UPDATE - WWI Silver Star & OLC Group to Chaplain 6th Marines

bobgee

This is a recently acquired group for my collection. The recipient received two Silver Citation Stars while serving with the 6th Marine Regiment, 4th Brigade, 2nd Division AEF during the St. Mihiel Offensive and later during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. In the US Marine Corps medical and clergy services are provided by the Navy. Officers and men are usually U.S. Navy members. There was no research with this group. Several references have been found citing his awards (he also received a Croix de Guerre) showing him as "Chaplain U.S. Navy" as would be expected. However, it appears that the recipient, Chaplain Chester J. Under_hill was in fact a U.S. Army Chaplain.

His dog tag shows him as "Chaplain 1st Lt USA". On his named & numbered Silver Star medal he has affixed two large Silver Stars of a type I've not seen. When he entered service he was a Baptist minister in Brooklyn, NY. His New York State Conspicuous Service Cross, awarded in 1922 when he resided in Lynn, MA is numbered and engraved with his name. He also has a #'d NYS WWI Service Medal which is not traceable", a WWI Victory Medal with bars for St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne and Defensive Sector, a WWI Occupation Medal. I'm hoping to obtain as much info on him as possible, especially a war-time photo so I solicit any and all help and assistance from this learned Forum. Thanks for looking! Bobgee

UNDERHILL MEDAL GROUP 1 001.jpg

UNDERHILL SSM REV 001.jpg

UNDERHILL NYCSC REV 001.jpg

UNDERHILL SMALLS 001.jpg

Bob,

Very nice addition to your collection. Seems that the 4th Brigade had quite a few company grade Army officers serving with them throughout the war. Congratulations and thats for posting.

John

Here is reference to his 2 citations and great group by the way

By direction of the President, under the provisions of the act of Congress approved July 9, 1918 (Bul. No. 43, W.D., 1918), Chaplain Chester J. Under__hill, United States Navy, is cited by the Commanding General, American Expeditionary Forces, for gallantry in action and a silver star may be placed upon the ribbon of the Victory Medals awarded him. Chaplain Under__hill distinguished himself by gallantry in action while attached to the Sixth Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces, in action during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive, France, 1 - 11 November 1918, in caring for the wounded under heavy shell fire.

General Orders: GHQ, American Expeditionary Forces, Citation Order No. 5 (June 3, 1919)

Action Date: November 1 - 11, 1918

Service: Navy

Regiment: 6th Regiment (Marines)

Division: 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

By direction of the President, under the provisions of the act of Congress approved July 9, 1918 (Bul. No. 43, W.D., 1918), Chaplain Chester J. Under__hill, United States Navy, is cited by the Commanding General, SECOND DIVISION A.E.F., for gallantry in action and a silver star may be placed upon the ribbon of the Victory Medals awarded him. Chaplain Under__hill distinguished himself by gallantry in action while attached to the Sixth Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces, in action against the enemy in the Champagne Sector, France, during World War I.

General Orders: 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces, Citation Order No. 64 (1919)

Action Date: World War I

I found this as well. Part of his passport application and a not so great photo that was submitted with his application.

Enjoy,

Mark

post-5028-0-54165400-1449506514.jpg

post-5028-0-30358500-1449506525.jpg

Here is reference to his 2 citations and great group by the way

By direction of the President, under the provisions of the act of Congress approved July 9, 1918 (Bul. No. 43, W.D., 1918), Chaplain Chester J. Under__hill, United States Navy, is cited by the Commanding General, American Expeditionary Forces, for gallantry in action and a silver star may be placed upon the ribbon of the Victory Medals awarded him. Chaplain Under__hill distinguished himself by gallantry in action while attached to the Sixth Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces, in action during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive, France, 1 - 11 November 1918, in caring for the wounded under heavy shell fire.

General Orders: GHQ, American Expeditionary Forces, Citation Order No. 5 (June 3, 1919)

Action Date: November 1 - 11, 1918

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

By direction of the President, under the provisions of the act of Congress approved July 9, 1918 (Bul. No. 43, W.D., 1918), Chaplain Chester J. Under__hill, United States Navy, is cited by the Commanding General, SECOND DIVISION A.E.F., for gallantry in action and a silver star may be placed upon the ribbon of the Victory Medals awarded him. Chaplain Under__hill distinguished himself by gallantry in action while attached to the Sixth Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces, in action against the enemy in the Champagne Sector, France, during World War I.

General Orders: 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces, Citation Order No. 64 (1919)

Action Date: World War I

Thank you, Gator for these citations and the passport info. Again, as early as 1919 he shown as "U,S, Navy". The mystery over his branch of service continues! Bobgee

Great acquisition Bob. Always love seeing WWI 6th Reg related items

Thanks Mr. 0369! I just noticed your new rank of S/Sgt! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!! Semper Fi........Bob

Thanks Mr. 0369! I just noticed your new rank of S/Sgt! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!! Semper Fi........Bob

Thanks Bob! It was 2 years of stress off my shoulders with the new up or out policies in place

Here's an interesting Brooklyn newspaper article from October 1918 which tells a lot about the chaplain. Hope you can enlarge it enough to read it. Bobgee

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_27__1918_ SMALL.jpg

Having seen this in person it's a fantastic and exceedingly rare 4th Marine Brigade item and could not have a better home. Wonderful group and can't wait to learn more as the details reveal themselves on Chaplain Underhill.

Semper Fi

Article that goes with the previous picture:

CH - Thank you so much for this new info and photo! Much appreciated. Bobgee

Well, thanks to 'devildog34' it is confirmed that Chaplain Under_hill was in fact a U.S. Army Chaplain/Officer NOT a U.S. Navy officer. Kevin located him on a list of U.S. Army personnel, mostly officers, that were assigned to the 4th Brigade of Marines and provided me with a copy. Thanks, Kevin! Now all need is a 1917/19 photo of him in uniform! Bobgee

Very nice group, bob. A long shot on the photo, but couldn't hurt to contact the Am. Legion Post he was commander of and the Washington St. Baptist Church, Lynn, MA where he was pastor that are mentioned in that last newspaper photo.