WWI PAINTED HELMETS

BEAST

Interestingly, on this one I found a completely hidden red cross marking on the rear. I rarely clean my helmets, but this one was filthy and I wanted to see if I could uncover the one red cross on the front. While doing that I started to notice something on the back - so after a little more cleaning I found the second insignia. Nice surprise for me. :D

post-69474-1332037826.jpg

post-69474-1332037848.jpg

• 3 months later...

My newest Camo'd 84th ID, 333rd Ambulance Company. Loosely translated: God With Us...Not!

84th.jpg

DSCN7936f.jpg

• 3 months later...

I posted this on another forum but thought you guys would appreciate seeing it .

This helmet cost me a whopping 7 dollars at a flea market in San Jose.

I discovered it 's from the 50th aero squadron ...I think the 7 dollars was a good investment

post-13222-0-31310100-1350355382_thumb.jpg

post-13222-0-12071000-1350355669.jpg

Just got my first painted helmet yesterday. Possibly some kind of rail or motor transport. I just love the painted camo, bright, thick lines, and odd shapes. :love: I hope there will be more in my future!

I'd love to hear any thoughts on what the insignia actually is.

PA180176.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Wonderful collections on this site. I have enjoyed this thread very much. I do not have much in the way of painted helmets but I feel the need to share this one. It is the most elaborate of my collection. I apologize for the size of the picture. I am not really sure how to post photos in this format.

• 2 months later...

Here is my contribution. It is a British made helmet from a US unit. Thoughts on that? Any idea on the meaning of the number? There is another number 70 that is about three inches away.

P1050109_zpsafe98b94.jpg

P1050116_zpse5e20cd6.jpg

P1050106_zps624ec3dd.jpg

• 4 months later...
Marchville1918

I haven't been to any military shows for several years, but It seems to me like there are fewer and fewer of these WW1 painted helmets on ebay.

Yeah, the pool seems to be drying up quickly. 100 years is a long time and by now most estates have been cleared out. This is a sign of the future for WWII M-1's.

I haven't been to any military shows for several years, but It seems to me like there are fewer and fewer of these WW1 painted helmets on ebay.

shcpirate -- the helmet is from the 101st Military Police Company of the 26th Division. That's a very nice (and quite rare) Yankee Division helmet there!

-- Jon

90thDivHistory

90 div ( Texas Oklahoma) attched to 3rd Army.

Love that TO helmet!!!! Great Piece!!!!!

Respectfully,

Tyler Alberts

• 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing all your nice helmets for new collectors like myself to study and enjoy. Now I just need to find my own.

• 2 months later...

Here's my 34th division helmet. Found a note in the liner that reads "EMMET J. COOK, SGT. (1893-1961) Headquarters division. 355th infantry, AEF World war 1. Worn in Germany 1916-1918."post-88540-0-80540300-1382628501.jpg

Turns out the the note belonged in the other helmet I bought that day. An 89th div. painted helmet, which I will post later.

Here's my 34th division helmet. Found a note in the liner that reads "EMMET J. COOK, SGT. (1893-1961) Headquarters division. 355th infantry, AEF World war 1. Worn in Germany 1916-1918."attachicon.gifhelm1.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...