• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are all heros no matter who they are or where they rest.....for ever young

post-342-1244086230.jpg

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

As I'm over here in Germany, and not where I belong, Washington State, I can't take a picture of my mother's brother's (my uncle) grave in Enumclaw, WA., Mark Cinkovich, who was KIA on Okinawa, a member of the 77th I.D.. My aunt named me when I was born, my middle is Mark, and my son's name is Mark.

One of my cousins wrote a nice story about him. I'll take a picture of his grave next time I'm home. salute.gif

http://www.crossofdiscovery.com/2004/12/no...en-soldier.html

"Old tankers never die, they just smell that way!"

A co. 4/73rd Armor, 1st Infantry Division (Forward)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

This great-great-Uncle may not be a "hero" in the eyes of most people. The family just restored his headstone to add his military service. Prior to this, anyone who saw his marker would wonder why he died at 20 AND in December 1861 before there were any big battles in the War. Last month a memorial service to dedicate his new marker and included a cannon volley by an original 3-inch ordnance rifle.

Pvt Robert E. Cole enlisted early in the Civil War and marched off to do his duty. During the winter months at Camp Beauregard, KY, Pvt Cole and other members of the 22nd Mississippi Regiment died of pneumonia, including their commander Colonel Bonham. Years later, the surgeon of the regiment wrote in a letter that the camp had an outbreak of meningitis. His father traveled to Kentucky and returned his son back to their home in Black Hawk (in Carroll County), Mississippi for burial.

Pvt Robert E. Cole

Died Dec 1, 1861

Black Hawk Rifles

Co. G, 22nd Mississippi

His father, Pvt Richard W. Cole, was one of 20 Confederates killed in the Battle of Fort Pillow(aka the Massacre) and his burial location has yet to be discovered.

Steve

My heroes are 3 members of my family who died in WW1 & WW2 (the Swain brothers died in WW1 and a Bradbury died at the hands of the Japanese after Singapore), however they aren't American.

One of my 'American' heroes is actually Irish but served with the USMC during the Vietnam War. He is buried at the St. Pancras, Islington and Finchley Cemetery in London, UK. I came across Arthur Fisher's grave whilst visiting the grave of my wife's Nan & brother. The finding of Arthur's grave was what got me into researching the Vietnam War after 25 or-so years of researching WW1.

A photo of Sgt. Arthur Fisher's grave, that I took, can be found at: HERE (ignore my e-mail address as that is now defunct).

Another hero of that war is Robert Jacey Todd, USMC, who went MIA on the very day I was born in '67; I wear an MIA metal band everyday since I found out about him.

In memory of Pvt. Robert J. Todd USMC, MIA in Vietnam 1967 & Sgt. Arthur Fisher USMC, KIA in Vietnam 1970

A photo of Sgt. Arthur Fisher's grave, that I took...

I took the liberty of posting this photo here for you.

108448620.jpg

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I'm the current caretaker of the uniform of Major General Stonewall Jackson, commander of the 84th Infantry Division.

Arlington_Cemetary.jpg

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Two soldiers whose graves I have adopted ...... two of many heroes ......

Henri-Chapelle2706200815.jpg

Staff Sergeant Homan K Jackson.

53rd Armored Infantry Battalion - 4th Armored Division

KIA 30.12.1944

Henri-Chapelle270620084.jpg

Private First Class Leslie C Banaka

C Company - 602nd Tank Destroyer Battalion

KIA 21.09.1945

Erwin

704th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

One soldier's grave that will be in my memories forever.

I am in contact with his sister.

ThomasVella101AB.jpg

Private Thomas F Vella

101st Airborne Signal Company - 101st Airborne Division

KIA 17.09.1944

Erwin

704th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I took the liberty of posting this photo here for you.

Thanks Bugme. I actually took that photo on the day I discovered Arthur's grave but I lost the photo amongst the 3,000+ photos I am currently filing away!

In memory of Pvt. Robert J. Todd USMC, MIA in Vietnam 1967 & Sgt. Arthur Fisher USMC, KIA in Vietnam 1970

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather - Pvt John B McGill, US Army 31454422, was born in Hopkinton, Massachusetts, on March 16, 1916, and was employed as a machine operator. He was drafted March 9, 1944 at Ft. Devens, Massachusetts, and trained at Fort McClellan, Alabama, before being sent to Europe as a rifleman with the 9th Infantry Division, 47th Infantry Regiment, E company ("Old Reliables.")

He was killed in action on November 24, 1944 during the Battle of the Huertgen Forest. He died at a Battalion Aid Station of shrapnel wounds. His company was attacking the village of Huecheln while attached to the 1st Infantry Division. He is buried in Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery, Belgium. His grave has been adopted by a Belgian citizen who I keep in contact with via email. I am very grateful for this, as to my knowledge none of my family has visited the gravesite.

He was survived by my grandmother, Mabel, and 2 sons, John and James (my dad). My grandmother passed away a few years ago - she never remarried, and always hated Thanksgiving due to the memory of the loss of her husband.

johnbmcgill1.JPG

2mhj03o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the curator for the uniform grouping of Hilary Wachtal, 29th ID Medic from my home town.

Hilary_Wachtal_001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I currently safeguard in my collection several items of Major General William R. Arnold, WWII Army Chief of Chaplains. He is buried at Arlington.

wrarnold.jpg

General_William_Arnold_Chief_of_Chaplains_3.jpg

• 4 months later...

Sgt. Anthony N. Kalladeen

2nd Plt. Co.B. 1st Bn. 69th Inf. Rgt.

KIA 7 August 2005

Adamiyah, Baghdad

3X EFP hit his M1114 and a 30 Minute firefight ensued. The Platoon was in the Kill Zone of a horse shoe shaped Ambush in a Marketplace at night.

PFC. Hernandos Rios died at his side, Sgt. Barr was Wounded in the legs. Spc. Lopez had schrapnel in his neck eyes and arms.

Sgt. Wing Har was shot in the back while carrying the Wounded and Dead to the CCP, His SAPI saved him.

Kalladeen was a Former Marine who joined the Army to continue serving while attending College in Westchester, NY. He had had a hard Life growing up. His Mother eventually had to give him up as she was abusing the kids and realized it. Yet Everytime I saw him he was smiling. He had been a team leader initially and gave it up when he requested to become a SAW gunner as the Assigned gunner couldnt handle it and became the TL.

In Iraq he always talked with the Civilians and chatted them up while on patrol, making sure he carried candy for the kids and took pictures of the families which he would get developed into prints and give to them on the next patrol. He was able to win their trust and they warned of IED's in the Area many times to him and the PL. Habitually he wore the Wiley-X issued to us, even on base. He wrote home every day to his Mom, and Siblings and a Girl from school.

He didnt have to be on patrol the day he was Killed, as he was scheduled to have some time off, but volunteered when another Soldier got sick. The patrol went through a New AO that night and was hit. EFP's hit the Turret he was in as Gunner, the Drivers door where Lopez was, and the Left rear door where Rios was sitting, then the Ambush was initiated.

Kalladeen.jpg

Burial:

Indiantown Gap National Cemetery

Annville

Lebanon County

Pennsylvania, USA

Plot: Sec 30 Site 1

kalladeengrave.jpg

I miss him and the rest of the 19 KIA we had, they were gone far too soon. But I always remember him smiling.

• 3 weeks later...

I am the caretaker of this man's Purple Heart. He won the Silver Star for the invasion of Attu. He was then killed in action in the Phillipines. Buried next to his mother.

post-736-1261694549.jpg

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

"I am not broke but you can see the cracks, you can make me perfect again. All because of you". U2

Jace, Tim, and Mike you will always be my buds. God's Blessings guys.

" It's awful squatchy out here"

Rodger Young, 148th Infantry, 37th Division. Awarded the Medal of Honor for actions on New Georgia.

Is he the soldier who threw himself on a grenade to save those in his foxhole?? There was one soldier from 37th Division that did that.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

One more hero and one more soldier i'm proud of, taking care of his grave

I have been lucky enought to met his twins grandsons during Obama' coming on June 6th

I have introduce myself and talked to them. They were nice so we decided i would be their friend in France and i would take care of their granddad's grave

Best regards

post-3574-1262878393.jpg

- Lester H Scheaffer (Fleetwood - PA) - 175th Infantry Regiment, 29th Infantry Division - KIA September 12th 1944 attacking the Brest Naval range butt

I’m proudly in charge of his grave at St James cemetery. RIP

(My left avatar portrait)

- Jay E Hansford (Baxter Springs - KS ) - 146th Engineer Combat Battalion SETF - KIA June 6th 1944 landing on Dog White Omaha Beach

I’m proudly in charge of his grave at Colleville sur mer cemetery. RIP

(My right avatar portrait)

- See their story, and other ones here : http://mylifeinthewar.over-blog.com/

-- Interested in pictures (and others items) concerning the French Navy ships that went under repair in US Navy yards in 1943. In Boston (Le Terrible, le Fantasque, le Malin), in NYC (Richelieu) and in Philadelphia (Le Georges Leygues, Le Gloire, Le Montcalm)