Jump to content

Norman D. Landing


bilko1

Recommended Posts

General Apathy
6 hours ago, mikie said:

Ah, but then our house is in Silicon Valley. A house 6 doors down, in really horrible  "fixer-upper", condition just sold for $1.2 million. First thing the new owners did was tear it apart and start rebuilding. That's close to 4x what we paid back in 2003. Our place was built in 1946. I was hoping I'd find a few WWII footlockers filled with bringbacks up in the attic. No such luck. Just some vintage spider webs.

 

Mikie

.

hahhaaaa Mikie,  well that would take care of your first year of collecting, what would you have to cover the second and subsequent years of collecting . . . . . . . . . :wacko:

 

Hope you checked-out the loft of the house they were tearing apart . . . . . . :huh:

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 22  2021.

 

.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2021 at 5:52 PM, General Apathy said:

.

Coronavirus solutions . . . . . . . 

 

Interesting new baby carriage just launched . . . . . . . . . :unsure:

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 19  2021.

 

.fullsizeoutput_88f8.jpeg.5adfefa764e98da46551ac0a560d09f8.jpeg

 

Definitely no throwing toys out of the pram in this case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2021 at 6:09 PM, General Apathy said:

.

Paying the cost . . . . . . . .

 

normally I suck up the cost of petrol and time to gather Then & Now images, but yesterdays images cost a bit more to bring to the thread,  I also had to suck up another cost yesterday . . . . . . . . . .  :o

 

About five months ago I had four new tyres ( tires ) fitted to the car, and with the lockdown curfews we have endured then I have possibly put way less than a thousand miles on the tyres.  So yesterday it was painful to see one of the tyres scrapped due to an unrepairable slash on the tread from a chunk of metal. :mellow:

 

The tyres have to be high-speed rated for the insurance and model of car . . . . . . . . . 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 19  2021.

 

.IMG_5978.JPG.0eda59f91fa526b44d8ee85fe06bbd17.JPG

 

Ouch.....but high-speed rated tyres?.....were you driving something like this?

 

91183f44bdb8bbb676fddff134a873a1.jpg.ccf3caa9c28c8717bb68189c33350189.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2021 at 1:33 PM, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Mikie,

 

Well here's a better attempt of a Then & Now that my UK Jeeping friend Len took some years ago, and shared with me to add here. 

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 20  2021.

 

.fullsizeoutput_8903.jpeg.818ae4c174b42d6c0591d309c06ea561.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_8902.jpeg.304b6fa2ef7c440d37259422392f3134.jpeg

Really nice one, Len. Thanks for sharing.

 

Rene

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mikie said:

Ah, but then our house is in Silicon Valley. A house 6 doors down, in really horrible  "fixer-upper", condition just sold for $1.2 million. First thing the new owners did was tear it apart and start rebuilding. That's close to 4x what we paid back in 2003. Our place was built in 1946. I was hoping I'd find a few WWII footlockers filled with bringbacks up in the attic. No such luck. Just some vintage spider webs.

 

Mikie

Even though you're 'striking it rich', Mikie, here's a thought for naming the boat after you aquired it.................

 

funny-boat-names-ships-173-5adefc3ce04c6__605.jpg.0ef48fc09c028037d10dd704fc496abd.jpg 

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
8 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Ouch.....but high-speed rated tyres?.....were you driving something like this?

 

91183f44bdb8bbb676fddff134a873a1.jpg.ccf3caa9c28c8717bb68189c33350189.jpg

 

 

.

Hi Rene,

 

The only thing I have in common with this vehicle is the trunk on the rear, I have a couple of those I used for keeping my clothes / uniforms dry in my open Jeep on military vehicle trips.

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 22  2021.

 

.

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
8 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Even though you're 'striking it rich', Mikie, here's a thought for naming the boat after you aquired it.................

 

funny-boat-names-ships-173-5adefc3ce04c6__605.jpg.0ef48fc09c028037d10dd704fc496abd.jpg 

.

Hi Rene,

 

we may have seriously underestimated our forum friend he might already be one of those Big-Bucks Silicon Valley programmers . . . . . . 

we might be in the presence of computer royalty . . . . . . . . . . . .

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 22  2021.

 

.

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy

.

What a day . . . . . . 

 

Sun out,  dry out, laundry out, Jeep out,  servicing and greasing, check through some of the boxes in the garage for a Willys Jeep cylinder head, found an old take-off Willys head just the thing, DOWN came the rain, Jeep back in, laundry in, me in, time for coffee until it passes.

 

Sun out, laundry in, Jeep out, greasing and servicing,  DOWN came the rain . . . . . Jeep in, me in, time for another coffee, cylinder head out, cylinder head wet, very wet.

 

Sun out, me out, Jeep in, cylinder head out & wet, cylinder head in, and on the log fire to dry out . . . . . . . .  time for another coffee.

 

Try and keep up here, local Ford owning friend in need of a Willys head to swop with a local French Willys Jeep owner with a Ford head, my friend needs the Ford head for his Ford Jeep, the French owner wants a Willys head for his Willys Jeep, everyones happy  . . . . . . .

 

Another Jeepers day in Normandy . . . . . . . . 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 22  2021.

 

.fullsizeoutput_82f8.jpeg.3c4fa5a508596eb6207e79a419681f35.jpegtime

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Rene,

 

we may have seriously underestimated our forum friend he might already be one of those Big-Bucks Silicon Valley programmers . . . . . . 

we might be in the presence of computer royalty . . . . . . . . . . . .

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 22  2021.

 

.

Ha ha. My wonderful wife Ana did her house hunting homework very well.  She deserves all the credit for getting us this place.  We bought it on a dip in prices, so good timing on her part.  Real estate around here is insane.  Due to low financing rates these days, our mortgage is actually much less than we'd be paying if we rented.  

I cannot find the article, but several years ago I read that someone found an abandoned PT boat in one of the little Alviso waterways just north of San Jose.  Never did hear what happened to it.  

Mikie

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

.

What a day . . . . . . 

 

Sun out,  dry out, laundry out, Jeep out,  servicing and greasing, check through some of the boxes in the garage for a Willys Jeep cylinder head, found an old take-off Willys head just the thing, DOWN came the rain, Jeep back in, laundry in, me in, time for coffee until it passes.

 

Sun out, laundry in, Jeep out, greasing and servicing,  DOWN came the rain . . . . . Jeep in, me in, time for another coffee, cylinder head out, cylinder head wet, very wet.

 

Sun out, me out, Jeep in, cylinder head out & wet, cylinder head in, and on the log fire to dry out . . . . . . . .  time for another coffee.

 

Try and keep up here, local Ford owning friend in need of a Willys head to swop with a local French Willys Jeep owner with a Ford head, my friend needs the Ford head for his Ford Jeep, the French owner wants a Willys head for his Willys Jeep, everyones happy  . . . . . . .

 

Another Jeepers day in Normandy . . . . . . . . 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 22  2021.

 

.fullsizeoutput_82f8.jpeg.3c4fa5a508596eb6207e79a419681f35.jpegtime

 

There is an old saying back home in Upstate New York... If you don't like the weather, wait a minute.

 

Mikie

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
19 hours ago, mikie said:

There is an old saying back home in Upstate New York... If you don't like the weather, wait a minute.

 

Mikie

.

Hi Mikie,

 

The four seasons in Normandy ( no it's not the name of a pizza )  . . . . . . . . . . . . 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 23  2021.

 

.66bcc69948ba1f3219b9d3b9cd21f473.jpg.3d83aa49e4f52ac8097de91862537dda.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
20 hours ago, mikie said:

 

I cannot find the article, but several years ago I read that someone found an abandoned PT boat in one of the little Alviso waterways just north of San Jose.  Never did hear what happened to it.  

Mikie

.

Hi Mikie,  here's a two minute clip of recovering a sunken patrol boat  . . . . . . . 

 

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 23  2021.


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Mikie,  here's a two minute clip of recovering a sunken patrol boat  . . . . . . . 

 

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 23  2021.


 

 

Oh man, great find and recovery! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy

.

From the Shoebox,  it's been a while . . . . . . . . . . 

 

I just posted these same details on another thread in the Base/Camps section of the forum which related to the use of Zippo lighters in WWII.

 

There were various other cigarette lighters besides ' Zippo's ', these three are ' Park ' lighters two used and one NOS still in its original carton. The unused one and one of the used ones are o.d. crackle finish, and the second used one black crackle finish.  Also out of a footlocker a half filled bottle of lighter fluid,  note that although there's no date on the bottle it predates a zip code. I do wonder why the maker is shown as ' Authorised Brands ' I can't find anything on Google search regarding this company .

 

Park-Sherman lighters were made in Springfield,  Illinois., Interestingly on the side of the lighter box it states ' SURE FIRE . . . . when you are on the SPOT ', and on the bottle it states ' SPOT-LITE lighter fluid ' . . . . . . . . . These two items were in the same footlocker. 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 24  2021.

 

.fullsizeoutput_8a36.jpeg.d1b4cbcd8726c0cc7e30e5b17f386dec.jpeg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy

.

from the Shoebox . . . . . .  twice in one day ^_^

 

Here are ten small pin badges with squadron patch designs given out free with Kellogg's PEP cereals.

 

( The pins moved out of place slightly as I was trying to photograph them it suddenly became windy and started raining ). 

 

To help identify the squadrons they are listed left to right . . . . . 

 

TOP. Navy Squadron 14, 99th Bombardment Squadron, Navy Bombing - Fighting Squadron 12, Marine Bombing Squadron 433

 

MIDDLE.  370th Bombardment Squadron, PEP, PEP, 103rd Observation Squadron

 

BOTTOM. Marine Fighter Squadron VMF224, Navy Patrol Squadron 23, 29th Bombardment Squadron, 471st Bombardment Squadron. 

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 24  2021.

 

.IMG_6005.JPG.4bb3976c3a3fd0745e5867ac2a4c71d8.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
cutiger83
On 1/22/2021 at 5:34 PM, General Apathy said:

.

What a day . . . . . . 

 

Sun out,  dry out, laundry out, Jeep out,  servicing and greasing, check through some of the boxes in the garage for a Willys Jeep cylinder head, found an old take-off Willys head just the thing, DOWN came the rain, Jeep back in, laundry in, me in, time for coffee until it passes.

 

Sun out, laundry in, Jeep out, greasing and servicing,  DOWN came the rain . . . . . Jeep in, me in, time for another coffee, cylinder head out, cylinder head wet, very wet.

 

Sun out, me out, Jeep in, cylinder head out & wet, cylinder head in, and on the log fire to dry out . . . . . . . .  time for another coffee.

 

Try and keep up here, local Ford owning friend in need of a Willys head to swop with a local French Willys Jeep owner with a Ford head, my friend needs the Ford head for his Ford Jeep, the French owner wants a Willys head for his Willys Jeep, everyones happy  . . . . . . .

 

Another Jeepers day in Normandy . . . . . . . . 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 22  2021.

 

 

Ken,

 

Getting caught up on responding to your amazing posts! 

 

You know my very favorite are the "then and now" posts. I love all of them! Your keen eye to detail is unbelievable.

 

My second favorite would be your jeep posts. This one made me crack up. All of you jeepers are so dedicated and make me long for owning one.

 

My third favorite posts are your shoebox finds. My dream is to one day make it over there to see your shoebox. It has to be one of the greatest wonders of the world.

 

I love the video of the PT boat. My first thought when seeing all of the pieces is "We can rebuild her. We have the techonology. " 

 

When I miss responding in this thread for a short time it is amazing to see the treasure trove of responses! My greatest thanks to you, Rene, Johan, Mikie and others for this thread! It is definitely the best one! 

 

...Kat

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
kammo-man

Ken 

It rained in Los Angeles on Saturday and I lit my outdoor Batchelder fire.

No engine block in sight.

owen 

4F2F4785-7933-4F76-B141-36E2291D54D1.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
18 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

 

Getting caught up on responding to your amazing posts! 

 

You know my very favorite are the "then and now" posts. I love all of them! Your keen eye to detail is unbelievable.

 

My second favorite would be your jeep posts. This one made me crack up. All of you jeepers are so dedicated and make me long for owning one.

 

My third favorite posts are your shoebox finds. My dream is to one day make it over there to see your shoebox. It has to be one of the greatest wonders of the world.

 

I love the video of the PT boat. My first thought when seeing all of the pieces is "We can rebuild her. We have the techonology. " 

 

When I miss responding in this thread for a short time it is amazing to see the treasure trove of responses! My greatest thanks to you, Rene, Johan, Mikie and others for this thread! It is definitely the best one! 

 

...Kat

 

 

.

Hi Kat,  once again thank you for saying how much you enjoy the thread and the parts of it . . . . . . . . . . . 

 

Sorry to say that your dream of seeing ' the ' collection is now only that a dream, due to the complexity of owning, storing and displaying I have been selling it off over the last few years and that is actually mainly all that is left the dream, I didn't want to be ' he who dies with the most toys wins ' , more like too many problems for my daughter to deal with.  

 

I agree with you thanks to Rene, Johan, Mikie, yourself and others for keeping this thread rolling, thirteen years now . . . . . . . . . . .

 

So three of the items that you like in the thread, Something from Then,  something about Jeeps, something I had in my Collection ( the uniform of Richard K. Yardley, 508th )

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 25  2021.

 

.fullsizeoutput_874c.jpeg.d56789fefaf163b780b385444a81c071.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_8a0c.jpeg.76f69fde86d0824a766508cbbc03bafb.jpeg

 

.post-344-1168807219.jpg.635bc082d79b15cec0c36dcc543c96c7.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
7 hours ago, kammo-man said:

Ken 

It rained in Los Angeles on Saturday and I lit my outdoor Batchelder fire.

No engine block in sight.

owen 

4F2F4785-7933-4F76-B141-36E2291D54D1.jpeg

.

Hi Owen,  

 

Well first off an outdoor fire in California ????, secondly it would look better with pair of engine bay doors off a Sherman ???

 

and news that an old friend Jim is featured in the latest issue of Classic Military Vehicle  . . . . . . . . my copy hasn't arrived yet but I look forward to seeing if I can spot you in the background of any of the ' Fury ' images.

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 25  2021.

 

classic-military-vehicle-magazine-february-2021-cover.jpg.5b4c0abea7a569614f699ed3860cb71d.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Owen,  

 

Well first off an outdoor fire in California ????, secondly it would look better with pair of engine bay doors off a Sherman ???

 

and news that an old friend Jim is featured in the latest issue of Classic Military Vehicle  . . . . . . . . my copy hasn't arrived yet but I look forward to seeing if I can spot you in the background of any of the ' Fury ' images.

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 25  2021.

 

classic-military-vehicle-magazine-february-2021-cover.jpg.5b4c0abea7a569614f699ed3860cb71d.jpg

Well, they look pretty close already, don't you think.....and how about a nice deflector

 

sher008.jpg.97792630743f9611e90537a7441f7522.jpg

 

M4A1_76W3.jpg.628bc013645457199ebf84594e611584.jpg

 

Rene

Link to post
Share on other sites
kammo-man

Ken 

Jim deserves the front cover !

Give him my love when you talk to him next.

 

I was down at Long Beach flea market on Sunday.

Here’s a small part of the vast WW2 building Douglas Aircraft manufacturing plant.

 

AB3BE80C-65D5-4FCE-8B09-19A3179571EE.jpeg

564AD8C2-D256-4379-8556-4B02C484C975.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
22 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Well, they look pretty close already, don't you think.....and how about a nice deflector

 

sher008.jpg.97792630743f9611e90537a7441f7522.jpg

 

 

Rene

.

Hi Rene,  yes I have to agree that they do look similar to a pair of Sherman doors,  perhaps Owen should make the surrounds of the fire look like the rest of the tank with some tracks either side of the doors and a couple of armoured divisional markings  . . . . . . .  :lol: :lol: 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 26  2021.

 

.

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
20 hours ago, kammo-man said:

Ken 

Jim deserves the front cover !

Give him my love when you talk to him next.

 

I was down at Long Beach flea market on Sunday.

Here’s a small part of the vast WW2 building Douglas Aircraft manufacturing plant.

 

 

20 hours ago, kammo-man said:

564AD8C2-D256-4379-8556-4B02C484C975.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8a83.jpeg.18235fae021fbf328686f2bdef8f3a43.jpeg

.

Hi Owen,  many thanks for the photos of the Douglas plant, here's the closest image I could add of it . . . . . 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 26  2021.

 

.

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy

.

Normandy Then & Now . . . . .  todays image.

 

This image shows the damaged Bar Central in the town centre, it was rebuilt again after the war and modernised several times since then. 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 26  2021.

 

.fullsizeoutput_8a7e.jpeg.7b56f60f73a28b6160ed5458e24ce96c.jpeg

 

 

.fullsizeoutput_8a80.jpeg.0e2151bf955d337fbbf7c7e9df070e08.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
kammo-man

Ken 

Good match.

Only a hundred yards off !

Next time I am there I will picture Rose the rivetter monument and its 2 minutes from that corner also.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.