatever knowledge I have was all learnt from wiser people . . . . . . . . . .

one of the best encouragements I found was when a teacher tells you ' you will never go anywhere in life ',  in junior school Mr Schillam's perverse pleasure was to stand at the side of a seated pupil grip the short hairs to the front of your ear with thumb and forefinger and pull them around hard, in a rotating circle while berating them . . . . . . . I recall we believed he was in the SS during WWII.

it was in the days when corporal punishments was allowed in schools, it never caused lasting harm to any of us,

( nervous twitch-twitch ) 🤔

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  April 05  2023.

General Apathy
On 4/3/2023 at 8:49 PM, mikie said:

So Spring has sprung in more ways than one recently. I’m gonna guess that you have a spare or two in your shoebox. Hope so anyway.

mikie

Hi mikie,

Normally on the mention of spring we talk of ' lambs a'leaping ' , but you are right in my case it was springs have sprung . . . . . . . 

46 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

Whatever knowledge I have was all learnt from wiser people . . . . . . . . . .

one of the best encouragements I found was when a teacher tells you ' you will never go anywhere in life ',  in junior school Mr Schillam's perverse pleasure was to stand at the side of a seated pupil grip the short hairs to the front of your ear with thumb and forefinger and pull them around hard, in a rotating circle while berating them . . . . . . . I recall we believed he was in the SS during WWII.

it was in the days when corporal punishments was allowed in schools, it never caused lasting harm to any of us,

( nervous twitch-twitch ) 🤔

At our school it was a case of dodge the flying board rubber. A solid block of wood with a piece of cloth on one side used as a way for the teacher to get our atention if they spotted us talking to someone in class and not paying attention. The trick was to raise the desk lid in time to deflect the incoming projectile , they always gave a sporting warning by shouting your name. This practice only stopped when our English Teacher and form master Craig Thomas ( later to become the writer of Firefox, Firefox  Down and many other titles ) hit someone and caused quite a bad injury.  It all blew over which was a good thing as he was one of the few teachers who treated us with respect, he broke the grammar school mould by having us read The Hobbit for our class study . Most of our teachers were ex-officers with wartime service and some great stories to tell.

6 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

First ice cream run of the season: Check!

33-GPW56685-05Apr23 (2).JPG

33-GPW56685-05Apr23 (4).JPG

I love it! I also love the shed/shop in the background.  It looks nice.

...Kat

General Apathy
11 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

First ice cream run of the season: Check!

33-GPW56685-05Apr23 (2).JPG

33-GPW56685-05Apr23 (4).JPG

hi Johan,

when we meet up in the summer I will pre-order it will be vanilla for me . . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  April 06  2023.

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

hi Johan,

when we meet up in the summer I will pre-order it will be vanilla for me . . . . . . . . . . . .

Oh sounds good! I know besides standard vanilla, there is a French Vanilla flavor. is there also a Belgian Vanilla? 

Now you’ve got me thinking about ice cream. I’m suddenly craving a Neapolitan ice cream sandwichand want one right now. 
mikie

Johan Willaert
21 hours ago, General Apathy said:

hi Johan,

Come over, to visit the War Building and I'll get you that vanilla ice cream...
I will take the top off, and may even put the windshield down for you... ;-)

Johan Willaert
19 hours ago, mikie said:

Oh sounds good! I know besides standard vanilla, there is a French Vanilla flavor. is there also a Belgian Vanilla? 

Had to look that up, seems French vanilla has egg yokes, regular not...
I've never paid attention but I think they mainly serve the regular one over here