Your Soldiers Final Place Of Rest

Bugme

teufelhunde.ret
a shame that a MOH recipient's stone has been allowed to fall into such a weathered state

Since I first aquired this pic - I understand his MoH grave site has been "rediscovered" and an organization in Philly had a rehab performed - hoping for a new photo one some day...

• 4 weeks later...
carbinephalen

My grandfather Thomas Lyons (1st Lt during WWII with the 385th Regiment, 76th Division) and my grandma. His ashes were put into her casket whenever she was buried. Will always miss them both. :salute: RIP you two.

post-14217-1302575842.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gary Gibson was a C-130 pilot for his entire career. He graduated from Portland high School in 1966, got commissioned in the air force in 1967, and served over 30 years on active and reserve status. He returned to Portland and worked for the local health department and was a Boy Scout troop leader. Just a great guy, sure do miss him.

post-32676-1308331252.jpg

This man was a true Marine. Armed only with his .45, he climbed up on a Japanese tank in the heat of battle and knocked out the tank commander with his helmet before blowing the tank up with grenades. His citation for his Navy Cross reads:

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Private Jay C. Blakely (MCSN: 232785), United States Marine Corps (Reserve), for extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty while serving as a Member of an Engineer Demolition Squad of Company A, First Engineer Battalion, FIRST Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Peleliu, Palau Islands, on 15 September 1944. When a hostile tank, which was unable to advance during an intense counterattack against our lines, withdrew in reverse and continued to fire at our defending troops, Private Blakely immediately jumped on the enemy vehicle and, knocking the enemy turret gunner to the ground, dropped several hand grenades inside the tank, killing the rest of the crew and putting the tank out of operation, thereby saving the lives of many of his comrades who might have been annihilated by the tank fire. His outstanding courage and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

post-32676-1308340173.jpg

1st Sgt Fred Mueller 101st Airborne Div 501st P.I.R H/D.Co.

K.I.A JUNE 6TH 1944 From Iowa Recieved the Purple Hart

(A.S.N) Army Service Number : 17169758.

post-11464-1308346721.jpg

Here is also a Monument in my town of local people that served

in the United States Armed forces from the surounding local area of Irish Men.

Also Bob Gallagher USMC who Recieved the Congressional Medal Of Honour

in Da Nang Vietnam for saving his Fellow Marines lives by throwing him self on a live Grenade.

John King USN Recieved Two Congressional Medals Of Honour

and has a Ship Named after him Called USS John King DDG-3.

post-11464-1308347533.jpg

• 1 month later...

Last year I adopted the grave of Private First Class James F. Thompson of A Company, 44th Armored Infantry Battalion, 6th Armored Division. On the 8th of February 1945 he was seriously wounded in Germany when he was shot in his head whilst saving the life of a medic who was pinned down by enemy fire. Five days later, on the 13th of February, he died of his wounds at the 109th Evacuation Hospital at Amberloup, Belgium. Private First Class Thompson was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his heroic action and was posthumously awarded the Purple Heart. He is now resting on the American Military War Cemetery at Henri-Chapelle, Belgium. I have been searching for his wife, brother and three sisters for almost a year now but with no luck, but the search continues to honor one of the many brave and courageous soldiers who gave their life in the liberation of Europe.

graveofpfcjamesfthompso.jpg

• 1 month later...

On May 5 1944 1st Lt. Ralph M. Jones, Jr. a co-pilot with VMB-413 took off from Green Island with his crew aboard a PBJ Mitchell on a mission to attack the Japanese fighter base at Tobera (located south of Rabaul). The PBJ was flying at a "medium" altitude over Tobera when the port engine was struck by AA fire (see photo).post-35406-1317080336.jpg

The plane impacted the ground at high speed killing all seven on board. (along with the regular crew was a photographer/ historian with the 2nd Amphibious Corps).

The Japanese buried the crew's remains in the impact crater. Later, in 1949 the wreckage was discovered with the what was left of one unidentified crew member. The remains were interred at the Arlington National Cemetery. (see picture).

Later that May, the Jones family received two pieces of correspondence. One was a letter from Jones who informed his parents about his recent promotion to first lieutenant. The second was a telegram informing the Jones' that their son was MIA "somewhere" in the Pacific.

In the late 1990's additional crew remains were recovered and through DNA all remains were specifically identified and returned to their families. Lt. Jones was returned to his family and was buried in the family plot in the Oak Hill Cemetery located in Griffin, GA.

Semper Fi

post-35406-1317153461.jpg

Memorial to the crewmen of PBJ Mitchell 35143 in Arlington National Cemetery

post-35406-1317153178.jpg

Cadet Ralph M. Jones, Jr. during flight training 1942

post-35406-1317153379.jpg

Final resting place of 1st Lt. Ralph Jones, Jr. at the Oak Hill Cemetery in Griffin, Ga.

(photos courtesy of VMB-413)

• 1 year later...

My uncle Lou - Gunner 1st Class with the CAC in France 1918-1919. Enlisted to serve in WWII at the age of 43 as a private. Two months later, was promoted to MSGT and sent to MIS ETOUSA and rolled through Europe. Promoted to 1st LT in May 45 while with CIC and sent to the PTO. Continued to serve in Occupied Japan in the 441st CIC through the Korean War. Left the Army in '54 to serve in the Intel Community in DC.

91753286_135121066576.jpg

• 4 weeks later...