Did You Never Ever Wear Your Medals?

Wharfmaster

My Father served in the Navy and Reserve for over 20 years. He was commissioned in 1943 and retired about 1965.

During his career, he never once wore his full size or mini medals. He had to attend a number of "events" in his dress blues & whites and still wore ribbons only. I helped him request his medals long after he retired.

During your service career, did you not ever have to wear your medals?

Thanks and best regards,

The Wharfmaster

I wore my full size medals for my retirement photo, and some military funerals. I wear my mini medals for Memorial Day and Veterans Day Ceremonies

Leigh

I am retired USN and the only time I wore medals was at every Change of Command ceremony.

Chris

Always at the change of command ceremonies.

Well i was only in the Army(canadian) for a very short time so I never wore them then (heck they weren't issued until after i got out) . Now as a firefighter i wear them at least once year for special events but I prefer to wear ribbons if i can

David

In almost 30 years I've only worn mine a few times. In the Navy, full sized medals can technically be prescribed for many different command events. However, any decent CO will refrain from doing that because of the expense involved in putting a set together. An E4 w/ a wife and two kids certainly has better things to spend his or her money on. Ribbons are just fine for most things. Voluntary events, such as a Navy Ball, are different..

Well i was only in the Army(canadian) for a very short time so I never wore them then (heck they weren't issued until after i got out) . Now as a firefighter i wear them at least once year for special events but I prefer to wear ribbons if i can

David

Never wore my medals while in the service.But I do wear my ribbons on my f.d. class-A's.

In almost 30 years I've only worn mine a few times. In the Navy, full sized medals can technically be prescribed for many different command events. However, any decent CO will refrain from doing that because of the expense involved in putting a set together. An E4 w/ a wife and two kids certainly has better things to spend his or her money on. Ribbons are just fine for most things. Voluntary events, such as a Navy Ball, are different..

A voluntary Ball? What's that? :o

I was a Marine for 4 years and know what you mean :) They are very optional events in the Navy though. I've only been to one.

Wore large medals for my own retirement. Miniatures to all other events prescribing medals.

Hey Swabbie,

Were you an Info Warfare Tech CWO?

Yes, about sixteen times maybe more. My first enlistment we had a personnel inspection every month. Ribbons the first month then medals. Change of command ceremony. Strange the last change of command the officers wore medals the enlisted ribbons. Never understood that one.

I have been in the Marine Corps for just over 20 years now. I have been to a Marine Corps ball for almost all of those years (some times deployed or during a move, so did not make the ball). For most of these I wore my Blues, and for all of the time I wore blues Medals were what was required. I also wore tham at a few funerals. There were also various times when they were the required uniform, such as a mess night, etc.

....all said, at least 30 different times.

The Marine Corps ball was not "required", however it was "Highly encouraged". The word would get passed something like this "you are highly encouraged to go to the ball. if you think you cant make it, you will have to see the CO, XO, or SgtMaj to explain why"

I always had a good time at the ball, and those that were initially reluctant would usually have a good time as well. I am currently at a Navy command with a large USMC presence. The esprit de corps often times seen for Marine Functions doesen't carry over for Navy functions. My father who spent 4 years in the Army also comented on this being his experience "you Marines are all gung Ho".

I am not sure if it is pride in service or just that the SgtMaj said so, but we do wear our medals from time to time.

Semper Fi

John

I wore my full sized medals at every change of command, graduation from the Naval Postgraduate School (we wore ribbons at my Naval War College graduation, interestingly), and several weddings. I wore my minis to every Navy Ball, Destroyerman's Ball, and Surface Warfare Ball (sometimes had 3 per year!)

Sometimes, they'd get so tiring to wear..... :D

wedding.jpg

My First Sergeant used to say, "I can't make you go, but you will be there and you will have fun, whether you like it or not!"

I had the chance to meet a General who was selling his medals while in a retirement home. He was regular army and served from Mexican campaign through Korea. All his medals were in the original boxes and cases. In talking to him he confirmed he had never worn any of them in his forty years of service.

20 years and 17 days in the US Army, and I never wore my medals. I always wore my ribbons. And I only wear my ribbons on my dress uniform as Captain of my Post Color Guard. I noticed that some of our counterparts in other vets orgs wear their medals. And most of them are jarheads. :D Danny

I wore my full sized medals at every change of command, graduation from the Naval Postgraduate School (we wore ribbons at my Naval War College graduation, interestingly), and several weddings. I wore my minis to every Navy Ball, Destroyerman's Ball, and Surface Warfare Ball (sometimes had 3 per year!)

Sometimes, they'd get so tiring to wear..... :D

Dave:

Could you please change your avatar to this photo in uniform, it's a classic!

Regards

W

I have wear my Bundeswehr Einsazmedaille only on the day i became the medal. Now shes in a drawer of my desk.

Greetings Stefan

Stefan, show us your medal, bitte.

Regards,

W