teufelhunde.ret

WWI USMC Painted Helmets with EGAs

post-3422-1217783217.jpg

"RETREAT HELL.....WE JUST GOT HERE"

LOOKING TO PURCHASE IDENTIFIED WW1 AVIATION GROUPINGS, INCLUDING MEDALS, UNIFORMS, STUDIO PHOTOS.

PURCHASE ANY AND ALL ID'ED WW1 NAVY CORPSMAN OR PHYSICIAN GROUPINGS; MEDALS &/or UNIFORMS.

WW1 USMC ID'ED OFFICER'S GROUPS, esp. MARINE AVIATORS -

ANY LARGE FORMAT 5X7 OR LARGER IMAGES OF MARINE OFFICERS & AERO PILOTS

Collecting/Preserving/Researching WW1 Marine Corps Items and WW1 Aviation Items

post-3422-1217783267.jpg

LOOKING TO PURCHASE IDENTIFIED WW1 AVIATION GROUPINGS, INCLUDING MEDALS, UNIFORMS, STUDIO PHOTOS.

PURCHASE ANY AND ALL ID'ED WW1 NAVY CORPSMAN OR PHYSICIAN GROUPINGS; MEDALS &/or UNIFORMS.

post-3422-1217783328.jpg

6th Machine Gun Battalion

post-3422-1217783390.jpg

post-3422-1217783425.jpg

Differences between Black and Purple Paint.

MOST purple paint on helmets that I know are real really have daekened over time.

NOT to say or imply that brighter paint is not original. Just my observation.

Will post some 6th Regiments later - Hope you like'em

Dennis

Great helmet pics, Dennis. Most educational............thanks for posting!

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

Yes, very nice pieces!

Let's keep those great pictures coming, guys! :)

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Wow! What great helmets you have! I love those 1/5 helmets. I've heard the old collectorism is that the red was suppose to have been rubbed down to make the Marine less of a target, but after seeing them up close, I believe that the red paint was just applied too thin.

Thanks for posting those helmets and your other great items. Looking forward to seeing more!

Semper Fi!

***WANTED: MINT UNISSUED USMC DEPOT WEB GEAR AND A SIZE 38 P42 CAMO JACKET***

This helmet was treated to a coat of gold paint for the parades he participated in later in life. I have all this guys stuff. 4 overseas stripes on his uniform! - One of the originals!!!

Dennis, these painted helmets w/ mounted EGA's are just simply drop dead beautiful. If and when you have the oportunity, would you be kind enought to provided us with a stright-on picture of the EGA mounted to this helmet... would like to see the wing configuration of the EGA. I sense from your comment, this helmet & group came directly from vet's family? And thanks again for all your sharing with us! s/f Darrell

post_3422_1217782772.jpg

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

Darrel, that does look to be the pattern attributed to the early 20s doesn't it?

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Actively seeking WW1 4th and 5th Brigade USMC helmets and also a named WW2 Raider green blouse.
I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail, if I could I surely would....

Dennis, these painted helmets w/ mounted EGA's are just simply drop dead beautiful. If and when you have the oportunity, would you be kind enought to provided us with a stright-on picture of the EGA mounted to this helmet... would like to see the wing configuration of the EGA. I sense from your comment, this helmet & group came directly from vet's family? And thanks again for all your sharing with us! s/f Darrell

Darrell, I'll get you a photo on this EGA. It is an early 20's EGA , I think. The helmet is correct with the punched hole and my gut feeling is that he applied a later EGA after he painted the helmet gold for veterans parades. I got this group from the daughter-in-law that was sold to me with the help of the grandson. At some point, I'll post the complete group. This guy was a proud Marine as some of the notes that he sent home to his mother would indicate. He expressed disappointment that the 2nd Battalion wore a yellow background. He stated in a note to his mother that no Marine would ever wear yellow on his uniform. He wore an orange 5th Battalion patch on his Army issued tunic. I'm sure that orders dictated that they be switched to yellow in spite of the objections of individual Marines. I have had the priviledge to see 3 other 2nd Battalion groups that are 1000% real and hugely documented with "orange" patches. We'll never have all the answers, but sure is fun trying to find'em!!

Dennis

We'll never have all the answers, but sure is fun trying to find'em!!

Dennis

Could not agree more... !

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

Here is a few pics...1/5th Marines

post-577-1219079988.jpg

"We want to get the hell over there. The quicker we clean up this Goddamned mess, the quicker we can take a little jaunt against the purple pissing Japs and clean out their nest, too. Before the Goddamned Marines get all of the credit."

- General George S. Patton, Jr

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

another

post-577-1219080019.jpg

"We want to get the hell over there. The quicker we clean up this Goddamned mess, the quicker we can take a little jaunt against the purple pissing Japs and clean out their nest, too. Before the Goddamned Marines get all of the credit."

another

post-577-1219080043.jpg

Here is a few pics...1/5th Marines

Very Nice! I like all the helmets on this thread. I so want to post a helmet on here but, alas, every WWI lid I have(and I've got a lot of them), are all Army. I just can't seem to lay my hands on a nice Marine helmet. So, congrats to all of you who have one of these gems!

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."

Wow,I saw this 2 days ago and people were just really starting to take out the wallets real quick for this. I know Marine Corp items usually bring in more money and everything,but there has to be a reason its up to that much...was the unit involved with something incredible or is it because of the paint and the detail? think.gif

Regards,

Michael Sweeney--Researcher and Collector of WW2 77TH Division

If you have any named items to a 77th Division Soldier please contact me!!!

In memoroy of my Grandfather

Eugene Henry Sweeney

1st Lieutenant of the 306th

Infantry Regiment Company L -

Veteran of Guam and Leyte

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Wow,I saw this 2 days ago and people were just really starting to take out the wallets real quick for this. I know Marine Corp items usually bring in more money and everything,but there has to be a reason its up to that much...was the unit involved with something incredible or is it because of the paint and the detail? think.gif

The Composite Regiment was a parade formation of selected men from the Army of Occupation, so anything marked to them is rare. Add to that it's USMC, and add to that the level of detail and execution, and it's a pretty exceptional helmet.