WWII Jump Wings and Ovals

Torch03

Dijkhuizen

Hello,

Here's an foreign made us jump wing from my collection.

I posted this on another forum and someone thought it's possible an Australian made one?

jumpwingonestar001.jpg

jumpwingonestar003.jpg

I found no markings on the back of the wings.

Here is some Ovals i have added from my Airborne Collection some are IDentified with provenance others are not :thumbsup: .

provenance is a town in Rhode Island. Provenance is when you have documented history for an artefact!

;)

• 2 weeks later...
so.mostyank

I'm not an Airborne collector like some of the fanatics here, but these are the ovals I've found over the years in WWII patch collections and such.

Gary

From the stepson of the veteran, an attributed 505th oval with screw back wings from a 517th paratrooper.

I agree with Gary !

John

(Quote Glen)

Hey Glen,

Just to let you know its not one of your Repro Ovals As that i can Guranteed you that 1000%

As i have Full Documendation to go with this 505th P.I.R Grouping to back my self up on it !

Regards: Tomás.

• 2 months later...

Very nice jumpwings and ovals guys!

I am a WW2 collector from Holland, and especially interested in the Market Garden airborne drops (because i live near Nijmegen/ Groesbeek).

I am still looking for some ovals to complete my collection/ small museum. Jumpwing or ID is not a must. Please let me know if you have any doubles you want to sell. Still looking for;

- 501st

- 502nd

- 506th

- 504th

- 505th

With kind regards.

• 1 month later...

IN 50 YEARS OF COLLECTING AND MOSTLY BUYING F4ROM VETS I HAVE ONLY ENCOUNTERED A SET OF PARA WINGS LIKE THAT ONE TIME..GREAT THAT THEY ARE YOUR FATHER'S.

SO.MOSTYANK

Here are a pair of wings that belonged to Paul Antelitano who served in the 17th Airborne 2 battalion 194th Glider Infantry. At some point he was jump qualified but chose to go into the Gliders. The material behind the wings is from the recognition scarf that the 17th during Operation Varsity.

post-51189-1321508486.jpg

Here we have Antelitano's first glider wing with a blue infantry oval. He used a miniature set of gliders wings. Also included is a pair of his glider wings.

post-51189-1321508916.jpg

post-51189-1321508945.jpg

post-51189-1321508968.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just uptained this set of wings.

The canopy looks more flat and the shroud lines look more sharper then most other wings.

Backside is marked "sterling" and the usual pinback. Is their someone who knows when these where made.

januari2012007.jpg

januari2012006.jpg

Ps. Sorry for the bad pictures.

Just uptained this set of wings.

The canopy looks more flat and the shroud lines look more sharper then most other wings.

Backside is marked "sterling" and the usual pinback. Is their someone who knows when these where made.

januari2012007.jpg

januari2012006.jpg

Ps. Sorry for the bad pictures.

You've shot the photo of the front of the wing at an odd angle, but it looks like an Officer's Equipment Company pattern wing. Their canopy is rather unique and recognizable.

Allan

Allan,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The wings look exactly like those made by Officer's Equipment Company.

Christian

You've shot the photo of the front of the wing at an odd angle, but it looks like an Officer's Equipment Company pattern wing. Their canopy is rather unique and recognizable.

Allan

• 1 month later...

Here's a English Made J.R. Gaunt Jump Wing named to the same 507th PIR Trooper on a 507th PIR oval on wool:

DSC05975.jpg

DSC05976.jpg

DSC05977.jpg

DSC05978.jpg

Super cool Jump Wing with 2 Combat Jump Stars:

DSC05983.jpg

DSC05984.jpg

501st PIR oval on wool:

DSC05980.jpg

DSC05981.jpg

Torch03,

Nice spot on pieces. I particularly like the 507th ovals (real orange, not yellow). Have you ever noticed that almost all 507th ovals have cut outs for the wing fittings? Most other units don't. I wonder if Raff had something to do with that.

Jim

Torch03,

Nice spot on pieces. I particularly like the 507th ovals (real orange, not yellow). Have you ever noticed that almost all 507th ovals have cut outs for the wing fittings? Most other units don't. I wonder if Raff had something to do with that.

Jim

That was Colonel George Millett's doing. He felt that it gave the wing a more military appearance.

Allan