Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Johan Willaert
On 2/22/2021 at 9:47 AM, General Apathy said:

what are the things called in front of you and above you, are they really parts of a Jeep . . . . . . . . . . :unsure:

I thought you wouldn't recognise them... They are called a windshield which folds down onto the hood... And the thing on top is a... top....

Now you have those too, only on your jeep they are a windscreen which folds down onto the bonnet... and on top is a hood....

:-) :-)

The windscreen is used to lessen your intake of insect-based protein when you're on a diet, and the top is used to keep the gear lever dry in case of rain 😆

General Apathy
2 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

I thought you wouldn't recognise them... They are called a windshield which folds down onto the hood... And the thing on top is a... top....

Now you have those too, only on your jeep they are a windscreen which folds down onto the bonnet... and on top is a hood....

:-) :-)

Hi Johan,

Screens been on the engine hood for forty years, and I have never carried a canvas top / hood in forty years . . . . . . . . . 

( actually it has worked rather well in keeping Free-Loaders away . . . . . . . )

.fullsizeoutput_936a.jpeg.56c31b63a402afcc5f34f3f00377c048.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 23  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy
1 hour ago, earlymb said:

The windscreen is used to lessen your intake of insect-based protein when you're on a diet, and the top is used to keep the gear lever dry in case of rain 😆

Hi David,

.fullsizeoutput_934d.jpeg.5b0385f44a7be6787c69d2e869cc7d39.jpeg

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy

Hahahhaaaaa,  Even the military warned drivers to lower windscreens and cover . . . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_938c.jpeg.5b5c5791a972a04975d8012d1cabcffb.jpeg

41 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hahahhaaaaa,  Even the military warned drivers to lower windscreens and cover . . . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_938c.jpeg.5b5c5791a972a04975d8012d1cabcffb.jpeg

Ken,

This is interesting. Was this a safety precaution so they could see the people in the jeep?

...Kat

General Apathy
22 minutes ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

This is interesting. Was this a safety precaution so they could see the people in the jeep?

...Kat

Hi Kat,  the image was taken in Italy and it would be sunny and the reflection on the glass would attract attention from the German side. . .  . . . . ., there were canvas covers for the windscreen and also the front headlights.

2 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,  the image was taken in Italy and it would be sunny and the reflection on the glass would attract attention from the German side. . .  . . . . ., there were canvas covers for the windscreen and also the front headlights.

Ken,

AHHH..that makes much more sense! Hahaha!

Your knowledge of jeep trivia is never ending. I would love to just sit back and listen to you and Johan talk about jeeps. 

...Kat

I have not been a forum member for very long, but I just ran across this thread started in 2007!   I started reading post #1 from 2007 a few minutes ago, and unfortunately, have got to go run an errand for my better half.  But, I plan on returning this afternoon and read it from start to finish.  Remarkable!  Thanks General A. for what is the most interesting thread I have ever found on-line!

1 hour ago, BryanJ said:

I have not been a forum member for very long, but I just ran across this thread started in 2007!   I started reading post #1 from 2007 a few minutes ago, and unfortunately, have got to go run an errand for my better half.  But, I plan on returning this afternoon and read it from start to finish.  Remarkable!  Thanks General A. for what is the most interesting thread I have ever found on-line!

Welcome to NDL!  I found this thread in similar fashion a few years ago.  It's my favorite place on the web.  Hope you have as much fun catching up as I did!  

Mikie

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi David,

Hi David,

I hear that insects are high in protein!  

Hi Johan,

Screens been on the engine hood for forty years, and I have never carried a canvas top / hood in forty years . . . . . . . . . 

( actually it has worked rather well in keeping Free-Loaders away . . . . . . . )

.fullsizeoutput_936a.jpeg.56c31b63a402afcc5f34f3f00377c048.jpeg

Nice photo!  

1 hour ago, mikie said:

Welcome to NDL!  I found this thread in similar fashion a few years ago.  It's my favorite place on the web.  Hope you have as much fun catching up as I did!  

Mikie

Completely agree! This is my favorite thread on the forum! 

General Apathy
19 hours ago, BryanJ said:

Hi BryanJ,  

Welcome along, pleased that you found the thread and hope that you enjoy catching up on the posts,  it's only taken thirteen years to get to where we are today and with a few laughs along the way. . . . . . . . . :lol:

it's with the encouragement of a number of forum members that we are still here today . . . . . ;)

.fullsizeoutput_1129.jpeg.71a65fa5b1d93bcfe0bc41e1d5635bef.jpeg

General Apathy
19 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie

Hi Mikie, 

.fullsizeoutput_93ba.jpeg.30aedce1952dc9297db374bbe8ce5a31.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 24  2021.

General Apathy
18 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Completely agree! This is my favorite thread on the forum! 

Hi Kat,

.fullsizeoutput_93ba.jpeg.bad7ea1d4eb1aacdf7cf9643e8b7768a.jpeg

General Apathy
19 hours ago, mikie said:

.fullsizeoutput_936a.jpeg.c8402d5a3770a1c2bf12bbd26e0e6fd7.jpeg

Nice photo !  Mikie. 

Hi Mikie, 

Thanks for your liking the photo . . . . . . . . . . ;)  Here's my calling card, again no windscreen. !!!! :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_93a4.jpeg.79e79b244d7b9474efa6d2fbd76b5bb3.jpeg 

Johan Willaert
8 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Here's my calling card, again no windscreen. !!!! :lol:

fullsizeoutput_93a4.jpeg.79e79b244d7b9474efa6d2fbd76b5bb3.jpeg

Just made a couple.....with windshield and top for the Mss.....

Jeep.jpg

General Apathy
52 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Just made a couple.....with windshield and top for the Mss.....

.fullsizeoutput_9401.jpeg.c2e1e73525828cf818edf2f060ce9701.jpeg

Hi Johan,  

Is that the Surrey with a fringe on-top, apologies to Oscar Hammerstein  . . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_9401.jpeg.c2e1e73525828cf818edf2f060ce9701.jpeg

Johan Willaert
3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Is that the Surrey with a fringe on-top, apologies to Oscar Hammerstein  . . . . . . . . . . 

Nah, that would look more like this....

BTW it has been partly repainted now...

JeepGathering07Jun14 (15).jpg

General Apathy
2 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Hi Johan,

Both the pink one and the blue one on the right of the photo were owned by two Norwegian girls, the pink one was a sixteenth birthday present from her father, I think I recall it being a really straight bodied Ford GPW. . . . . . . ^_^

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . . 

Back in the 1980's & 1990's I had the honour and pleasure of knowing and spending time visiting Ernest Childers who won the Medal of Honor in Italy 1943.  ( I remember I visited a military surplus store in Tulsa with Ernest and I bought a U.S. Army foot measuring device )

Ernest was born in 1918 in Broken Arrow OK. and died in 2005, he served from 1937 to 1966 in the U.S. Army 45th Division.

Ernest gave me several pieces of clothing and equipment from his wartime service ( he also offered me his farm which he no longer worked and his 1970's Cadillac which he no longer used, I had to turn both of these down as I lived in the UK

Here are three pieces he gave me his Pre-War 45th patch, one of his spare wartime 45th patches and a U.S. Army whistle he used early on in his career before being shipped to the ETO. 

.fullsizeoutput_2f04.jpeg.713ada8660da7f8c90901334d8057a71.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_9325.jpeg.1919fdde54ccafeb19f9940f98599591.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_93d0.jpeg.3169b5e79969b4ceb93646e3823b8e81.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_9445.jpeg.49723c22d6b3a0431f206c0c539df5b8.jpeg

General Apathy
3 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Hi Johan, 

While we are talking Jeeps heres another camouflaged Jeep on one of my cinema advert stills from ' Battle of the Bulge ',  a post-war M38 Jeep and M37 Dodge behind it . . . . . . . . . :mellow:

.fullsizeoutput_942f.jpeg.ad0c7e8ae414e38eef1a23f57b53bc19.jpeg