Your Soldiers Final Place Of Rest

Bugme

fortworthgal

My grandfather - Pvt John B McGill, US Army 31454422, was born in Hopkinton, Massachusetts, on March 16, 1916, and was employed as a machine operator. He was drafted March 9, 1944 at Ft. Devens, Massachusetts, and trained at Fort McClellan, Alabama, before being sent to Europe as a rifleman with the 9th Infantry Division, 47th Infantry Regiment, E company ("Old Reliables.")

He was killed in action on November 24, 1944 during the Battle of the Huertgen Forest. He died at a Battalion Aid Station of shrapnel wounds. His company was attacking the village of Huecheln while attached to the 1st Infantry Division. He is buried in Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery, Belgium. His grave has been adopted by a Belgian citizen who I keep in contact with via email. I am very grateful for this, as to my knowledge none of my family has visited the gravesite.

He was survived by my grandmother, Mabel, and 2 sons, John and James (my dad). My grandmother passed away a few years ago - she never remarried, and always hated Thanksgiving due to the memory of the loss of her husband.

johnbmcgill1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the curator for the uniform grouping of Hilary Wachtal, 29th ID Medic from my home town.

Hilary_Wachtal_001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
USMC RAIDER COLLECTOR

post-2249-1248564130.jpg

My Grandfathers marker in the Veterans Cemetery in Nashville,TN..I have his Mdl 97 Trench gun, bayonet, helmet, uniform & pack.

I currently safeguard in my collection several items of Major General William R. Arnold, WWII Army Chief of Chaplains. He is buried at Arlington.

wrarnold.jpg

General_William_Arnold_Chief_of_Chaplains_3.jpg

• 4 months later...

Sgt. Anthony N. Kalladeen

2nd Plt. Co.B. 1st Bn. 69th Inf. Rgt.

KIA 7 August 2005

Adamiyah, Baghdad

3X EFP hit his M1114 and a 30 Minute firefight ensued. The Platoon was in the Kill Zone of a horse shoe shaped Ambush in a Marketplace at night.

PFC. Hernandos Rios died at his side, Sgt. Barr was Wounded in the legs. Spc. Lopez had schrapnel in his neck eyes and arms.

Sgt. Wing Har was shot in the back while carrying the Wounded and Dead to the CCP, His SAPI saved him.

Kalladeen was a Former Marine who joined the Army to continue serving while attending College in Westchester, NY. He had had a hard Life growing up. His Mother eventually had to give him up as she was abusing the kids and realized it. Yet Everytime I saw him he was smiling. He had been a team leader initially and gave it up when he requested to become a SAW gunner as the Assigned gunner couldnt handle it and became the TL.

In Iraq he always talked with the Civilians and chatted them up while on patrol, making sure he carried candy for the kids and took pictures of the families which he would get developed into prints and give to them on the next patrol. He was able to win their trust and they warned of IED's in the Area many times to him and the PL. Habitually he wore the Wiley-X issued to us, even on base. He wrote home every day to his Mom, and Siblings and a Girl from school.

He didnt have to be on patrol the day he was Killed, as he was scheduled to have some time off, but volunteered when another Soldier got sick. The patrol went through a New AO that night and was hit. EFP's hit the Turret he was in as Gunner, the Drivers door where Lopez was, and the Left rear door where Rios was sitting, then the Ambush was initiated.

image.png

Burial:

Indiantown Gap National Cemetery

Annville

Lebanon County

Pennsylvania, USA

Plot: Sec 30 Site 1

I miss him and the rest of the 19 KIA we had, they were gone far too soon. But I always remember him smiling.

image.png

• 3 weeks later...

I am the caretaker of this man's Purple Heart. He won the Silver Star for the invasion of Attu. He was then killed in action in the Phillipines. Buried next to his mother.

post-736-1261694549.jpg

Rodger Young, 148th Infantry, 37th Division. Awarded the Medal of Honor for actions on New Georgia.

Is he the soldier who threw himself on a grenade to save those in his foxhole?? There was one soldier from 37th Division that did that.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

One more hero and one more soldier i'm proud of, taking care of his grave

I have been lucky enought to met his twins grandsons during Obama' coming on June 6th

I have introduce myself and talked to them. They were nice so we decided i would be their friend in France and i would take care of their granddad's grave

Best regards

post-3574-1262878393.jpg

• 3 months later...

One soldier who I have adopted, after recently buying his last canteen set.

USAAF S/Sgt Leo Kirschner

ASN# 13078298

9th Air Force

Downed under Germany, January 22th, 1945

He have 6 brothers and 3 of them are enlisted during ww2 ( one served in 1st Marine div, one served in a USMC SP unit of Atlantic Fleet and a other served in 3rd Army)

Titular of Air Medal with 9 oaks leafs clusters

He is buried in Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial, near city of Hamm, Luxembourg

10106410.jpg

Thierry

• 3 weeks later...
Brian Dentino

I cannot believe that I missed this INCREDIBLE thread. This is my great uncle, SSGT Raymond Dentino, 325th GIR. His items, and researching his unit, is what turned me from the "dark side" and put me firmly in place on the bench of the good guys team. My middle name is Ray, for him, as is my fathers. Just one of many who gave all so that we might live as we do today! RIP Ray, rest well. :salute:

post-291-1272938956.jpg

post-291-1272938981.jpg

post-291-1272939145.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

post-1424-1298350885.jpg

"Excerpt from his Medal of Honor Citation:

Courageously resolved to hold his position at all cost, he fired his weapon until it ceased to function. Then, with the enemy only 5 yards away, he charged from his foxhole in the face of certain death and clubbed the enemy with his rifle in hand-to-hand combat until he was killed. At dawn 105 enemy dead were found around his position. Sgt. McGill's intrepid stand was an inspiration to his comrades and a decisive factor in the defeat of a fanatical enemy."

I haven't read them all, but have yet to read another Medal of Honor citation that includes the phrase "clubbed the enemy." He gave his life to protect his fellow soldiers, but he didn't let them off cheap, that's for sure.

post-1424-1298351521.jpg

Photo borrowed from "findagrave.com" for reference and educational purposes.

Excerpt from Henry Johnson's Distinguished Service Cross citation:

"The Germans continued to advance, and as they were about to be captured Private Johnson drew his bolo knife from his belt and attacked the Germans in a hand-to-hand encounter. Even though having sustained three grenade and shotgun wounds from the star, Private Johnson went to the rescue of his fellow soldier who was being taken prisoner by the enemy. He kept on fighting until the Germans were chased away."

Pvt. Roland L. Gates, Co G, 15th Inf, 3rd Div. KIA along with many of his comrades 15 June 53 in Korea while defending Outpost Harry, Chorwon, Korea. Roland is a cousin to me (2 generations removed). Remembered as a kind and fun-loving kid who never had the chance to grow up. If you've never heard of what happened at Outpost Harry (most haven't), check out this website: http://www.ophsa.org/ Arguably one of the most ferocious and important battles of the Korean War, it helped expedite the armistice agreement. The 3rd ID, 5th RCT, Greeks, and ROK deserve much more credit for what they accomplished here. In all 5 different companies recieved the Distinguished Unit Citation for this battle (the most in infantry history for this type of engagement), and Sgt Ola L. Mize earned the Medal of Honor. An amazing and moving documentary on Outpost Harry titled "Hold at all Cost" will air this memorial day on PBS.

post-20290-1298560933.jpg

My eight grade history teacher and good friend Sherman J. Oyler Jr.

Sherm was a paratrooper in the 502nd PIR of the 101st Airborne Division. Every year in his history class, he would dress up in his jump suit and actually jump off his desk. As a kid I was enthralled! I kept up my contact with Sherm and his wife Joyce, an English war bride and was with them until they passed. I actually held Sherm's hand when he passed. That was many years ago, but I still miss him!

I took the photo of the headstone last Memorial Day after i had scrubbed down his and several other veterans' grave markers. that's why the marker is wet. I could not believe the unbelieveably POOR condition of the markers in the veterans' section of the cemetary.

Allan

post-151-1298650365.jpg