WWII Jump Wings and Ovals

And one you don't see everyday...this came from a jump qualified 'Trooper from C/326 AEB (airborne engineers) This is obviously a non-commercial example and only the 3rd legit one I have seen.

post-261-1168796198.jpg

post-261-1168796214.jpg

Here are a few I thought you might like to see. The first is on the uniform of 1st LT Vance Hall of the 504 PIR, he made jumps at Sicily, Salerno, and Market Garden. He also said that he made a jump unto a Concentration camp at the end of the war. The second oval and wing are to Pfc Stephen Miget of the 307 Abn Med Co, 82nd Airborne.

post-179-1168807931.jpg

post-179-1168807949.jpg

post-179-1168807972.jpg

post-179-1168807991.jpg

This is a British made cloth jump wing on blue background. I recieved it from Dr. Gerald Shaw, who served as a pathfinder with the 504 PIR. At one time he told me that it was stitched to his extra jump jacket.

post-179-1168808333.jpg

This next wing I thought was interesting, I was hoping someone might tell me if its US or foreign made. Its a 674th Abn Arty of the 11 AB.

post-179-1168808866.jpg

post-179-1168808884.jpg

This next wing and oval are on the uniform of Major Richard Barrett that served in the 376th Para Field Arty attached to the 82 AB. Note the jump star actually attached to the oval not the wing.

post-179-1168809396.jpg

I thought I'd include a shot of Gerald Shaws dress uniform, he is the trooper that I recieved the British cloth wing from that I pictured earlier.

post-179-1168809591.jpg

Allan, fantastic display of wings and ovals, are there any that you don't have? Jon

John,

Yes, there are many that I do not have. I started collecting parachute and glider badges over 25 years ago- back before airborne was the rage. Most of my US collecting buddies were AAF collectors and they were collecting flight badges by maker, so I decided I would do the same.

While you don't have the same variety as you find in pilot wings for example, there are still a lot of variations that can be had if the collector just looks.

I have seen a jump wing with a snowflake back which I do not have (do you Leif?) and there are a few other makers that I need like an Amico glider badge, Meyer glider badge (which ought to be an easy one to find) and I would LOVE to have one of the Chinese made parachute (does a glider even exist?) badges with the "chops" on the back.

I also don't have a "674" artillery jump wing like the one shown earlier in the thread. I think I still have a long way to go before I am convinced I am close to having them all.

Allan

Allan,

I have heard of them with a snowflake, but I have yet to see one! I know Allan has many of the 'rare' makers and unique one-of-a-kind made wings. I think Allan should do a book on wings!

Wasnt the snowflake pattern insignias manufactured by Amcraft?I see some of their items maker marked and some plain with just the snowflake pattern.

collectsmedals

Here are my Father's medals and badges.

He was with the 509th PIR and made four combat jumps, two in North Africa and two in Italy.

post-294-1169504267.jpg

@ collectsmedals: ''Here are my Father's medals and badges.''

Nice items...but I cant figure out why he had the 112th inf regt DUI's? Was he in the 28th div?

Regards, Sebas

collectsmedals

Actually he was in the 112th before the war, I have a Company H 112th Infantry Division (rifles) Thanksgiving Day menu from 1941 1st Army maneuvers in Lilesville, North Carolina that lists him as one of the Company's corporals.

He was rated as a qualified parachutist December 19, 1942. You will not find a Parachute School certificate dated much earlier then that.

His discharge reads, "Francis A Dean, Private Company A 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion was separated from the military service of the United States of America by Honorable Discharge on 14 May 1945 at Moore General Hospital Swannonoa North Carolina."

He was wounded for the second time in Italy in late 1943 and was in hospital for the rest of the war.

collectsmedals

Just goes to show strange items can end up together, if you found those 112th DIs in a box of 509 stuff you could assume they had just been tossed in later.

• 4 years later...

Here is some Ovals i have added from my Airborne Collection some are IDentified with provenance others are not :thumbsup: .

post-11464-1309292067.jpg