Tiger Stripes

Andrei

i hope this is the right topic...

i have, i think it's a silver pattern, tiger stripe shirt. but i think it's a repro. that's what i was told in an other forum.

neu179z25.jpg

neu177x05.jpg

Hi derx,

yes, it is a repro. You cannot have together the A-L size tag and the ARVN QM stamp.

Moreover, the Q letter stands for Quan, trousers. A shirt shirt have an A letter, for Ao (shirt).

i don't know much about tiger stripe. it was my first and last tiger stripe item...

Why last tigerstripe item, there are so many beautiful tigerstripe items out there, get to know them and you will love them , when i started collecting i was nowhere but many friendly collectors gave me the right advice and trust me , read this thread from the first page and learn the subject , i have a copy of the R.D.Johnson's " Tiger Patterns " and this thread will give you not less info on the subject so don't give up !!!

002-13.jpg

I have waded through most of the now 68 pages of tiger stripes posts in this thread and did not see the pattern used on this hat, which I know was acquired during the Vietnam War. So were there camo patterns used solely for things like souvenir hats sold to US troops?

tigerhat.jpg

tigerhat2.jpg

tigerhatinside.jpg

Why last tigerstripe item, there are so many beautiful tigerstripe items out there, get to know them and you will love them , when i started collecting i was nowhere but many friendly collectors gave me the right advice and trust me , read this thread from the first page and learn the subject , i have a copy of the R.D.Johnson's " Tiger Patterns " and this thread will give you not less info on the subject so don't give up !!!

will do. thanks

as i said before i don't know much about it. it's a difficult pattern to collect...

You said it all , that is the great thing about tigerstripes, so many and so different patterns ! OD ( olive drab ) or ERDL are also great but nothing compared to tigerstripes, OD & ERDL are all alike, more or less and ts can give you a headache but that is what makes them so interesting besides the pure beauty of the pattern , they come second to none !!!

I have waded through most of the now 68 pages of tiger stripes posts in this thread and did not see the pattern used on this hat, which I know was acquired during the Vietnam War. So were there camo patterns used solely for things like souvenir hats sold to US troops?

post-214-1229101356.jpg

post-214-1229101378.jpg

post-214-1229101387.jpg

The Seargent in the movie " The Siege of Firebase Gloria " has a boonie in this pattern , similar to the one you posted which must be very rare , haven't seen a pic of it !!!

MVC-pu114S.jpg

You said it all , that is the great thing about tigerstripes, so many and so different patterns ! OD ( olive drab ) or ERDL are also great but nothing compared to tigerstripes, OD & ERDL are all alike, more or less and ts can give you a headache but that is what makes them so interesting besides the pure beauty of the pattern , they come second to none !!!

yes, it's a nice pattern. i have some erdl unifroms and od stuff too, but there i know that it's the real deal. that's a good feeling, haha.

Fourm Support .

I hope you had a good time going through the pages .

What a read .

I have been collecting Tigers most of my collecting life and have seen things on these pages that have blown me away !!!

This is from photos and garments , hats , berets , tour hats and everything else in-between .

First off all thank you guys for working on the fourm the way that you do ,I am sure there is alot of work behind the fence that we never see .

Second I learn something new everyday here and for someone who thinks he has seen everything is a joy .

On the subject of your hat , I think tiger material was printed by numerious companys in limited runs ,lets say for want of arguement 1000 yards at a time .

This sat in a tailor shop for custom orders and the like .

This material would be of lower quality than Govt spec , as well as color differences , fabric weights and the like .

So that being said ,the locials want the Yankee dollar and what better thing than a tourist cammo hat to say I have been there .

Copied from the older French style These hats in my opinion should be considered earily to mid war items as latter on the boonie hat became the Go to Hell fashion statement .

You find so many patterns repesented on your boonie we could talk all day on them .

I once seen an example with a 24 inch brim !!

Made in Thailand for some wacky Airforce type .

I hope this helps .

All the best

owen .

Here are a couple of pics, Asian cut silver tigersripe, Advisor golden tigerstripe US cut , Airborne cut tigerstripe , Silver tadpole tigerstripe -US cut, Early ARVN tigerstipe !!!

039-1.jpg

040.jpg

041-1.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

045-1.jpg

046-1.jpg

047-4.jpg

048.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
vintageproductions

Here is a odd pair of trousers I forgot we had. It is very similar to the boonie hats Jerome and I posted. I had a set of these a few years ago that had a tailor label in the shirt and trousers from a tailor in Bien Hoa.

most1.jpg

Bob,

Thanks for showing your pants, very odd tiger pattern. I think yours is not the same pattern than Jerome s hat. The hook is clearly different, probably another type of asian tailor made pattern