WWII Jump Wings and Ovals

The combined para-glider were legitimate and worn -- BUT only by the 11th Airborne Division. Genuine wings should be STERLING and made in Japan.

There are British-marked versions floating in Collectordom, but they make no sense. Outside the 11th, their wear after the war would not have been via ISSUE, but private-purchase, and dozens of sharp-eyed platoon sgts and 1st sgts would have disapproved.

If a soldier was qualified to wear both para and glider wings, THAT was authorized.

• 9 months later...
triplecanopy

National Airborne Day, 16 August 2013 Have a Happy AIRBORNE - ALL THE WAY DAY!

National Airborne Day is a day designated by the United States Congress to honor the nation's airborne forces of the Armed Forces. It was first proclaimed by President George W. Bush in August, 2001 and has been re-designated each year since by Senate Resolution.

August 16, 1940 marked the first official Army parachute jump, validating the innovative concept of inserting United States ground combat forces behind a battle line by parachute.

President's Proclamation for National Airborne Day, Aug. 16. (President G.W. Bush)

WASHINGTON, Aug. 9, 2001

– Sixty-one years ago, 48 brave volunteer members of the U.S. Army Parachute Test Platoon pioneered a new method of warfare. Their successful jump led to the creation of a mighty force of more than 100,000 paratroopers. Members of this force were assigned to the legendary 11th, 13th, 17th, 82d and 101st Airborne Divisions and numerous other units that fought in every theater during World War II.

The soldiers of the Parachute Test Platoon also forged a unique warrior spirit, a relentless passion for victory, and a reputation that still strikes fear in potential adversaries. Beginning with the first combat jump by the men of the 2d Battalion, 503d Parachute Infantry Regiment, over North Africa in November 1942, airborne and special operations soldiers have made a total of 93 combat jumps. Since World War II, paratroopers have continually distinguished themselves in battle, earning 69 Congressional Medals of Honor and hundreds of other awards for valor.

Today, as we celebrate the anniversary of the first official Army parachute jump, I join all Americans in recognizing these heroes. We salute our Nation's sky troopers, both past and present, for their great service and personal sacrifice in the defense of freedom and liberty around the world.

Best wishes to all for a memorable observance.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone have wings and oval obtained from a 509 veteran? That would be cool to see, since the 509 didn't have one widely used set oval, like other PIRs did (505, 506, etc.)

509th ovals have been discussed a few times here on the forum and photos have been uploaded to the individual threads. The most common seen oval is a medium blue twill center with a light blue border, though other examples have popped up to include black centers with white borders (officially a 508th PIR oval), blue center with a yellow border (officially a 504th PIR oval) and black centers with gold bullion borders which were most likely Italian made.

Hope this helps,

Allan

• 4 months later...
triplecanopy

This thread has not seen much activity lately, so I thought I'd give it some life. Has anyone seen or have in their collection a Master Parachutist badge made by Bell Trading Post? I have seen the basic in both pinback and clutch back. I have seen the senior parachutist in clutchback and both the basic and senior are marked sterling. I would think that a company that made parachutist insignia in the 1950's and 60's would have also made the master parachutist badge.

If anyone has one, please post a photo. If you happen to have a spare, I would love to buy or trade for it.

Thanks. All the best.

• 1 month later...
americankraut

Not sure if this counts these wings appear painted instead of embroidered

I think they would be WWII from what appears to be a group some how associated with the 503rd

I posted them in a different thread trying to figure out more about them or if he was 503rd post war.

Any other painted wings on cloth?

post-84213-0-23847300-1409815900.jpg

post-84213-0-61868400-1409815913.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Your 511th oval is from the 1950's. WWII versions of this oval are embroidered on felt (unless you've got a Japanese Occupation made one in which case it will either be fully embroidered by hand or embroidered on silk).

Allan

Your 511th oval is from the 1950's. WWII versions of this oval are embroidered on felt (unless you've got a Japanese Occupation made one in which case it will either be fully embroidered by hand or embroidered on silk).

Allan

Thank you Allan. I was unsure if it was ww2 period or not I figured most post war ovals had the wider boarders so this one threw me for a bit of a loop.

• 1 month later...

I thought I might post an updated photo of my WWII era jump wings. I have removed the marine examples and the glider badges as there were just too many of them to cram into the jeweler's case. Nearly eight years ago (has the forum been around that long?!?!) I posted my collection in response number 74 in this thread. Time sure flies!

Allan

post-151-0-57868600-1414422884.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello marcel504, is that the correct way to wear the order of the orange cord, for the Holland jump? just asking. I have not seen it on a uniform...Thanks David

It must be worn on the left side. The end should be in the breast pocket.

Regards

Herman