Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Jeeps in museums . . . . . . . . .

Earlier this evening I was sent a photo of the Jeep in the Henry Ford museum, I have never had the pleasure of visiting the museum and naturally one would think being the Ford museum that it would be a Ford version of the Jeep, I was intrigued however to see that it appeared to be a Willys. 

So I went on line to try and see more photos of the Jeep in the museum but sure enough the Ford museum actually do list it as a Willys, I suppose that the informational board by the Jeep will list that Ford also built a version of the Jeep during the war ????  Looking over the rear of the Jeep and seeing the VW Beetle it's evident that the Ford museum give credit to other car manufacturers and their models. 

We must beat this Covid, I need to get out more . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 06  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

.fullsizeoutput_8d22.jpeg.ecc2058db713d5d11f371ac35e54a001.jpeg

General Apathy
On 2/3/2021 at 3:05 PM, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

These are very interesting,  I just love the small items in your shoebox.

..Kat

From the shoebox . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Kat,

well you like seeing stuff from the shoe box and you like Jeep related stuff, so here's something that combines both of your likes.

A shot of a Jeep on the front line being topped up with oil, a bit of a hard task from a can holding so much oil without overfilling the top-up action, the soldier is using a standard gas can with a clip on flexible pouring spout ( nicknamed a Donkey-Dick by servicemen during WWII ).

The early flexible pouring spouts used screw fitting to fix the cam lever, later models were riveted. 

From the shoebox is my rear echelon service oil pourer which holds 1/4 gallon, the flow of oil is controlled by the thumb-lever above the handle, depressing the lever opens a gate in the floor of the container allowing required amounts of oil to pass through the flexible tube.  Around the base of the container is a short skirt with a series of holes, the container could be stood on a heated surface allowing heating of the oil for a easier pour during winter months. 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

.fullsizeoutput_8c39.jpeg.ae49e0f38c99dd2ae40269e212dd087b.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_8d33.jpeg.ad2b3e811bfc51ce936632cf4b2b226c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8d41.jpeg.aad6a897ebf351435a8451b099848d65.jpeg

Johan Willaert
6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

From the shoebox is my rear echelon service oil pourer which holds 1/4 gallon, the flow of oil is controlled by the thumb-lever above the handle, depressing the lever opens a gate in the floor of the container allowing required amounts of oil to pass through the flexible tube.  Around the base of the container is a short skirt with a series of holes, the container could be stood on a heated surface allowing heating of the oil for a easier pour during winter months. 

Here are two of those oil pourers from my collection; both are from the Huffman brand just like one of my WW2 US Army bicycles....
The gold painted can came in its original box with Huffman's Huffy logo, which makes me think it might be post WW2 manufacture.

HuffyOilCan-1.JPG

HuffyOilCan-2.JPG

13 hours ago, General Apathy said:

From the shoebox . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Kat,

well you like seeing stuff from the shoe box and you like Jeep related stuff, so here's something that combines both of your likes.

A shot of a Jeep on the front line being topped up with oil, a bit of a hard task from a can holding so much oil without overfilling the top-up action, the soldier is using a standard gas can with a clip on flexible pouring spout ( nicknamed a Donkey-Dick by servicemen during WWII ).

The early flexible pouring spouts used screw fitting to fix the cam lever, later models were riveted. 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Ken,

This is very cool. I love little things like this. Thanks so much for posting more from your shoebox.

Is the water still rising? Have the rains stopped?

..Kat

On 2/4/2021 at 5:59 AM, General Apathy said:

And the water gets deeper today . . . . . . 

well in thirteen years I have never seen the water on this road at the road level,  its about four feet deeper than normal levels. This would be four extra feet everywhere that there are flooded fields, roughly making the depth eight to ten feet deep. 

These fields are part of the vast area that the Germans flooded during the war to thwart airborne landings and ground troops advancements. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 04  2021.

.IMG_6025.JPG.f6a5e558207d5e0b1b755d61f00ae937.JPG

.IMG_6026.JPG.5ac2011f8a29da8b03ddce5fe07de9d7.JPG

I guess better snow drifts than water this time of year... 

2021_02050001.JPG

2021_02050017.JPG

2021_02050007.JPG

Would love a test drive in this one......  in the background you can also (partly) see a Mark VIII 'liberty' tank, a joint venture of some sorts between the British and the U.S.

skft-3153f563fc9e220cf41e5e52e9fa3a3f.jpg.aa43d79699a1461575a5345f02d822c4.jpg

Rene

General Apathy
On 2/6/2021 at 8:56 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Here are two of those oil pourers from my collection; both are from the Huffman brand just like one of my WW2 US Army bicycles....
The gold painted can came in its original box with Huffman's Huffy logo, which makes me think it might be post WW2 manufacture.

HuffyOilCan-1.JPG

HuffyOilCan-2.JPG

Hi Johan,  well nice to see both the military adopted and the civilian ones, thanks for posting your examples.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 08  2021.

General Apathy
On 2/7/2021 at 9:07 AM, doyler said:

I guess better snow drifts than water this time of year... 

2021_02050001.JPG

2021_02050017.JPG

2021_02050007.JPG

Hi Ron,  well very pretty shots of the snow and open countryside, sadly no sign of the bridge in any of them . . . . . . .  

General Apathy
On 2/7/2021 at 3:55 PM, Dogsbody said:

Would love a test drive in this one......  in the background you can also (partly) see a Mark VIII 'liberty' tank, a joint venture of some sorts between the British and the U.S.

skft-3153f563fc9e220cf41e5e52e9fa3a3f.jpg.aa43d79699a1461575a5345f02d822c4.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene,  well the photo of the cars covered in snow sent a shiver down my spine, looks cold.  Nice shot of the car conversion and the ' liberty ' tank, wonder if any of the forum members on here recognise the bridge and could say where it is.

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . well almost

For about thirteen years I have passed the building shown in this post, for those thirteen years I kept meaning to stop and take a photograph of it. Well about three weeks ago I finally did, the downside is it looks like I may have deleted the image from my cell phone and can only show you the one I took yesterday.

The reason I had intended taking a photograph for thirteen years was that the cement render was riddled with bullet and spang marks, which I now don't have a photo of.  For Seventy-eight years the bullet holes and damage could be seen in the render it has now all been removed for renovation, how silly do I feel, well very silly I can tell you, history of this building lost forever . . . . . . I must say that even at this stage of the renovation the house looks remarkably better. 

.IMG_6047.JPG.d22c9b3b16290b86b1dec3fb2a736a27.JPG

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . well almost

For about thirteen years I have passed the building shown in this post, for those thirteen years I kept meaning to stop and take a photograph of it. Well about three weeks ago I finally did, the downside is it looks like I may have deleted the image from my cell phone and can only show you the one I took yesterday.

The reason I had intended taking a photograph for thirteen years was that the cement render was riddled with bullet and spang marks, which I now don't have a photo of.  For Seventy-eight years the bullet holes and damage could be seen in the render it has now all been removed for renovation, how silly do I feel, well very silly I can tell you, history of this building lost forever . . . . . . I must say that even at this stage of the renovation the house looks remarkably better. 

.IMG_6047.JPG.d22c9b3b16290b86b1dec3fb2a736a27.JPG

Doh.jpg

Yesterday, US football quarterback Tom Brady led his team to his unprecedented 7th Superbowl championship win.  It's a little known fact that before his football career, Brady worked as a model in one of the best militaria collector reference books out there.  A book one or two of you around here may be familiar with.  Can't remember the title or author, though.

Mikie

TB3.jpg

TBDGI.jpg

General Apathy
3 hours ago, mikie said:

Doh.jpg

Doh.jpg.2402bd5297435d95ba73b5d942e55cb4.jpg.4b8c56f40d7ea6e9192de496cba6cb63.jpg PLUS ONE Doh.jpg.2402bd5297435d95ba73b5d942e55cb4.jpg.4b8c56f40d7ea6e9192de496cba6cb63.jpg

General Apathy
2 hours ago, mikie said:

Yesterday, US football quarterback Tom Brady led his team to his unprecedented 7th Superbowl championship win.  It's a little known fact that before his football career, Brady worked as a model in one of the best militaria collector reference books out there.  A book one or two of you around here may be familiar with.  Can't remember the title or author, though.

Mikie

TB3.jpg

TBDGI.jpg

Hi Mikie,  

Doh.jpg.2402bd5297435d95ba73b5d942e55cb4.jpg.897feaf3f86d71f64bfaa3049b2629fd.jpg

General Apathy

WWII U.S. Army packing slips . . . . . . . 

Maybe twenty years ago I bought a bundle of 500 canvas leggings size 3R, inside the outer wrapping there were a number of packing slips, this one was for 120 pairs, selected by ' Lightfoot ', packed by ' Lloyd ', on 03-24-44.

The reverse of the slip is an interesting pro-forma list of sizes for ' Shoes, Service, Pairs ' and shows the complexity of the stock system, there are 46 sizes listed on this one sheet.  Now consider all the other styles of boots in the inventory such as, parachutists, nurses, WAAC, overshoes, ski, mukluks, shoe-pacs, jungle, cavalry, etc, etc. 

It shows that for each size there are six widths available i.e.  A, B, C, D, E, EE.  This particular sheet is an incomplete list of available sizes and only lists sizes between 6D and 10A, so there is a preceding list of small sizes and a following sheet of larger sizes.  It's interesting to see the correct stock list number for each size / width. 

.fullsizeoutput_8de3.jpeg.58b81d58eae659221268a17f72bc3e7d.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8de2.jpeg.7c863752327d5106ba7da3e5066ada7c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_5814.jpeg.6dbbe8b30c7f98f23ec1f448f449f9e4.jpeg

Johan Willaert
20 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.fullsizeoutput_5814.jpeg.6dbbe8b30c7f98f23ec1f448f449f9e4.jpeg

A warehouse full of unissued minty Combat Shoes aka Double Buckle boots....
I have a hunch this pair might be in there....

DBBoots8.jpg

General Apathy
16 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

A warehouse full of unissued minty Combat Shoes aka Double Buckle boots....
I have a hunch this pair might be in there....

DBBoots8.jpg

Hi Johan,  nice boots, hard to top those, someone would give their Heart and Sole for those . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 10  2021.

Johan Willaert
7 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

...someone would give their Heart and Sole for those . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

I believe I know who you're thinking of.... Maybe he would like this Women's pair too.... LOL

WomensDBBoots1.jpg

General Apathy

Poor research in documentary . . . . . . . . 

last night I sat and watched an hour long documentary on the American attack on Metz during WWII.  Using clips of footage to dramatise the commentary there were many post war clips of American troops including Korea, Vietnam, there were also a lot of 1950's, 1960's vehicles, even footage of British paratroops marching into Arnhem and Marines in camouflage in the PTO, on and on it went.

Part of the commentary was about the pre-war French defence forts situated around Metz that the Germans made good use of, the commentary mentioned the hidden armoured cupola's and used this image to show what they said was a cupola. 

Everyone makes mistakes and I freely admit to that, but the footage that accompanied this documentary was unbelievable.

.fullsizeoutput_8e4e.jpeg.f9f079089c9239b26a68e937c0593906.jpeg

General Apathy
5 minutes ago, pararaftanr2 said:

Wow Ken, that "radial engine" cupola can shoot in all directions! Too funny.

Thanks for the fast identification of the ' flying radial machine-gun cupola ' hahhaaaaa, mistakes are made everyday especially with some of the predictive text apps, but I thought this ' cupola ' was one that would raise a laugh amongst forum members.

.fullsizeoutput_8e55.jpeg.2662e5e4e51df9b9cf48154f91d87bf6.jpeg

General Apathy

More wartime Quartermaster paperwork . . . . .

Here's another sheet that I found amongst a bundle of 500 leggings, the sheet is for 120 leggings towards the bundle of 500, again selected by 'Lightfoot ' but this time packed by ' Rattle ' .

The reverse side is again interesting as it lists undershirts summer, undershirts wool, three types of Brassards, and thirteen Rayon hat cords, these are sub-divided into 54 inch and 57 inch lengths. 

.fullsizeoutput_8e50.jpeg.8833be148b2a58aec3418854c705d106.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8e52.jpeg.95dc89ae146829aa744936058f94c2b9.jpeg

General Apathy

Jerrycan pouring spouts . . . . . . . .  WWII American & German models. 

attached photos for the flexible pouring spouts used on American or German fuel cans.

The American pouring spout attaches to the can by expanding the rubber seal into the mouth of the can by use of a cam operated by the moveable lever, in use not actually a really secure fitting, falls apart easily. 

The German pouring spout attaches by the use of two arms that slot into the two fixings on either side of the can opening, a more secure fitting. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 11  2021.

.fullsizeoutput_8f16.jpeg.52d2443ec81b7b3b369d41bd660ea8b8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8f1d.jpeg.0ee02e1b5292a46e081aff5832c17448.jpeg