Norman D. Landing

bilko1

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

From the Shoebox . . . . . . another headache.

A store display of Aspirin tablets, interesting that across the top it mentions that the tablets were packed a new style snap open tin.  However the tin version has been replaced with a war economy cardboard pack, in the bottom left corner of the front of the pack it has a copyright date of 1939. but these cardboard packs must be later maybe 1942 or so as on the rear of the cardboard pack it states ' Steel is needed for Tanks, Planes and Ships

.fullsizeoutput_90d4.jpeg.a76e381c4e57eeea38d5c45348a1ca9f.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_90d6.jpeg.5897c3c47018e6b499e13419007143a2.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 15  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

NJCE

19 hours ago, General Apathy said:

" Found in Normandy " . . . . . . . . :P

I visited a flea store opening today on it's first day in operation,  very little of interest mainly big old heavy French furniture, the only military piece I found was an old rusty .30 Cal. ammunition can, priced at  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  phew !!!!  45 euros.  I have seen better thrown away, I have seen worse sold . . . . . . . no rhyme or reason. 

Back when I had the store in 2005 I had around a thousand of these in good condition complete with rubber gasket in the lid, I sold them for £8 each . . . . . . . discount on four. :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_90b8.jpeg.a158b4756f69004878fdf63df8057b65.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_90be.jpeg.77df1c75a52b783fffbfdc2464716a85.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 15  2021.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Wow!  That's a lotta cans!  I bought one in nice shape at the flea market about 5 years ago for $10.  Strange that the dealer said that someone bought the full ammo belts that was in it a earlier in the day, but that he didn't want the can.  Doesn't make much sense to me, but there are strange people in the world.  Just not sure if it was the guy who wanted to carry  loose belts of ammo around a flea market, or the dealer telling the story.  

Mikie

3 hours ago, mikie said:

Wow!  That's a lotta cans!  I bought one in nice shape at the flea market about 5 years ago for $10.  Strange that the dealer said that someone bought the full ammo belts that was in it a earlier in the day, but that he didn't want the can.  Doesn't make much sense to me, but there are strange people in the world.  Just not sure if it was the guy who wanted to carry  loose belts of ammo around a flea market, or the dealer telling the story.  

Mikie

I was at a flea market two summers ago and a guy had 6 WWI M1916 Bacon cans. A guy was looking at them so I stayed back. He then walked away looking at his phone looking on line. I walked up and bought them all for $20.  As I walked away the guy came back and told the vendor what they were and they were worth $15 each. You snooze you lose

General Apathy
15 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie

Hi Mikie,  

I recall somewhere in the late 90's the US military disposed of vast amounts of ' out of date ' .50 Calibre ammunition, a facility was given the job of safely deactivating and disposal of the ammunition which left them with huge amounts of empty .50 Cal cans, these were sold off to surplus dealers . . . . . . . all of them were in great condition.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 17  2021.

General Apathy

In search of a photograph . . . . . . . . 

I would be very interested and grateful if anyone could help with providing a larger image of this photograph showing the right hand side / complete rear of this Jeep.

Many thanks in anticipation that someone might be able to help.

.fullsizeoutput_9119.jpeg.a37a14ec6498930b6efebb46f3dcca93.jpeg

General Apathy
38 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Back to a Jeep update.... Olive Drab has been applied....
Now the fun of assembling it all begins..

212-GPW56685-16Feb21 (6).JPG

Hi Johan,

thanks for the progress photo,  . . . . . . . . in view of the current cold spell and snowfall everywhere it might be warmer to continue the assembly indoors rather than in a cold garage . . . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:  Go ahead the wife phoned and said it would be OK .

Johan Willaert
28 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

.Go ahead the wife phoned and said it would be OK 

Funny you should say that.... Made me think of this..... ;-)

87475238_2591841161060588_5184522273599520768_n.jpg

General Apathy
44 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Funny you should say that.... Made me think of this..... ;-)

87475238_2591841161060588_5184522273599520768_n.jpg

Hi Johan,

funny I had the same sign in my store twenty years ago . . . . . . . . .B)

3 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Back to a Jeep update.... Olive Drab has been applied....
Now the fun of assembling it all begins..

Johan,

Looking good! You and Ken make me want a jeep so badly!!

...Kat

10 hours ago, General Apathy said:

In search of a photograph . . . . . . . . 

I would be very interested and grateful if anyone could help with providing a larger image of this photograph showing the right hand side / complete rear of this Jeep.

Many thanks in anticipation that someone might be able to help.

.fullsizeoutput_9119.jpeg.a37a14ec6498930b6efebb46f3dcca93.jpeg

Ken,

Do you know any background regarding the picture? Location? Date? 

...Kat

General Apathy
26 minutes ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

Do you know any background regarding the picture? Location? Date? 

...Kat

Hi Kat,

I think its in the Ardennes possibly December 1944 or early 1945 . . . . . . . The soldier holding the weapon has a tank destroyer patch on his sleeve.  

Johan Willaert

I have never seen a version of this photo where the complete rear of the Jeep is visible...

The Jeep is a Ford GPW produced between February and July 1942 as evidenced by the Ford script logo, the lack of trailer socket and the high positioned rear reflector plus the lack of trailer chain rings on the pintle hook. The Jerrycan holder has been added to the jeep post factory.
Because the right rear is not visible it is impossible to see whether the Jeep was built on a Willys MB Midland type made frame which would confirm one of the very earliest GPWs... but definitely first yhalf of 1942
Photo was obviously taken in  Winter 1944-45 in the Ardennes area...

I have kept this photo on file as it shows two GIs from a Tank Destroyer unit inspecting a captured German SturmGewehr which is missing its front sight protection cover, exactly like the MP43 from my collection... also shown below..

GPW-Script-TankDestroyer-MP44-NoSightCover.jpg

MP43-MP44Mag.JPG

General Apathy
26 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

I have never seen a version of this photo where the complete rear of the Jeep is visible...

The Jeep is a Ford GPW produced between February and July 1942 as evidenced by the Ford script logo, the lack of trailer socket and the high positioned rear reflector plus the lack of trailer chain rings on the pintle hook. The Jerrycan holder has been added to the jeep post factory.
Because the right rear is not visible it is impossible to see whether the Jeep was built on a Willys MB Midland type made frame which would confirm one of the very earliest GPWs... but definitely first yhalf of 1942
Photo was obviously taken in  Winter 1944-45 in the Ardennes area...

I have kept this photo on file as it shows two GIs from a Tank Destroyer unit inspecting a captured German SturmGewehr which is missing its front sight protection cover, exactly like the MP43 from my collection... also shown below..

GPW-Script-TankDestroyer-MP44-NoSightCover.jpg

MP43-MP44Mag.JPG

Hi Johan,

Thanks,  we have both spotted all the same details and the post factory added jerrycan holder, however in your excellent detailed list you left out whether the jerrycan is British or German and date of manufacture . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

For adding all the detail I will buy you a beer on your next visit, should you have had the complete photo I might have stretched to two beers . . . . . . . . .  :rolleyes:

Johan Willaert
11 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

however in your excellent detailed list you left out whether the jerrycan is British or German and date of manufacture . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

I bet it's British made in 1943..... ;-)

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . 

An unused home-front punch card with ninety push out squares on the full card,  it's unclear what the prizes are, they are only described as ' pieces ' maybe it was fudge or something similar.  There is no actual date on the card but the image of Hitler and the phrase ' Buy U.S. Defense Bonds and Stamps ' puts it squarely into a WWII time frame.  Printed by Hamilton Mfg. Minneapolis, Minn. 

.fullsizeoutput_90f8.jpeg.525fbe91ea723f0a09c98442b748fdca.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 18  2021.

General Apathy
3 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

OK, Ken, here's on for you.... What timeframe was this iconic Jeep grille made??? 

Grille.jpg

Hi Johan,

well you have me over a barrel with this question, you have had the opportunity of handling this item, there's obviously a reason for your question maybe some detail obvious to you but not to me in the photo. it's almost like ' how long is my piece of string ' .

I can see it's not a first pattern as there is no indent obvious in the top edge, I can't see the return on the lower curves to see if it's Hotchkiss, this pressed style has been made from 42 for originals, until the 60's for Hotchkiss copies, and till today if a reproduction.  

I can see several areas of damage which would indicate that it should be an original, damage to the left deflector plate, repair to the outside of the left  headlight.

So tell me the answer  . . . . 

Johan Willaert
10 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

I can see it's not a first pattern as there is no indent obvious in the top edge, I can't see the return on the lower curves to see if it's Hotchkiss, this pressed style has been made from 42 for originals, until the 60's for Hotchkiss copies, and till today if a reproduction.  

Pretty close and it actually is a first pattern GPW grille with NO INDENT in the top edge...
Was only used for a couple of months in 1942 when they still removed the excess welding on the inside central front of the hood (bonnet) seam... Later on for less time consuming reasons they left the welding in place and pressed the indent in the top edge of the grille...

Although my August 1942 GPW was too late to be fitted with this type, somehow it was mounted on it either from the factory or later, but I have always had this grille on my GPW...

Below the F mark on the center of the top deflector...

196-GPW56685-19Jan21 (24).JPG

Ken and Johan,

Your jeep knowledge is amazing. I believe the two of you combined could outshine everyone else in the world when it comes to jeep trivia.

...Kat

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

Pretty close and it actually is a first pattern GPW grille with NO INDENT in the top edge...
Was only used for a couple of months in 1942 when they still removed the excess welding on the inside central front of the hood (bonnet) seam... Later on for less time consuming reasons they left the welding in place and pressed the indent in the top edge of the grille...

Although my August 1942 GPW was too late to be fitted with this type, somehow it was mounted on it either from the factory or later, but I have always had this grille on my GPW...

Below the F mark on the center of the top deflector...

196-GPW56685-19Jan21 (24).JPG

Hi Johan,

thanks for the reply on the grill, enjoyed our discussion on email regarding the rear panel of your Jeep and the positioning of the reflectors etc.  

Another couple of Jeeps have been seen in the area, one is finished and on the road but the owner is unknown to us as yet. The other has arrived at Peters and he will be doing a restoration on it.  He was laughing a few days ago as during inspection of it he spotted that some previous owner had made solder repairs to several holes in the steel brake-pipe across the rear axle instead of simply and safely replacing the pipe . . .  wouldn't have fancied doing an emergency brake job with a system like this . . . . . . . . . . . . 

General Apathy
35 minutes ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken and Johan,

Your jeep knowledge is amazing. I believe the two of you combined could outshine everyone else in the world when it comes to jeep trivia.

...Kat

Hi Kat,

thanks for your confidence but I have to say that Johan knows much more than I do, there was very little written or available in my early days of Jeeping, the benefit now of the many books and on-line facilities for sharing information and images. 

When I started in the UK it was very much a need to find abandoned farm yard Jeeps. Now there are endless Jeep dealers in the UK and companies shipping Jeeps and spares in from around the far reaches of the globe. Finds are being made in the deepest reaches of the planet Australia, Micronesia, South & North America the Jeep has become a highly desired collectors vehicle.

Johan Willaert
4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

When I started in the UK it was very much a need to find abandoned farm yard Jeeps. Now there are endless Jeep dealers in the UK and companies shipping Jeeps and spares in from around the far reaches of the globe. Finds are being made in the deepest reaches of the planet Australia, Micronesia, South & North America the Jeep has become a highly desired collectors vehicle.

Thx Kat, but as Ken says; it is much easier now than it was when we first got our Jeeps....

When I bought my Jeep in 1983 and restored it in the years following that, only things we had were the original manuals, some period photos showing details and the Jeeps that were already there as examples... For parts we had to relay on some surplus stores or the occasional swap with fellow jeepers....
Some books came out in the mid-1980s, but it wasnt really until the internet appeared that information and details began circulating in earnest...
Now books, sites and sharing of knowledge and info are plentiful and even after having owned a jeep for nearly 40 years, I'm still learning new details every week...
That is the reason that two years ago I decided to take my complete and running Jeep apart again and do another frame up restoration with all the extra knowledge and experience I have now and didn't have when I 'restored' it first....
Bringing it up to my 2021 standards and hopefully bring me fun for the next couple of decades.....

4 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

When I bought my Jeep in 1983 and restored it in the years following that, only things we had were the original manuals, some period photos showing details and the Jeeps that were already there as examples... For parts we had to relay on some surplus stores or the occasional swap with fellow jeepers....

Johan,

Are there many original jeep parts left or do y'all have to get after market parts for restoring?

I have seen posts where you and Ken talk about parts with the F on them.

...Kat

Johan Willaert

Just about every part of a Jeep is available as reproduction, but many originals are still around too..

Glad the vast majority of the F marked parts on my Jeep are the original ones...