Tiger Stripes

Andrei

B

You are right in that it has the same fabric and color as your lovely tiger .

Only as you can see a custom cut with the raised back buttons .

This is as yours is Japanese made .

o

American Graffiti

Happy New Year one and all!

Been waiting to join this topic for awhile with a new slant. 'Anyone for Thai?'

Here is a nice custom tailored chino type trouser in a late war Thai? pattern. Notice nice vertical stripes. Cut the same as Army chinos or UTs, no labels.

Anybody else have any interesting civilian type stuff ie. non combat, perhaps worn by some REMF in Saigon (Saigers, Pnompers, Dangers maybe) or correspondant, embassy staff etc.

Anyway enjoy. I also have matching zip blouson type jacket, yet to post pics.

PS I now have a picture AHHH 'The man has enlarged my mind'

post-4617-1231283226.jpg

post-4617-1231283281.jpg

American Graffiti
Alas, Thai Tigers ,

They are like the step child of the Tiger world .

Nice to look at but hard to bring into the house .

owen

Ha, the illegitimate child of a denison smock and a French Lizard pattern jacket!

Happy New Year Owen

You forgot to mention the crazy night that involved a Fear and loathing white rabbit scene with a salt shaker .

Then you have the Dennison love child that is curiously Phad Thai spicy ........

Happy New Year AG ..

owen

usmc-collector

M65 field jacket, heavy cotton fabric, unknown type of tiger pattern. Unknown manufacture date and country of origin.

post-31-1231285475.jpg

Cool looking M65 you have there .

Is the material corse or kind of rough??

I once had a pair of matching trousers that I suspected of not being war time .

Maybee from the same manufacturer as these .

Can you show the hardware ?

owen

I just got the word thrrogh the grapevine the the above Tiger M65 is being made today in Hong kong .

This company also makes helmet bags and other things .

owen

American Graffiti

Oh what a bummer.

Alright here is my Advisor shirt without the camo 'doggy' pockets. Looks much better, plus I now have enough camo parachute fabric for a nice scarf or a pair of Monagnard underpants!!

SVMC good enough?

post-4617-1231369177.jpg

post-4617-1231369235.jpg

usmc-collector
I just got the word thrrogh the grapevine the the above Tiger M65 is being made today in Hong kong .

This company also makes helmet bags and other things .

owen

Owen,

thanks for update, I purchased this jacket about 6 years ago from Japan, I do not have it anymore as I sold it, I also tought it could be reproduction, anyway nice pattern compared to many other current commercial reproductions. Thanks JAROSLAV

Oh what a bummer.

Alright here is my Advisor shirt without the camo 'doggy' pockets. Looks much better, plus I now have enough camo parachute fabric for a nice scarf or a pair of Monagnard underpants!!

SVMC good enough?

I may be wrong but isn't this a VMC Seawave pattern , no cuffs , never seen a golden tiger shirt in this pattern , Owen, where are ya think.gif

USMC ,

Who cares if it is not REAL wartime issue ........

It has a great look and is perfect for wearing down the pub for a couple of pints .

And that really is ALL that matters .

AG

You love that tiger shirt so much ...

It looks like the arm was at the end of a 1000lb bail of rag and the sun got to it ...

oh well .

You find the 5th VNMC pattern was a serious choice for army guys looking to stand out from the crowd by patching up their REMF shirts .

owen

American Graffiti
USMC ,

Who cares if it is not REAL wartime issue ........

It has a great look and is perfect for wearing down the pub for a couple of pints .

And that really is ALL that matters .

AG

You love that tiger shirt so much ...

It looks like the arm was at the end of a 1000lb bail of rag and the sun got to it ...

oh well .

You find the 5th VNMC pattern was a serious choice for army guys looking to stand out from the crowd by patching up their REMF shirts .

owen

Owen baby!

Yes me love that shirt long time!

And yes it has some crazy fading!! But also has nicee Phu Loi Patrol patch. I have others too. This is a good summer wearer, wide cut sleeves easy to roll up a la page 34 of Larry Burrows book.

Are you ever off this goddam forum, kinda nice to know you are always around though!

Silent Si

AG

I am afraid you have your Tiger patterns mixed up .

Your shirt only came out in 1967 and was used into the end of the war .

The tigers as used by the Advisor and Marines is a different breed altogether .

As a simple rule of thumb the fatter the stripes the younger the pattern .

Your shirt has skinny little stripes .

Look at the book and you will notice all the advisors and VNMC tiger sets are the earily cut and come from a different generation than your example .

But having said that the Marine cut changed very little during the war .

You can also find your cammo pattern in a heavy weight fabric in the Army cut but they seldom turn up .

If you have time go back 30 pages or so and you will find the Burrows pattern being shown by other members including myself andwhat I say will fall into place for you .

PS

I keep me computer locked when I am at work and do a quick slide through the new pages as they appear ,but NO computer at home so my weekends are free to let my eyes return to the round shape that I was born with .

owen

pps

Butcher just posted 2 LB shots .

The mud shot and the last one .

Note stripes a big and fat .

American Graffiti

I keep me computer locked when I am at work and do a quick slide through the new pages as they appear ,but NO computer at home so my weekends are free to let my eyes return to the round shape that I was born with .

owen

Fair enough!

I trust you on that, you certainly know your stripes. How did you get into it and get to move to LA? Seems you know the rag sorting world very well. As you know, best place to get stuff, right?

Anyway it seems my avatar is now installed, great.

• 2 weeks later...
vintageproductions

Here is a odd variant we recently found at a flea market. It is a standard Asian cut, but someone has taken black pajama material and lenthened the sleeves. On one of the sleeves you can see where patches had been removed. Neat customized shirt.

ts1.JPG

ts2.JPG

A mystery hat I purchased cheap at an gun show a few years ago. The tailoring of the crown is something I have only observed on some Thai manufactured hats which leads me to believe this is of Thai origin.

100_5152sml.jpg

100_5153sml.jpg

Comments/observations welcome.

F

Your hat is a killer .

It looks like a Thai one for sure ,but I have a gut feeling it is Taiwanese made .

The pattern appears to be the lightweight fabric .

With out handling it , it is hard to say for sure .

Bottom line it has a fantastic look to it and you should be a happy man .

I have owned many Thai hats but the pattern is always slightly different .

B

That is a smashing tiger shirt .

Different from anyother out there .

o

Thanks Bob

The last ont I had ,had Taiwanese writing inside .

But is was in sun bleached condition , this one looks like mint condition compaired with it .

vintageproductions

Well, this will be one of the fews times I will disagree with Kammo-Man. This hat is Taiwanese made. They were still available to buy in the late 80's or early 90's. I bought some there, in the shop they were made in. The shop made three or four different patterns, and the all had the straight up and down stitching, on the crown. They were also lined in either purple, light blue or this green material. No matter what they are still a cool piece of tiger stripe hedgear.