Jump to content

Norman D. Landing


bilko1

Recommended Posts

Owen, those are nice colourful tiles. I hadn't heard of Batchelder either. Learned something again.

 

I understand the attraction of those tiles. I have some Dutch tiles hanging around at home. Most of you will probably know the Delft blue ones but these are from a place called Makkum and have some age to them. I like 'm.

 

 

SAM_1044.JPG.ca88aa1f48e0c6410549f7bb11330aae.JPG

 

SAM_1045.JPG.b097f47646245c1e5e8519730a894b8c.JPG

 

Rene

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Mikie,

 

I see that you added a ' like ' to the postcard image, well we have had so much rain that what was once a grassed field is now a quagmire of mud to drive over  . . . . . . . . . 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 28  2021.

 

.fullsizeoutput_8a68.jpeg.38423b72d4c1c8f78ca9d82766fc0244.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_8a6a.jpeg.1a0c847a2a612ee644c646a736d7b3ed.jpeg

Unfortunately it's the same over here. Rain all day long.

 

Rene

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Owen,  nice old fireplace was that already in the property you have or did you add it to the property after you moved in.

 

When I sold my Victorian house the new owners replaced all the antique sash window frames with UVpC frames, ripped out all the original cast iron decorative fire places bricked up the voids and hung modern radiators in place of the fire, ripped out all the Victorian antique airing cupboards in the bathroom and built a shower unit of glass blocks in its place. all the decorative ceiling work was removed etc, etc.  When the wife showed me around once when I called in to enquire if there was any mail for me she looked at my face and said ' you don't like anything that we have done do you ', I never called there again. 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 28  2021.

 

.fullsizeoutput_7fce.jpeg.941d9b667b2352c69b407a631d276133.jpeg

It's a good thing you didn't sell them your Jeep. Who knows how they would have 'improved' on that.

 

Rene

Link to post
Share on other sites
kammo-man

R
I love those Dutch ones also !


I also should have added when I first got into tiles I asked a well known collector about the passion he said to me
“If you collect tiles you are known as A Tile NUT”.
Kinda like Militaria then.
O


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
kammo-man

Some companies made colorful tiles and I tried to get at least one tile from each of the other LA companies.

Then I built a small outdoor roof covering my balcony door.

Collecting and functional and easy on the eye.

Ken 

You find some good Normandy carved stone !

I would make use of that any day !

 

025F011C-4776-4D5E-995F-2A5880586366.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Mikie,

 

I see that you added a ' like ' to the postcard image, well we have had so much rain that what was once a grassed field is now a quagmire of mud to drive over  . . . . . . . . . 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 28  2021.

 

.fullsizeoutput_8a68.jpeg.38423b72d4c1c8f78ca9d82766fc0244.jpeg

 

.fullsizeoutput_8a6a.jpeg.1a0c847a2a612ee644c646a736d7b3ed.jpeg

I'm sure there is a direct connection from the fact you put up your postcard to the fact that our so-far dry rainy season has suddenly come to an abrupt stop.  It's been coming down pretty steadily for 2 days now.  At least the howling wind from Tuesday has died down a bit.  We may be seeing the sun tomorrow?  Keep your powder dry, everyone!

 

Mikie

 

  

Rain 1-28-21.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kammo-man said:

Mikie 

Its all about how creative you want to be , how much time and patience you donate.

929C248C-9830-43D5-8DBB-DE45F044CEFF.jpeg

49656132-6B53-4229-A5B4-E1A69C609970.jpeg

D0A1B1CC-D41F-41B5-B213-DC400198947F.jpeg

That is all awesome stuff, Owen.  I love it! 

Mikie 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2021 at 10:54 AM, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Mikie,

 

The four seasons in Normandy ( no it's not the name of a pizza )  . . . . . . . . . . . . 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 23  2021.

 

.66bcc69948ba1f3219b9d3b9cd21f473.jpg.3d83aa49e4f52ac8097de91862537dda.jpg

 

Ha!  That's great!  Reminds me of how I remember the seasons back home in Upstate New York.  Except there the Hiver panel would be buried in snow.  

At work one June day shortly after moving here to California, everyone at work stopped and went over to stare out the open overhead door.  Bewildered since I couldn't see anything through the pouring rain outside, I went over and asked what they were all looking at.  They said with some amount of awe, they were watching the rain.  When I asked why, they said it never rains in June.  What a concept!  Even the bosses didn't mind the whole place taking an extra break to watch it. 

 

Speaking of the Hiver panel, is that a shrimp at the bottom?  Is that the season for them?  

 

Mikie

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
kammo-man

Sharing Mikie’s love of the rain.

It just started in LA.

As I come from Ireland I grew up with the rain as normal.

In SoCal it’s an actual talked about event.

The news does special reports on the storm.

I built my little vintage tile roof to enjoy the rain !!!

Here it comes.

D2CF087B-856D-4DF1-855D-0EAEFE62B8B7.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Johan Willaert
13 hours ago, mikie said:

They said with some amount of awe, they were watching the rain.  When I asked why, they said it never rains in June.  What a concept!

 

June.....
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
22 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Day CANTERBURY

 

https://www.honorstates.org/index.php?id=57966

He was born in McKenzie County, North Dakota. Later he lived in Montgomery county, Maryland. He enlisted in the Army on December 1, 1942 in Baltimore, Maryland.

 

★ Bronze Star

★ Purple Heart

★ Combat Infantryman Badge

★ Marksmanship Badge

★ World War II Victory Medal

★ American Campaign Medal

★ Army Presidential Unit Citation

★ Army Good Conduct Medal

★ European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign

57966.jpg

.

Johan, I have been asked to pass this onto you . . . . . . . . . 

 

" The family can’t stop thanking you ... on their bucket list to come over!

Many tears etc, but thank you thank you thank you is coming over loud & clear !! "

 

And once again thanks from me for the quick, speedy detailed response 

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 29  2021.

 

.

 


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Johan Willaert

My pleasure, Ken... Always good the be able to help...

 

Cheers,

 

Johan

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy

.

Missing photographic record of U.S. ' Blitz ' petrol can manufacture . . . . . . . . .

 

Credit is given to German designers for the design of the WWII Jerrycan, almost exactly copied and adopted by the British forces, however the American ' Blitz ' can was of a completly different design. I understand the simplicity of the American can it needed very little or no welding compared to the German and British designs, sadly the lack of a connected pouring spout was the downside of the American can  There are quite a few photographs of the manufacture of German and British cans, but I have never found any photographs regarding the manufacture of U.S. cans. 

 

So my question here is,  does anyone have ANY photographs of U.S. cans being manufactured, please post if you do. 

 

Below shows the complicated procedure of welding two halves of a can together, a female employee of the British company Fisher & Ludlow welding the pouring spot to one half of the can, before joining the two halves and adding the handles. 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 29  2021.

 

.Jerrycan-fabrication.jpg.904bae1578422244e8756b0642c31ca5.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy

.

Family hand down . . . . . . . .

 

My grandfather on my fathers side served in the WWI British Machine Gun Corp and this is his cap badge, the period photo is a generic image of the type of unit he served with.

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 30  2021.

 

.fullsizeoutput_8b59.jpeg.16a599eaa84c468269e518008cdbd84c.jpeg

 

.0df709dc5e2ef6f84023d446837a0c12.jpg.28c59002f7ef8347ea38ebafc5303386.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
cutiger83
10 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

Family hand down . . . . . . . .

 

My grandfather on my fathers side served in the WWI British Machine Gun Corp and this is his cap badge, the period photo is a generic image of the type of unit he served with.

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 30  2021.

 

.fullsizeoutput_8b59.jpeg.16a599eaa84c468269e518008cdbd84c.jpeg

 

.

Ken,

 

That is beautiful! What a nice heirloom!!

 

...Kat

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

Family hand down . . . . . . . .

 

My grandfather on my fathers side served in the WWI British Machine Gun Corp and this is his cap badge, the period photo is a generic image of the type of unit he served with.

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 30  2021.

 

.fullsizeoutput_8b59.jpeg.16a599eaa84c468269e518008cdbd84c.jpeg

 

.0df709dc5e2ef6f84023d446837a0c12.jpg.28c59002f7ef8347ea38ebafc5303386.jpg

I've always liked British cap badges and it becomes extra special if it belonged to a member of your family.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If some of you wondered where some of that European rain went......

 

Took this picture of the river Maas at Venlo this morning. Nothing critical. The rivers level strongly depends on rainfall in the French and Belgian Ardennes.

 

DSC_7405.JPG.9eaee1003125bd18cd0e3533aeb6c030.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
On 1/28/2021 at 9:16 PM, kammo-man said:


I also should have added when I first got into tiles I asked a well known collector about the passion he said to me
“If you collect tiles you are known as A Tile NUT”.
Kinda like Militaria then.
O


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.

Hi Owen,   I spoke with Jim yesterday and I related that you were a Tile-Nut and I told him all the work you had done around your house and garden,  he was quite interested to hear of your second predilection in life for ceramic tiles . . . . . . . . we won't make mention of your third. 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 31  2021. ( well one month down, eleven to go )

 

.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
14 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

 

That is beautiful! What a nice heirloom!!

 

...Kat

.

Hi Kat,

 

thank you,  sadly family histories tend to become diluted as ' heirlooms ' are shared around the surviving family members.

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 31  2021. ( well that's the first month gone, eleven to go )

 

.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
43 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

I've always liked British cap badges and it becomes extra special if it belonged to a member of your family.

.

Hi Rene,  obviously the family connection is special,  but I also love the deeper bronze colour of the badge, it hasn't been buffed to a bright brass polish and the detail diminished. 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 31  2021. ( well that's the first month gone, eleven to go )

 

.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
40 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

If some of you wondered where some of that European rain went......

 

Took this picture of the river Maas at Venlo this morning. Nothing critical. The rivers level strongly depends on rainfall in the French and Belgian Ardennes.

 

DSC_7405.JPG.9eaee1003125bd18cd0e3533aeb6c030.JPG

.

Hi Rene,  

 

Driving this morning I was amazed to see the new heights that the water levels have reached locally, also the many fields I have never seen water in previously  . . . . . . .

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 31  2021. ( well that's the first month gone, eleven to go )

 

.

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy

.

Actors biographies  . . . . . .

 

Whenever I watch a films from the 50's, 60's, 70's I always like to read the biographies of the actors as many will have served in the services during the 1940's, it's also of interest to me of where they were born and even to the date of their passing. 

 

Having watched the 1963 film ' The Great Escape ' I googled the actors and found that one of the German actors was a paratroop officer during WWII and captured in North Africa and shipped to a POW camp in the USA, where he tried several unsuccessful escapes similar to the events seen in the film of the The Great Escape.  

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 31  2021. ( well that's the first month gone, eleven to go )

 

.fullsizeoutput_8abf.jpeg.ffa0ff32fe49184a3a8b629ef569709c.jpeg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy

.

I must get out more . . . . . . . . . . . :(

 

.fullsizeoutput_8b74.jpeg.132c32455347722bd4f47405c65cca7e.jpeg

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 31  2021. ( well that's the first month gone, eleven to go )

 

.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
35 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

.

Actors biographies  . . . . . .

 

Whenever I watch a films from the 50's, 60's, 70's I always like to read the biographies of the actors as many will have served in the services during the 1940's, it's also of interest to me of where they were born and even to the date of their passing. 

 

Having watched the 1963 film ' The Great Escape ' I googled the actors and found that one of the German actors was a paratroop officer during WWII and captured in North Africa and shipped to a POW camp in the USA, where he tried several unsuccessful escapes similar to the events seen in the film of the The Great Escape.  

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 31  2021. ( well that's the first month gone, eleven to go )

 

.fullsizeoutput_8abf.jpeg.ffa0ff32fe49184a3a8b629ef569709c.jpeg

 

.

Message received from LtRGFrank . . . . . . . .  ( For some reason I can't post on the Forum ).

 

 

I've read there wen't many escape attempts at US POW camps. Most POWs were happy to be alive and safe, and where would they go anyway, some camps didn't even look for escapees. Most POWs worked for local farmers and mingled with locals. The POW camp just West of us wasn't even secure. They slept in a hanger at the airport which was a training Base for gunners  on bombers. You can still go out in the hills and find 50 cal brass and live linked Ammo.

Theres the Story of two walked away from camp, when they got hungry they came back and ate then walked away again. Finally they realised out in the middle of this vast country that there was no place to go, so they returned to wait for the wars end. 

 

Thanks Robert I posted your comment for you . . . . . . . . .

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 31  2021. ( well that's the first month gone, eleven to go )

 

.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.