WWI PAINTED HELMETS

I recently purchased a WW1 helmet with an insignia with a red arrowhead pointing up inside of a yellow sheild with a orange stripe below, I am unfamiliar with this insignia and was wondering if anyone know what it is. http://imgur.com/WaBki4o

Yes, a post-WW1 (and maybe WW2, too) British helmet with the insignia of an Irish unit.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recently purchased a WW1 helmet with an insignia with a red arrowhead pointing up inside of a yellow sheild with a orange stripe below, I am unfamiliar with this insignia and was wondering if anyone know what it is. http://imgur.com/WaBki4o

I watched that helmet and almost bid on it but my wallet advised not to! I'd like to see the inside, especially the bail construction and spot weld on the edge to be sure, but I think this is a British insignia -- could be Irish as sgtdorango pointed out. The give away in my mind is the single bar below the shield. Many British brigades used bars like this one to designate their different battalions. While there is no comprehensive compendium of all British division and brigade helmet or "battle" insignia, I looked through all that have been published thus far and have not been able to identify this one. But the list is far from complete. My guess (and this is only a guess) is that it is a British Army brigade insignia for one of the battalions in the brigade (this would include Scottish, Irish, and Welsh formations). I don't think it is a Commonwealth insignia which are better documented.

I hope this helps.

Dennis

Dennis (Bertmedals)

Collecting WWI AEF relics, artifacts, and memorabilia

Thank you for all the info! I've done some research with the info y'all provided me and it looks to an Irish army eastern command 2nd division insignia during WW2 (I am still not sure what the bar means but I will keep looking) thanks again for the help

-Jonathan

Update: I have received the helmet shell and the only markings I have found on it are large letters PN that look to be painted over on the outside of the shell, I could not find any other numbers or maker marks, if anyone has anymore info on it or why it doesn't have any other marks it would be much appreciated

Update: I have received the helmet shell and the only markings I have found on it are large letters PN that look to be painted over on the outside of the shell, I could not find any other numbers or maker marks, if anyone has anymore info on it or why it doesn't have any other marks it would be much appreciated

post-158612-0-39889100-1432912049.jpgHi All, thought you might appreciate a picture of this helmet, it is WWI 301st tank helmet in painted camo, I also have the dog tags (father and son-WWI and WWII) and some other items (not pictured) that came out of the estate with it. I was trying to sort out which items were the fathers and which the sons,(that's how I ended up on this site, just figure I'd go right to the people that know these things) but have decided that I will put them all on ebay together tonight plus their American legion items and any papers that are related so that everything stays together in one lot. Thanks to everyone who helped me identify what was what.

post-158612-0-60799500-1432912389.jpg

post-158612-0-33425300-1432912777.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow, there have been some incredible helmets posted here in the last few month's. time for me to add a few of my more recent finds. First up 84th Division:
DSCN7934f.jpg
DSCN7936f.jpg
DSCN7937f.jpg

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Cavalry... gotta love the horse head in the center.
Camo_M1917s_007.jpg

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Just received this painted lid this morning from the granddaughter of the vet. Named to a member of the 339th Infantry Regiment (Polar Bear's).

post-29885-0-07450700-1438444858.jpg

Eric

ASMIC #5492

Are you a militaria collector in PA, NJ or DE? If so, please feel free to join my "Delaware Valley Militaria Collectors" page on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/MilitariaCollectorsOfDelawareValley#!/groups/DELVALMILITARIA/

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd throw my humble example in the mix here, amidst so many amazing ones..my one and only WW1 painted helmet, 78th Division. The rest of the paint seems to have been removed with a wire brush/tool at some point but the division insignia is still there with the texture intact. Kinda love this old beat up thing

post-104906-0-52655300-1440806394.jpg

Looking to buy US dog tags, any era. Contact me and let me know what you have!