Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Jerrycan pouring spout. . . .  Post-War Armee Francaise.

This post war French model of pouring spout can be used on the Jerrycans of America / Britain /  Germany

It copies the cam operated expanding rubber fitting as used by America during WWII, it can also be used on both the German and British cans by the use of two arms that clip to the side of the can opening. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 11  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

.fullsizeoutput_8eff.jpeg.a2870d1e4bf14a3f9931e71c5f7e66aa.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8ef6.jpeg.2c3cfb089f6ce8874fa4bf2135764255.jpeg

Johan Willaert

Thought of you today, Ken, when I came across this...

Apparently in Scotland they named their salt trucks and there's an app to tell where they are working and if your road is clear. There are some great names.... Have a look at the one just South of Edinburgh....

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab&fbclid=IwAR0VtkJLTe07zFIMP9r_cLfL_mYCuTrEWSWGY-Grvx0fDS_VvDxwq-62KC4

147901715_10158997713440902_1660525954284865361_n.jpg

On 2/10/2021 at 4:33 AM, General Apathy said:

More wartime Quartermaster paperwork . . . . .

Here's another sheet that I found amongst a bundle of 500 leggings, the sheet is for 120 leggings towards the bundle of 500, again selected by 'Lightfoot ' but this time packed by ' Rattle ' .

The reverse side is again interesting as it lists undershirts summer, undershirts wool, three types of Brassards, and thirteen Rayon hat cords, these are sub-divided into 54 inch and 57 inch lengths. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 10  2021.

.fullsizeoutput_8e50.jpeg.8833be148b2a58aec3418854c705d106.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8e52.jpeg.95dc89ae146829aa744936058f94c2b9.jpeg

I love things like this. From a historical point of view, those forms are more valuable than the items they were attached to. Unfortunately, not from a monetary point of view. Wonder what Lightfoot, Lloyd and Rattle would think if told at the time that people  75 years in the future would be excited by these things. 

8 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Apparently in Scotland they named their salt trucks and there's an app to tell where they are working and if your road is clear. There are some great names.... Have a look at the one just South of Edinburgh....

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab&fbclid=IwAR0VtkJLTe07zFIMP9r_cLfL_mYCuTrEWSWGY-Grvx0fDS_VvDxwq-62KC4

That's cool! My kind of sense of humor! More "plower" to them! 

General Apathy

A picture paints a thousand words . . . . . . . . . .

fullsizeoutput_8f81.jpeg.a77b0655720fcc7d4d5c7c93bf35cf3b.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 12  2021.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy
14 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Hi Johan,

interesting that you are in Belgium and watching the weather forecasts in Scotland . . . . . . . . planning a valentines night trip to the highlands. 

contact them and them them they misspelt Zeppelin . . . . . . . . . amazing it's fifty years since they formed and they are still in vogue today.

General Apathy
6 hours ago, mikie said:

I love things like this. From a historical point of view, those forms are more valuable than the items they were attached to. Unfortunately, not from a monetary point of view. Wonder what Lightfoot, Lloyd and Rattle would think if told at the time that people  75 years in the future would be excited by these things. 

Hi Mikie,

yes I agree with you small pieces like this can / could have an historical significance far beyond the time they were written. 

General Apathy

Warning from a higher authority, the wife . . . . . . . . . . . .

fullsizeoutput_8f98.jpeg.b4811d3fff2fafd7ada00417f4463d1a.jpeg

6 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

hahaha... mind you if I had an MA, I wouldnt care much about spectacle or not...

Thx Ken!

Johan,

Happy birthday! I hope you get lots of jeep items ! 😁

...Kat

General Apathy

Valentines night approaches . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_8fc3.jpeg.a4c8c476ff61d286f5eb7a89f8d260cc.jpeg

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Warning from a higher authority, the wife . . . . . . . . . . . .

fullsizeoutput_8f98.jpeg.b4811d3fff2fafd7ada00417f4463d1a.jpeg

Hmmm...I kind of get the feeling it may be someone's birthday.  Have a Happy one Johan.  And no wrecking the jeep in the process.  Not that you couldn't rebuild it if needed.  

Mikie

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . 

just added these few items to another post on ' Sweets ' here on the forum,  sadly although I wrapped these in kitchen food wrap to try and preserve them, they are ' melting ' from the inside outwards.  

Thankfully I managed to photograph them while the wrappers can still be seen, I like the splash across the MARS product ' Torrid Zone '..

.fullsizeoutput_8f3a.jpeg.3d8dfacc4bee77bd18668c8f40995d5c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8f43.jpeg.7db27e4147745f1f35c98752306df1b1.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8f48.jpeg.26f7ad6a52502d84b3124104c3126b74.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8f4b.jpeg.2d59cbaae8632599c041760d3c55c9c9.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8f56.jpeg.60f70a2be918c9f39db355116bcc22d9.jpeg

Thought I’d tell you the story of why I’ve carried a duck feather in my wallet for the past 22 years.  Nothing military, but have been told it's a good story.  Hope I’m forgiven for sharing it here.   But you folks are friends, so here it goes.  

Exactly 22 years ago, my dear wife was 3 weeks overdue for the birth of our daughter Kassidy.  The doctor was concerned and planned to go in and take her out the next week.  We were of course freaking out, neither of us having any experience with birthing no babies before.  I was calm on the outside but a nervous wreck at that point. While out for a walk I sat on a bench to watch some ducks.  Ducks and I have a long strange relationship that caused me to adopt “Just ducky” as my personal catchphrase more than 30 years ago. 

Most of the ducks were mallards that just ignored me.  But there was one all white duck.  Much to my surprise, it waddled right up to me and happily sat down on top of my left foot!  Nothing like this had ever happened before, or since.  As I looked down at the duck, all my fear and anxiety just vanished.  I was filled with the certainty that all would work out well with the baby.  After 3 or 4 minutes, the duck got up and went on its way.  It left this feather stuck to my sock and I’ve kept it ever since.  Sure enough, 3 days later Annie went into labor, and though it lasted 16 hours, all finally came out fine. 

Just a duck?  My fairy godmother?  An angel?  I don’t know.  But I’ll always be grateful to that duck, where ever it is. 

Mikie

Duck Feather.jpg

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . 

just added these few items to another post on ' Sweets ' here on the forum,  sadly although I wrapped these in kitchen food wrap to try and preserve them, they are ' melting ' from the inside outwards.  

Thankfully I managed to photograph them while the wrappers can still be seen, I like the splash across the MARS product ' Torrid Zone '..

Ken,

One part of me wants to open the Mars bar just to see what it looks like. But a bigger part of me says ewwwww.😁

...Kat

5 minutes ago, mikie said:

Thought I’d tell you the story of why I’ve carried a duck feather in my wallet for the past 22 years.  Nothing military, but have been told it's a good story.  Hope I’m forgiven for sharing it here.   But you folks are friends, so here it goes.  

Exactly 22 years ago, my dear wife was 3 weeks overdue for the birth of our daughter Kassidy.  The doctor was concerned and planned to go in and take her out the next week.  We were of course freaking out, neither of us having any experience with birthing no babies before.  I was calm on the outside but a nervous wreck at that point. While out for a walk I sat on a bench to watch some ducks.  Ducks and I have a long strange relationship that caused me to adopt “Just ducky” as my personal catchphrase more than 30 years ago. 

Most of the ducks were mallards that just ignored me.  But there was one all white duck.  Much to my surprise, it waddled right up to me and happily sat down on top of my left foot!  Nothing like this had ever happened before, or since.  As I looked down at the duck, all my fear and anxiety just vanished.  I was filled with the certainty that all would work out well with the baby.  After 3 or 4 minutes, the duck got up and went on its way.  It left this feather stuck to my sock and I’ve kept it ever since.  Sure enough, 3 days later Annie went into labor, and though it lasted 16 hours, all finally came out fine. 

Just a duck?  My fairy godmother?  An angel?  I don’t know.  But I’ll always be grateful to that duck, where ever it is. 

Mikie

Mikie,

Great story. There is nothing like a father/daughter relationship.

...Kat

13 hours ago, General Apathy said:

A picture paints a thousand words . . . . . . . . . .

fullsizeoutput_8f81.jpeg.a77b0655720fcc7d4d5c7c93bf35cf3b.jpeg

Happy Birthday Sir

General Apathy
13 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

One part of me wants to open the Mars bar just to see what it looks like. But a bigger part of me says ewwwww.😁

...Kat

Hi Kat,

well you may say ewwwwww and I think I have mentioned this story before several years ago on this thread.  

About twenty-five years ago a friend who was a plumber was called out one winter night to a fractured pipe, sometime after midnight his wife decided she wanted a cigarette looking in her handbag she saw she was out of cigarettes.  

So not wishing to get dressed and go out to a service station at that time of a morning she slipped into her husbands collection room and helped herself to a fifty year old packet of Lucky-Strike in his display cabinets, that's ewwwwww

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 13  2021.

fullsizeoutput_8fcb.jpeg.c54368818b40a8c7441d359c9a9198d2.jpeg

General Apathy
13 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie

Duck Feather.jpg

Hi Mikie,

we both love our daughters . . . . . . . .

My daughters baby boy is due around the 4 / 8 of June, her married name is ' Day ', we have been having a laugh suggesting names, so how about this one William David Day which would make him William D.Day . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

Thanks for the BD wishes... In case you're wondering just how young I turned yesterday; here's a clue...

2x5Ct.jpg

Hi Johan,  

Thanks for the clue, so you show the figure 5 and the world is a zero,  so 50 + 50 makes you a 100 . . . . . . . . :lol:

I don't believe that for one minute and can assure everyone that you are younger than that.  

Johan Willaert
49 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

we both love our daughters . . . . . . . .

Don't we all..... Remember this one, Ken.... taken in your garden in the Summer of 2016...

Ellen-LewisJacket-Aug2016 (1).JPG