Jump to content

Helmet Graveyards


BEAT_NAVY
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Rooster

Yes. And here in the states too.

A couple years back someone was selling a couple pallets full of old Navy helmets from the USS SanFransisco

that were found in an old dilapidated warehouse. Many WW2 helmets were painted and repaired and put back into service.

Some were melted down. Prob the very damaged ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

manayunkman

There is a helmet graveyard in Palmdale,  CA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

phantomfixer

Saw a mountain of M-1s in the early 90’s at Dover AFB at DRMO… rescued a few but the rest went to a scrap yard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

patches

These are helmets in the op  are from casualties or other battlefield pick ups and will be inspected and if need be made serviceable and even repainted and reissued. There's video posted some where of the activities I think in Normandy of recovered helmets being painted right, cant  find it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BEAT_NAVY said:

image.png.1f3e773feb5e656af83ad9726a2427a2.pngWere helmet graveyards like this common?

 

 

I recall these were taken from US POWS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think my garage is a helmet graveyard....

 

part of a small group of salvage helmets and liners. There was 230 steel shells and 560 (?) liners 

 

 

Resized952021032095183217.jpg

Helm2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

easterneagle87

A Facebook market place ad from a bit ago out of Madera, CA. Seems appropriate to add. 
 

C378D420-FB00-4F1C-8722-AB2808D9FDBB.jpeg

016D2F87-EB65-4E59-9E37-0E849C1478D1.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, doyler said:

I think my garage is a helmet graveyard....

 

part of a small group of salvage helmets and liners. There was 230 steel shells and 560 (?) liners 

 

 

Resized952021032095183217.jpg

Helm2.jpg

😲 Get a few more shells and you could wear a different one every day for a whole year!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mikie said:

😲 Get a few more shells and you could wear a different one every day for a whole year!

 

 

true but been told Im hard headed enough already.. 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, easterneagle87 said:

A Facebook market place ad from a bit ago out of Madera, CA. Seems appropriate to add. 
 

C378D420-FB00-4F1C-8722-AB2808D9FDBB.jpeg

016D2F87-EB65-4E59-9E37-0E849C1478D1.jpeg

 

 

Salvage yard in SLC Utah had a few as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

patches

A similar photo, Vietnam. Helmets among other gear from Marine Corps causalities of Operation Harvest Moon December 1965.

harve.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Burning Hazard

Here is what happened to helmets to got "recycled" at the end of WWII, they got repainted and put back into the system.

M1 helmet repainting 1945.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Burning Hazard

A well documented photo from the 86th ID showing helmets getting stacked after VE day in 1945 before being shipped to the US for recycling/destruction

M1 Helmet pile 2 1945.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BEAT_NAVY

Thanks to all of you! I never knew that this was common

15 hours ago, The Rooster said:

Yes. And here in the states too.

A couple years back someone was selling a couple pallets full of old Navy helmets from the USS SanFransisco

that were found in an old dilapidated warehouse. Many WW2 helmets were painted and repaired and put back into service.

Some were melted down. Prob the very damaged ones.

 

14 hours ago, manayunkman said:

There is a helmet graveyard in Palmdale,  CA.

 

12 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

Saw a mountain of M-1s in the early 90’s at Dover AFB at DRMO… rescued a few but the rest went to a scrap yard

 

10 hours ago, patches said:

These are helmets in the op  are from casualties or other battlefield pick ups and will be inspected and if need be made serviceable and even repainted and reissued. There's video posted some where of the activities I think in Normandy of recovered helmets being painted right, cant  find it 

 

10 hours ago, doyler said:

I think my garage is a helmet graveyard....

 

part of a small group of salvage helmets and liners. There was 230 steel shells and 560 (?) liners 

 

 

Resized952021032095183217.jpg

Helm2.jpg

 

9 hours ago, easterneagle87 said:

A Facebook market place ad from a bit ago out of Madera, CA. Seems appropriate to add. 
 

C378D420-FB00-4F1C-8722-AB2808D9FDBB.jpeg

016D2F87-EB65-4E59-9E37-0E849C1478D1.jpeg

 

6 minutes ago, Burning Hazard said:

Some more vintage pics of helmet piles

 

 

M1 Helmet Pile 1945.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Rooster

The serviceable one were used over and over. In my guard unit in the 1980's,

I was issued a brand new low dome M1.

But I saw a lot of guys who were issued WW2 pots and I would see those guys

cutting the canvas straps from the bails and putting the newer clip on chinstraps onto the helmets.

If I only knew back then...... lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

326thAEB
12 hours ago, doyler said:

helmets from KIA and WIA of the 173rd Airborne. 

Helmets173rd.jpg

Do you know any background information of this photo? I believe I’ve seen it before but never knew when/ where it was taken. I’m assuming Dak To? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/4/2022 at 9:21 AM, 326thAEB said:

Do you know any background information of this photo? I believe I’ve seen it before but never knew when/ where it was taken. I’m assuming Dak To? 

 

Dak To

helmets belonging to the casualties of the 173d Airborne Brigade are piled up on Hill 875 following the battle, 22 Nov 67

 

Hill 875


The 2nd and 4th Battalion's of the 503rd Infantry suffered 33 Missing in Action, 158 Killed in Action and 411 evacuated wounded, while fighting for Hill 875. During the 21 days of fighting around Dak To that November some 3000 NVA loses were estimated. During that same 21 days of fighting around the Dak TO area the 173rd Airborne Brigade suffered 272 Killed in Action, over 900 wounded and some 60 Missing in Action. Ending some of the bloodiest fighting of the Vietnam War.

General overhead view of Hill 875, November 24th, following its capture by elements of the 173rd Airborne Brigade.

 

 

 

hill875a.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...