WWII Jump Wings and Ovals

Hi,

Would love to see what WWII Jump Wings and Ovals that you all have in your collections!

I am also looking to buy the following standard/variations WWII Jump Ovals:

501, 502, 504, 505, 506, 507, 508, 509, 513, 517, 325

Thanks in advance! And looking forward to seeing some of the Jump Wings and Ovals in your collections!

Matt

Greg Sebring

Here are my dad's jump wings. As you can see the feathers on the wings have been filed off. Dad said this was a fad that everyone was doing to make them shine more. I haven't seen any other examples of this being done though I've heard it was. Once dad earned his jump wings, he no longer wore the glider wings.

Greg

post-118-1168356698.jpg

Greg,

Thanks for the pic. I have seen many examples of this type of wing. I have owned/seen Pin Back as well as clutch back examples. Is your dad's wing maker marked or just marked "Sterling"?

Matt

Greg Sebring
Greg,

Thanks for the pic. I have seen many examples of this type of wing. I have owned/seen Pin Back as well as clutch back examples. Is your dad's wing maker marked or just marked "Sterling"?

Matt

Matt,

It's marked, J.R. Gaunt - London.

Greg

pathfinder505
Yes, the 504 oval is a postwar one. I don't have a picture of my WW2 oval. They should be fully embroidered and they have a 'thin' border.

i used to think that also. I know two vets from the 504th. One went in early and has the thin border (I have the original). I went to visit his friend who was in the same company and went to jump school in England then straight into the 504th at the time of the Battle of the Bulge. His oval is the wide one just like in this pic. He still has it on his uniform. Thus, I think now they are probably late war into the post war period. I also have one from a fellow member on here that came from the vet and its the wide border.

This is kinda reminds me of that thread where all the reenactors want khaki and sometimes the vets had a little green.

I'm not an Airborne collector like some of the fanatics here, but these are the ovals I've found over the years in WWII patch collections and such.

Gary

From the stepson of the veteran, an attributed 505th oval with screw back wings from a 517th paratrooper.

post-84-1168369341.jpg

post-84-1168369359.jpg

pathfinder505

The original 504th oval that I have is on twill. The vet was one of the original members of the 504th. I will see if I can post a pic of it when I get a chance.

post-319-1168529469.jpg

This is my first post to this great site so please excuse my photography and editing. Here's a few ovals I have in my collection. Nothing earth shattering, but I would like to get peoples' oppion on the one one with the armor triangle as far as unit and time period. From Scott Hughes' 'A complete Guide To Flashes and Ovals', I was able to come up with 11th Recon Co., 76th ATB or 710th ATB. I have found to guide to be great if you collect post WWII ovals, but kind of frustrating for WWII era ones.

How can you see if an Oval is a war production or post-war?

And what are the average prices of the following ovals: 501, 502 and 506?

Regards Daan

Daan,

In my opine...as with anything price is relative to the authenticity, condition, provenance and demand for that item. I have seen the market for legitimate WWII US Airborne items go through the proverbial roof lately (let me say that I don't mean to discredit any other area of collecting this just happens to be my area of interest for quite some time). So, to answer the question as to what they are "worth" would be difficult.

Looking at the pictures of ovals in this thread there are some nice items. I have been away this week and will post a few that I hope people will be interested in.

Currahee!

Jake Powers

A few wings....

post-82-1168729853.jpg

Camopara...now that is SWEET! Nice & impressive.!!! thumbsup.gif I hope that folks notice that out of the 80+ or so wings that are show only a handful have devices on them which is completely normal. I am a firm believer that devices on wings are not as common place as many think (I am referring to WWII wings with provenance).

Thanks for sharing!

Jake

Jake,

Thanks!

You are correct...real wings that have had the devices added to are quite rare!

Most of the manufacturers are represented, and a few are 'named' to their original owners.

I was able to snap a few pics of a couple of ovals before I head back to Ohio for the week. First is a 501 from HQ/501 Communications man. He was the "pigeoneer" for Normandy.

post-261-1168795827.jpg

post-261-1168795844.jpg