WWI USMC Painted Helmets with EGAs

teufelhunde.ret

Congrats Dennis

Real beauty and the Indian is typical of some painted ones I have and own.Must have been done by the same hand.

Belleauwood
Congrats Dennis

Real beauty and the Indian is typical of some painted ones I have and own.Must have been done by the same hand.

Many Thanks.......same here. A known pattern for sure. Guy was a very good painter.

DJ

Garandomatic

Breathtaking. Dontcha hate it when the name is there but not enough to read? I have more than a couple WWI bits that are that way, shame is, guys from my state are very easily researched, too.

Belleauwood
All of the helmets listed by that seller went surprisingly cheap. Putting a bunch of rare stuff on eBay all at once might scare bidders away.

Absolutely - The Siberian as well as the NR were questionable, at least for me. I have owned several and have never seen any quite like the two he had for sale. That added a little to the pucker factor for me. The supply, 6th, is rare as hell.

DJ

post-3422-1335542545.jpg

It is ID'ed with a name and number on the leather liner attachment. I have yet to hold my mouth right, close one eye, hold by breath, etc. to get it read however.

DJ

Maybe you could try one of the dental mirror or the small mechnics mirror and catch thr reflection

Well Done Congrats for sure it is one Fantastic Looking Helmet !

Outstanding looking Art Work to it with the U.S & French Flag's :thumbsup:

That is one of the most stunning WWI helmets I've ever seen! UNBELIEVABLY detailed painting - It is a true work of art as well as historical artifact.

Congratulations on winning the auction. It's wonderful that it went to someone who'll really appreciate it.

History Man

I can only echo what others has said. Congrats for obtaining such a quality helmet!! Great shape and the artwork is amazing! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Philip

teufelhunde.ret

... what the rest have said! And very pleased to see it resting in the "Belleawood Museum", a great home, for a great helmet! You will have to post a photo for us, of how you choose display it. Thx for posting these great photo and good luck in the ID of this Marine.

Leatherneck72

That is a great helmet. It went for a song because there was competition at the same time. The supply one you mention was worth 1,500 easy and went for 800. I have owned a number of these with the flags painted in this manner. I have one put away that I will try to dig out and shoot some pics of that has flags like this. Didn't you own a named 5th Brigade grouping with a helmet with crossed flags at one time?

Belleauwood
That is a great helmet. It went for a song because there was competition at the same time. The supply one you mention was worth 1,500 easy and went for 800. I have owned a number of these with the flags painted in this manner. I have one put away that I will try to dig out and shoot some pics of that has flags like this. Didn't you own a named 5th Brigade grouping with a helmet with crossed flags at one time?

I did indeed.

Dj

Belleauwood

Darrell, I will be displayed here -I am working out where it all will go. I took off the mint EGA and replaced it with one of some character that this helmet deserves. I also cleaned it and "restored" the paint and liner. I know this is frowned upon by the purist "as found" folks, but this will save (slow) any future degradation. If I din't tell you, one would not see the improvements.

Hope you approve

DJ

post-3422-1335893798.jpg

post-3422-1335893798.jpg

post-3422-1335893819.jpg

post-3422-1335893834.jpg

post-3422-1335893901.jpg

post-3422-1335893908.jpg

Today's "conservation treatment" is tomorrow's regrettable mistake. It wasn't that long ago that German helmet collectors were being advised to preserve their helmets by smearing the liners with Vaseline and coating the outside with Lemon Pledge. Professional conservators at museums have permanently damaged irreplaceable artifacts with processes later found to be worse than natural aging.

Who knows what things get done to helmets now in the name of "preserving" them or "slowing degradation" that will be cringed at by future collectors. These helmets have often survived for nearly 100 years being stored indifferently in attics, basements, sheds and garages. Any further decay they might undergo sitting on a collector's shelf in a climate-controlled house will be negligible. It just doesn't make any sense to mess with them.

Dennis, you know I like this helmet and I really like the group shot in the case! WOW!!!

• 2 weeks later...
2ndInf.Div.

Now that is a true work of art! I don't know much about brodies, but you have one heck of a collection of unique WWI pots, keep it up :twothumbup:

• 2 months later...
teufelhunde.ret

An exquisite helmet, presently for sale at: http://baystatemilitaria.com/WWI/WWIheadgear.htm

Description: WWI US Marine Corps Camo Helmet with full liner and strap. Possibly done by a member of the 13TH Regiment, 5TH Brigade as there is another similar one in Equipping the Corps", by Tukoff on page 301. Apparently done by the same unit artist. Extremely rare.

DSCN0256g.jpg

DSCN0255g.jpg

DSCN0254g.jpg

DSCN0258g.jpg