Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
3 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Don't we all..... Remember this one, Ken.... taken in your garden in the Summer of 2016...

Ellen-LewisJacket-Aug2016 (1).JPG

Hi Johan,

yes I remember that visit a lot of fun and the photographs that were taken, funny to think that at that time the jacket was older than your daughter !!!!

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 13  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . .  WWII recognition models

Shown here are three different manufacturing styles. . . . . . . .   

The Catalina flying boat is made of a resin and material construction formed in moulds. 

( this one need a little care and attention to bond the front body together again ) 

The Lysander is all wood construction. ( just needs a clean, I was flying to get these posted before Jane arrives for an evening meal ) 

The third one the Fortress is more unusual and possibly more rarely seen it's a slot together manufacture of cut pressed cardboard  . .

( I have had this one assembled but it's of a more fragile construction so I thought it might look better framed as silhouettes ) 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

fullsizeoutput_9005.jpeg.29ba1083af412ee0de3623852d573a0f.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_900b.jpeg.effe8cb03ec396c7f4264b3b1417c2d9.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8ffc.jpeg.5d7544df3e119c2ea19b960796699a61.jpeg

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

we both love our daughters . . . . . . . .

My daughters baby boy is due around the 4 / 8 of June, her married name is ' Day ', we have been having a laugh suggesting names, so how about this one William David Day which would make him William D.Day . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 11  2021.

FUNNY

32 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

yes I remember that visit a lot of fun and the photographs that were taken, funny to think that at that time the jacket was older than your daughter !!!!

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

The Catalina flying boat is made of a resin and material construction formed in moulds. 

( this one need a little care and attention to bond the front body together again ) 

The Lysander is all wood construction. ( just needs a clean, I was flying to get these posted before Jane arrives for an evening meal ) 

The third one the Fortress is more unusual and possibly more rarely seen it's a slot together manufacture of cut pressed cardboard  . .

( I have had this one assembled but it's of a more fragile construction so I thought it might look better framed as silhouettes ) 

fullsizeoutput_9005.jpeg.29ba1083af412ee0de3623852d573a0f.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_900b.jpeg.effe8cb03ec396c7f4264b3b1417c2d9.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8ffc.jpeg.5d7544df3e119c2ea19b960796699a61.jpeg

Neat models. I have a soft spot for Catalinas. Dad was army, but out of boredom stationed on a South Pacific island, he volunteered to be an extra lookout on some Navy patrols during the search for Eddie Rickenbacker. He used to say he loved sitting in the side bubble of a PBY and watch the ocean go by. One of his favorite memories of the war. He said that he learned early to volunteer to help the navy guys whenever he had the chance. Their food was a lot better than army chow. They seemed to appreciate the extra help and fed him well. He was astonished when they gave him ice cream. 

Mikie

On 2/7/2021 at 12:07 AM, doyler said:

I guess better snow drifts than water this time of year... 

2021_02050001.JPG

2021_02050017.JPG

2021_02050007.JPG

Ah, brings back find memories of my first 24 years in Upstate New York. It only took one year in California to thin out my cold weather skin. And to think I used to spend days on a frozen lake ice fishing, and loving it. Ah, youth. 

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Ken,

These are awesome. Recently, I was watching a documentary about the lysander. That was a great plane.

...Kat

On 2/12/2021 at 9:22 AM, General Apathy said:

Valentines night approaches . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_8fc3.jpeg.a4c8c476ff61d286f5eb7a89f8d260cc.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 12  2021.

Ha! Good one.  I knew it was a pool-like game but didn't know the specifics. What did we do before google?

Mikie

General Apathy
17 hours ago, mikie said:

Neat models. I have a soft spot for Catalinas. Dad was army, but out of boredom stationed on a South Pacific island, he volunteered to be an extra lookout on some Navy patrols during the search for Eddie Rickenbacker. He used to say he loved sitting in the side bubble of a PBY and watch the ocean go by. One of his favorite memories of the war. He said that he learned early to volunteer to help the navy guys whenever he had the chance. Their food was a lot better than army chow. They seemed to appreciate the extra help and fed him well. He was astonished when they gave him ice cream. 

Mikie

Hi Mikie,  great story about your fathers service period in the war, perhaps when he got ice-cream he got it in one of these sacks.

.fullsizeoutput_9014.jpeg.b0914f45d11c6b18ab84763823aed8ed.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 14  2021.

General Apathy

Quite the daughter fest here today. But then isn't it one  every day?

Hi Mikie,  sadly it's a worrying time for our family members and our daughters . . . . . .

I got a text last night from my daughter that both parents of one of her work colleagues were taken into hospital with the Covid-19 virus.  The mother was put into an induced coma two weeks ago, her father was on oxygen and looked like he would be being sent home. However he took a turn for the worst and so they put him into an induced coma, two days later he had a heart attack while in the coma and they managed to stabilise him, but he then died two days ago. The mother is still in a coma and unaware that her husband has died, both parents are mid sixties. . . . . . . . . . . . . 

General Apathy
13 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

These are awesome. Recently, I was watching a documentary about the lysander. That was a great plane.

...Kat

Thank you Kat, I have been posting a few more pieces from the Shoebox as I can't get around for Then & Now images.

General Apathy

Normandy monument  . . . . . . . . 

Shown here is a monument at Pretot Ste Suzanne initially placed for Colonel Mendez of the 508th / 82nd PIR.  Since it was initially erected an additional plaque has been added to the marble monument for another member of the 508th / 82nd PIR, Lt. Gene H Williams.

.fullsizeoutput_9015.jpeg.04165d4bc82a25552aaaf19f5b7e6aff.jpeg

.IMG_6094.JPG.a431735c120c840eaacad375467f183c.JPG

General Apathy

Quite the daughter fest here today. But then isn't it one  every day?

Hi Mikie,

Well here's a photograph I received from my daughter today for Valentines day, she has placed a jug of Tulips next to one of her favourite photos of me . . . . . . . .

fullsizeoutput_9016.jpeg.368e4aae1767692f595eb8099a9a247b.jpeg

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Thank you Kat, I have been posting a few more pieces from the Shoebox as I can't get around for Then & Now images.

That makes posting Shoebox items the silver lining to the cloud we are all under.  Gotta look for those wherever we can find them.

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,  sadly it's a worrying time for our family members and our daughters . . . . . .

I got a text last night from my daughter that both parents of one of her work colleagues were taken into hospital with the Covid-19 virus.  The mother was put into an induced coma two weeks ago, her father was on oxygen and looked like he would be being sent home. However he took a turn for the worst and so they put him into an induced coma, two days later he had a heart attack while in the coma and they managed to stabilise him, but he then died two days ago. The mother is still in a coma and unaware that her husband has died, both parents are mid sixties. . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Sad news. Prayers said for one and all. 

General Apathy
On 7/27/2011 at 11:33 AM, Johan Willaert said:

A lot of younger collectors probably already refer to me as one of the 'old farts'.... :blink:

Hi Johan,

well they say the past always comes back to bite you,  having been your birthday this week here's a comment you posted back in July 2011, just ten years ago . . . . . . . . . . . 

Now you are officially ' old ' or older here's a useful suggestion for you . . . . . . . . . ;)

.fullsizeoutput_903b.jpeg.bd4bd7782d9c4432bde6bf263dfc796f.jpeg

General Apathy

Is it, isn't it, was it, wasn't it . . . . . . . . . . . .

I received this photo a few days ago from a Jeeping friend, he had spotted it on a farm on a road that he frequently used, he wondered if I could call past and verify what it was, thoughts of an old WWII Dodge ambulance were mentioned.  I called past there yesterday but it's on private land and I viewed it from the road, it is way too far gone to imagine that there is anything worth saving from it.

And there was way too little left to make a good identification of it, I could see from the roadside that there was a foot operated Singer sewing machine table in there, the rusty springs of the old seats, and various old unidentifiable objects, so we'll give this one a miss.

But all sightings NEED to be investigated . . . . . . . . . . . .  

.fullsizeoutput_903c.jpeg.2ea66bd2599cc33e8851cc4b01f7becf.jpeg 

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Is it, isn't it, was it, wasn't it . . . . . . . . . . . .

I received this photo a few days ago from a Jeeping friend, he had spotted it on a farm on a road that he frequently used, he wondered if I could call past and verify what it was, thoughts of an old WWII Dodge ambulance were mentioned.  I called past there yesterday but it's on private land and I viewed it from the road, it is way too far gone to imagine that there is anything worth saving from it.

And there was way too little left to make a good identification of it, I could see from the roadside that there was a foot operated Singer sewing machine table in there, the rusty springs of the old seats, and various old unidentifiable objects, so we'll give this one a miss.

But all sightings NEED to be investigated . . . . . . . . . . . .  

.fullsizeoutput_903c.jpeg.2ea66bd2599cc33e8851cc4b01f7becf.jpeg 

Was Bigfoot napping in the back? 

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . .

I have had this ball maybe forty years, although I was interested in collecting American sports equipment as part of my U.S. Militaria collection I have never come up with the meaning of ' WIMPY ' as written on this ball, the full text is ' WIMPY, Championship of Paris, Aug 27th 1945 ' printed on the ball below this is ' Special Services, U.S. Army '

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 15  2021.

.fullsizeoutput_8e8f.jpeg.0152fab8729ceb508a4ac9240ba25eca.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8e90.jpeg.534be83a1bc3578ab1d06661c8ee0a3f.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8e91.jpeg.1b6f819bf241ce3d3c47f3d81656b236.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8e92.jpeg.2803652cab015776577aa8e2d091d80a.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8e94.jpeg.0230d007ac15dde1d2ffe5dc1823037c.jpeg

Ken,

"Wimpy" could just be a nickname.  "Wimpy" was a popular character in the Popeye comic strips, with a penchant for hamburgers , he couldn't afford, but would promise to "pay you on Tuesday".

Wimpy.jpg

General Apathy
2 hours ago, pararaftanr2 said:

Ken,

"Wimpy" could just be a nickname.  "Wimpy" was a popular character in the Popeye comic strips, with a penchant for hamburgers , he couldn't afford, but would promise to "pay you on Tuesday".

Wimpy.jpg

Hi Pararafta,

Thanks for the input and I love the classic image you added  . . . . . . . 

General Apathy

" Found in Normandy " . . . . . . . . :P

I visited a flea store opening today on it's first day in operation,  very little of interest mainly big old heavy French furniture, the only military piece I found was an old rusty .30 Cal. ammunition can, priced at  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  phew !!!!  45 euros.  I have seen better thrown away, I have seen worse sold . . . . . . . no rhyme or reason. 

Back when I had the store in 2005 I had around a thousand of these in good condition complete with rubber gasket in the lid, I sold them for £8 each . . . . . . . discount on four. :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_90b8.jpeg.a158b4756f69004878fdf63df8057b65.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_90be.jpeg.77df1c75a52b783fffbfdc2464716a85.jpeg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . another headache.

A store display of Aspirin tablets, interesting that across the top it mentions that the tablets were packed a new style snap open tin.  However the tin version has been replaced with a war economy cardboard pack, in the bottom left corner of the front of the pack it has a copyright date of 1939. but these cardboard packs must be later maybe 1942 or so as on the rear of the cardboard pack it states ' Steel is needed for Tanks, Planes and Ships

.fullsizeoutput_90d4.jpeg.a76e381c4e57eeea38d5c45348a1ca9f.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_90d6.jpeg.5897c3c47018e6b499e13419007143a2.jpeg

16 hours ago, General Apathy said:

" Found in Normandy " . . . . . . . . :P

I visited a flea store opening today on it's first day in operation,  very little of interest mainly big old heavy French furniture, the only military piece I found was an old rusty .30 Cal. ammunition can, priced at  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  phew !!!!  45 euros.  I have seen better thrown away, I have seen worse sold . . . . . . . no rhyme or reason. 

Back when I had the store in 2005 I had around a thousand of these in good condition complete with rubber gasket in the lid, I sold them for £8 each . . . . . . . discount on four. :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_90b8.jpeg.a158b4756f69004878fdf63df8057b65.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_90be.jpeg.77df1c75a52b783fffbfdc2464716a85.jpeg

I see them going for $30 and up. I find them at small Flea markets, yard sales, Etc for under $10