teufelhunde.ret

WWI USMC Painted Helmets with EGAs

And this is the 5th Reg.

they never saw action.

post-4767-1245465154.jpg

Jon B

Newaygo MI

Always looking for information on the USMC from 1916 - 1920, exp the 11th Company in Haiti and in WW1, 4th 5th, HQ Company.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

donation2009.gif2015
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Thanks, Jon. That sure helped. Now it all makes more sense. I have very many photos of the 5th and 6th in combat or areas of resistance, and I had never seen one of these ensignia on one of their helmets before. Maybe I just didn't notice.

Thanks again for the help. I do appreciate it.

Jim

...most likely done at Camp Pontanezen at Brest, France. The 13th Regiment, U.S. Marines had a very large contingent stationed at this and other camps throughout the war. ...Company "E" of the 3rd Army Composite Regiment was an ALL Marine Company. This was ( I think ) the only Marine Co. of the 3rd Army Composite Regiment. ...If you notice the painted helmets across the front row; they are all painted with a very large star with Indian Head. There is no Batallion flashes as seen on "standard" painted USMC helmets.

This is the only Marine Composite Reg. helmet I've seen.

...post-3422-1228427728.jpg

Belleauwood;

Could you tell me more about the 3rd Army Composite Regiment? I'd like to learn more. Also on ebay there is another one of these helmets up for sale.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320384510931 it ends in a couple hours.

Jon B

Newaygo MI

Always looking for information on the USMC from 1916 - 1920, exp the 11th Company in Haiti and in WW1, 4th 5th, HQ Company.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

donation2009.gif2015
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

I wanted to share my recent addition to my collection: 1st Batt. 5th Marines. This is my biggest purchase and prize of my collection. Ega seems to be a later addition, however in my opinion the punched hole is period. Hope you enjoy ;)

post-4253-1245868550.jpg

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Here is mine :

It belonged to Arthur L. Winney a USN Corpsman of 2nd Bat/ 5th Marines.

Winney was wounded and cited for Blanc Mont Battle Octobre 3 -10, 1918.

This helmet is a part of the entire grouping I own.

317dxqe.jpg

359e69j.jpg

I wanted to share my recent addition to my collection: 1st Batt. 5th Marines. This is my biggest purchase and prize of my collection. Ega seems to be a later addition, however in my opinion the punched hole is period. Hope you enjoy ;)

helmet_001.JPG

A beauty!!!

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hi everyone,

just got this helmet yesterday from one of my "picker" guy, well I did washed a little with water and soap since it was covered with some kind of greasy dust

the color look much more bright now.

I guess this kind of helmet has never been worn, but used more as decoration or commemoration helmet...

inside in perfect condition

post-6240-1247623180.jpg

post-6240-1247623228.jpg

www.williamsmilitarycollectibles.com

Interesting & unusual paint-job! I agree that's it's likely a post-WWI vet's piece, Hard to determine though when it might have been painted. Still an interesting variation. Any sign of a name on it? Hope it didn't cost as much as a true vintage USMC WWI lid!

Semper Fi......Bobgee

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

Interesting & unusual paint-job! I agree that's it's likely a post-WWI vet's piece, Hard to determine though when it might have been painted. Still an interesting variation. Any sign of a name on it? Hope it didn't cost as much as a true vintage USMC WWI lid!

Semper Fi......Bobgee

well , I'm agree about the paint job.. very cool looking, no name anywhere, was very very dirty when I got it, covered with some kind of greasy dust...

I guess the painting have been made post WWI, around the 20's...

Thanks

william

www.williamsmilitarycollectibles.com

Hello there, I'm the guy that won the auction on Ebay for the 6th Machine gun BN uniform from the same seller that sold the 6th Machine gun BN helmet pictured . . . nice helmet, I wanted it very much but could not afford it and the uniform. :-(

Brandon Morley

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing.

Down in the arena are the doers. They make mistakes because they try many things. The man who makes no mistakes lacks boldness and the spirit of adventure. He is the one who never tries anything. He is the break in the wheel of progress. And yet it cannot be truly said he makes no mistakes, because his biggest mistake is the very fact that he tries nothing, does nothing, except criticize those who do things."

David M. Shoup (MOH recipient)

General United States Marine Corps

Here are a few pictures of a U.S.M.C. 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 2nd Division Helmet I picked up recently. Unfortunately it is unnamed and there is no longer a liner or chinstrap present but it still makes for a nice display piece!

Upon close inspection the other day I noticed that at one time it looks as if there was another 5th regiment square painted on what is now the back of the helmet. The decal pictured is actually painted on what was originally the back of the helmet as indicated by the rear seam on the rim. Could it be that the original wearer of this helmet was a member of one of the other battalions in the 5th regiment when he first painted his helmet and later was transferred to the 3rd battalion? Or another scenario is that this helmet had two owners during it's time in the AEF. Any thoughts??

post-7151-1250016541.jpg

Brandon Morley

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing.

Down in the arena are the doers. They make mistakes because they try many things. The man who makes no mistakes lacks boldness and the spirit of adventure. He is the one who never tries anything. He is the break in the wheel of progress. And yet it cannot be truly said he makes no mistakes, because his biggest mistake is the very fact that he tries nothing, does nothing, except criticize those who do things."

Here is a close up view of the washer/nut attaching the EGA to the front of the helmet. It's all correct blackened bronze or brass.

post-7151-1250016694.jpg

Brandon Morley

Here is a close up view of the early bronze EGA.

post-7151-1250016798.jpg

Brandon Morley

Very nice helmets. Got to get one.

Jim

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

&

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Both of these are being sold by one of our forum members... ;) s/f Darrell

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

Thank you, Darrell. I need a 6th regiment helmet to go with my 6th Regiment rifle (ID'ed to a 3rd Bn Corporal through his records). I need to branch off like I need a good swift kick, but I like these helmets.

Jim

Mark , thx for posting. I've not seen any of these Art Metal Work (AKA - Ronson???) emblems on a helmet before. The link you have listed is certainly an interesting dialog and would love to see how it is punched thru & back of emblem - so forth. Here is a link to an EGA thread in the ref. sec. which Mike discusses this specific emblem in great detail.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...st&p=116813 Beyond this the emblem does exhibit a great deal of consistent wear about all surfaces/features, (esp the globe) this gives me some indication the emblem was added well "after the fact". Lets see what others say... s/f Darrell

The EGA is the much more difficult to find service version of the "Ronson" or "Art Metal" piece. I believe that the post backed EGAs are of the WW1 period, with the pinbacks probably made out of existing or leftover stock for the WW2 era as sweetheart pieces. This specific one looks good to me, as does the helmet. Wear on the EGA may not always be consistent with the helmet, especially if the piece was previous salty from use on a favorite campaign hat that saw use (not many know this but the first elements of the 5th and 6th Regiment did go overseas with their campaign hats, but did not wear them in France or subsequently in Germany). So that is my guess. When viewing these helmets, it is the artwork and helmet condition that counts, it is gravy if the EGA is original and has the "right" wear, but it is so hard to tell for sure.

Mike

Mike Manifor
Buying and selling Military Antiques. Specializing in hat and collar insignia (EGAs) of the USMC.
Top dollar paid.
info@eagleglobeandanchor.com
My website:www.eagleglobeandanchor.com

Visit my EGA reference section: http://www.eagleglobeandanchor.com/EGA_Reference_Section.html

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif