Army to Revisit "Pinks and Greens?"

tredhed2

25 minutes ago, MattS said:

Yes, needs a snap sewn on the backside but that belt is way too long. I'm guessing he's a newly promoted O-7 in that photo as he's still wearing his JAG branch insignia.

I don't know the date that picture was taken but I believe AR 670-1 was changed in January 2021 to allow General Officers to wear branch insignia at their option.

9 minutes ago, bertmedals said:

I don't know the date that picture was taken but I believe AR 670-1 was changed in January 2021 to allow General Officers to wear branch insignia at their option.

Wow, that's a recent change, thanks for that!

GOs in certain positions (Quartermaster General immediately comes to mind) wear BOS as an executive agent for a branch.  Believe there's some other ones out there, too. 

ItemCo16527
52 minutes ago, GIKyle said:

GOs in certain positions (Quartermaster General immediately comes to mind) wear BOS as an executive agent for a branch.  Believe there's some other ones out there, too. 

Yeah, the Chief of Chaplains, Chief of Engineers, and The Surgeon General of the Army all wear BOS insignia. There may be a few others, but those are the ones I know off the top of my head.

16 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Check out how sloppy the belt looks on this general's uniform. Surely that's not how they are supposed to look.

B6E17EDF-F171-4110-9380-584D14932B69.jpeg

4 hours ago, Colt Tanker said:

That belt end needs a hidden snap to hold the end in place. That was how they secured these wool belts neatly in the day.

4 hours ago, MattS said:

Yes, needs a snap sewn on the backside but that belt is way too long. I'm guessing he's a newly promoted O-7 in that photo as he's still wearing his JAG branch insignia.

The general is wearing the new SSI of the National Guard Bureau that was just approved in January 2020. 

National Guard Bureau.SSI.2.jpg

Might be the Assistant to The Judge Advocate General for Army National Guard Affairs, which is a BG-billet and the top JAG officer in the ARNG.  

ItemCo16527
6 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

The general is wearing the new SSI of the National Guard Bureau that was just approved in January 2020. 

National Guard Bureau.SSI.2.jpg

I have to say, I really like this design. Whoever created it deserves a raise.

On 3/25/2021 at 7:26 AM, MattS said:
On 3/25/2021 at 7:16 AM, bertmedals said:

Wow, that's a recent change, thanks for that!

The option for GOs to wear branch insignia has been in the regulations since at least the early 1900s.

branch_generals.png.56ecb7f6d7ede4c9c9e1cf020fa323d5.png

22 minutes ago, Justin B. said:

The option for GOs to wear branch insignia has been in the regulations since at least the early 1900s.

branch_generals.png.56ecb7f6d7ede4c9c9e1cf020fa323d5.png

My experience in seeing branch insignia worn by general officers is that it is and has been most commonly worn by the chiefs of the various technical branches and other generals in similar positions. I think I read somewhere that technically, the definition of a general officer is one without a specific branch assignment but rather who generally serves in elevated leadership or advisory capacities. I have seen plenty of photos of general officers wearing Corps of Engineers insignia, the various photos of Leslie Groves while serving as the director of the Manhattan Project probably being the most familiar. ANother common sight, at least in years past, is that you would frequently see the various state Adjutants General were AG branch insignia. I'm assuming that is what the officer in the lower left corner of Justin's post above is.

One of the more interesting one's I have seen is the attached photo of Major General Courtney B. Hodges when he was Chief Of Infantry and commander of the Infantry School at Fort Benning early in World War II. I believe the position was actually abolished when he was transferred to command X Corps in 1942, although it may have been revived in the 80's.

Of course many Army Air Corps generals wore branch insignia before and during World War II.  But I don't recall ever seeing a general officer wearing Artillery or Armor branch insignia. Anyone? 

Hodges.Courtney.Infantry.jpg

Arnold.Henry.jpg

55 minutes ago, seanmc1114 said:

But I don't recall ever seeing a general officer wearing Artillery or Armor branch insignia. Anyone? 

The chief of artillery had some particular distinctions in full dress uniforms pre-WW1, with red trim (and 1903-1908 was the only US general ever to be authorized shoulder straps with other than a dark blue background). The chiefs of artillery and chiefs of coast artillery frequently wore their branch insignia in service dress.

cac_chief.png.2d6f8fd4d83a53a3885b2dafec453826.png

Major General Ronald P. Clark, Chief of Staff of the Indo-Pacific Command. He is wearing the SSI of the Pacific Command. I'm not sure if The Institute Of Heraldry changed the designation of the SSI when the Pacific Command was redesignated as the Indo-Pacific Command in May 2018. He is also wearing the breast badge of the Indo-Pacific Command.

This photo provides a very good shot of the antiqued buttons.

General Daniel R. Hokanson, Chief of the National Guard Bureau. Note that unlike the major general in the previous post, he is wearing individual stars on each eppaulette as his rank insignia rather than the one piece type. 

Pinks & Greens.Chief.NGB.1.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Chief.NGB.2.JPG

Pinks & Greens.Chief.NGB.3.JPG

Pinks & Greens.Chief.NGB.4.jpg

On 10/12/2017 at 7:46 AM, Justin B. said:

The officer in the photos is wearing rank and branch on the shirt collar, but I thought one of the reasons they went with shoulder slides in the '70s was because people didn't like messing up the shirt collar by sticking pins through it.

Replying to my own post... So it looks like the final decision was to use shoulder marks, now in "heritage green," for officer rank on the tan shirt. According to DA PAM 670-1, the narrow stripe at the end of the new officer slides has been changed to silver.

From Stars & Stripes online: "U.S. Forces Korea commander Gen. Robert Abrams wears the new Army Green Service Uniform during a ceremony marking the 70th anniversary of the Korean War at Camp Humphreys, South Korea, Thursday, June 25, 2020. The uniform is modeled in the service's iconic World War II-era "pinks and greens."

It looks like his rank insignia is embroidered on the eppaulettes.

Pinks & Greens.U.S. Forces Korea.2021.jpg

TheCrustyBosun

I’m not a fan of the button finish or the color chosen for hash marks and enlisted stripes. The cover (hat) has a band that is too wide making it appear too tall. They look like cheap knock-offs. The fit needs attention and it almost looks like the waist belt is too low on some personnel. Sequels are rarely as good as the first and I think it applies here. 

"On Nov. 16 (2020), Class 64-20, Alpha Battery, 1st Battalion, 79th Field Artillery Regiment, graduated Basic Training at Fort Sill in Oklahoma sporting the new Army Green Service Uniform, making them the first class of soldiers to do so, Fort Sill Public Affairs confirmed to Task & Purpose."

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-basic-training-pink-and-green-uniform/

Notice the PFC in the front in the first picture is wearing the ribbon for the Army Achievement Medal. How would someone earn that in basic training? Is that an award for being the honor graduate? If so, is it feasible that one could be the honor graduate having earned only a Marksman Badge?

Pinks & Greens.Basic Trainees.1.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Basic Trainees.2.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Basic Trainees.3.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Basic Trainees.4.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Basic Trainees.5.jpg

FORT KNOX, Ky. -- Starting July 8, 2020, recruiting students at Fort Knox, Kentucky, were issued the new Army Green Service Uniform, a uniform with wide appeal because of its similar styling to the old World War II uniform. Uniforms will go on sale to other Soldiers at the installation Military Clothing Store beginning July 10. (U.S. Army photos by Eric Pilgrim | Fort Knox News)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fortknoxky/albums/72157715032184952/with/50094248616/

Pinks & Greens.Basic Trainees.Fort Knox.1.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Basic Trainees.Fort Knox.2.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Basic Trainees.Fort Knox.3.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Basic Trainees.Fort Knox.4.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Basic Trainees.Fort Knox.5.jpg

2 minutes ago, Justin B. said:

The caps look like some kind of Halloween costume shop's knock-off version of a USAAF crusher.

agreed. I don't like them either