Army to Revisit "Pinks and Greens?"

tredhed2

These photos show Army astronaut Colonel Andrew Morgan prior to his launch on July 20, 2019 for his mission on the International Space Station. Note the photo showing him without his jacket wearing the officer slide-on eppaulette insignia. 

Pinks & Greens.Astronaut.1.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Astronaut.2.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Astronaut.3.jpg

kaliman0352

They really do look like Store-Brand pinks & greens. They tried to shove every piece into one uniform not realizing it was a whole system of uniforms in the 40s. 

The buttons look cheap, the covers look horrible, the material is off. Just bad implementation. Plus enlisted wearing pinks at all... ugh. 

Fort Lee, VA has these in MCSS, to include the new raincoat/trench coat and insignia. Picked up a set of 1SG stripes for my collection.

• 1 month later...
seanmc1114

I'm on the fence about the Class A uniform with the jacket, but the Class B uniform looks horrendous, particularly the female uniform worn with a tie and untucked shirt.

Pinks & Greens.Regulations.1.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Regulations.2.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Regulations.3.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Regulations.4.jpg

Pinks & Greens.Regulations.5.png

Pinks & Greens.Regulations.6.jpg

268th C.A.

I agree, it looks sloppy and untidy. Not very military. I wonder who came up with this sorry looking uniform dress code. (not looking for the answer) Looks more like a hotel house keeper. 

I'm of the belief now after following this topic from the very first post to this last post that there never will be a sharper or satisfactorily looking uniform apart from the old Army Greens and Khakis.

Martinjmpr
On 5/4/2021 at 5:59 AM, 268th C.A. said:

I agree, it looks sloppy and untidy. Not very military. I wonder who came up with this sorry looking uniform dress code. (not looking for the answer) Looks more like a hotel house keeper. 

Unfortunately it seems to me that this history of Army dress uniforms since about the 1970's has been one of good ideas with terrible execution.  The "50 mission crush" cap looks awful. 

Same for long neckties for women - collar tabs serve the same purpose and look better on a female body.  

For all the complaints, I still think the AGSU, as imperfect as it is, is a major improvement over the blue ASU.  And the only thing worse than the blue ASU was the class B version with the white shirt that made soldiers look like mall cops.  

The ASU was an ill-conceived uniform that replaced the perfectly decent Army Green uniform.  I'm so glad I retired in 2005 when we still had the greens.  

We can at least hold out hope that once the awful-ness of the "50 mission crush" cap becomes apparent, the Army can quickly revise it to a more conventional peaked cap or, better yet, just ditch the whole "bus driver hat" and issue a soft, pleated "overseas cap" like was used in WWII.  

EDITED TO ADD:  I'll even risk the wrath of everyone here and say that even going back to the black beret would be an improvement over the "50 mission crush" cap.  Yes, I know there was considerable gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes when the black beret was adopted Army-wide in 2001, but it still looks sharper than that ridiculous aviator hat.  

Martinjmpr
On 4/1/2021 at 5:46 PM, Longbranch said:

Horrible caps. Lol.

I blame Douglas MacArthur.  

Douglas_MacArthur.jpg

I totally agree with the sentiments about the crush look of the hat.   I also hate the darkened buttons!!   I think, especially for formal occasions, a more conventional, non crush” hat would be a good thing.   Overseas hats are fine for non-formal events.   I also don’t agree with the waist belt for enlisted personnel.    I don’t like the class B’s as they just look dumb.  I still liked the khaki as shirt and pants with the green visor hat of the 60’s/70’s era.    These are only my thoughts as I don’t war the uniform but will also agree, so much better than the ASU’s.   

seanmc1114

Sergeant Majo Of The Army Michael Grinston wearing the new uniform along with the new sty le of enlisted chevrons. 

Pinks & Greens.SMA.Michael Grinston.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
phantomfixer

Can those in the Army wear a period crush cap or service cap if they chose, as long as it is in serviceable condition? or a high end repreo? the issue caps look awkward

• 1 month later...

So is the Ike jacket now an official variation of the new uniform or is this simply a general choosing to wear his own version of the uniform? I'm assuming this is the Adjutant General of New Mexico. 

Pinks & Greens.Ike Jacket.New Mexico National Guard.jpg

On 4/1/2021 at 1:32 PM, seanmc1114 said:

Notice the PFC in the front in the first picture is wearing the ribbon for the Army Achievement Medal. How would someone earn that in basic training? Is that an award for being the honor graduate? If so, is it feasible that one could be the honor graduate having earned only a Marksman Badge?

On 4/1/2021 at 1:32 PM, seanmc1114 said:

Could be several reasons for the AAM-- Honor Grad, PT related or any other of a myriad of reasons that the chain of command chose to recognize the soldier.

An AAM is approved at the BN level, so it all depends on what that particular BN CDR chose to reward.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

The new uniform worn recently by members of the 82nd AIrborne Division. Notice the paratrooper in the background wearing his pants bloused over brown jump boots.

I also like the "less is more" approach of the brigadier general to wearing only the ribbons of his decorations. Contrast that with the huge ribbon rack of the full general.

Pinks & Greens.82nd Airborne Division.Jump Boots.1.jpg

Pinks & Greens.82nd Airborne Division.Jump Boots.2.jpg

Pinks & Greens.82nd Airborne Division.Overseas Cap.1.jpg

Pinks & Greens.82nd Airborne Division.Overseas Cap.2.jpg

Pinks & Greens.82nd Airborne Division.Overseas Cap.3.jpg

Note the Command Sergeant Major id wearing both a sewn on RANGER tab above his SSI on his left sleeve as well as the miniature badge on his pocket flap. Surely this can't be right?

Pinks & Greens.Ranger Tab.Sew On & Pin On.1.png