Norman D. Landing

bilko1

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Todays finds  . . . . . . . . . 

Two rusty British Jerrycans both dated 1943 but different manufacturers, and what I assume are a pair of German leggings, as to original, post-war or reproduction I have no idea. The rusty can on the right I have already donated it to a local friends ' rust garden' display. 

The sad part about all these old cans is that they are not really usable due to internal rust flakes which can fill vehicle filters or carburettors,

display or decoration only . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_f028.jpeg.8081f4a07ed74abaaa9d94bf511f64bd.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 11  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

With your friend's permission, of course, I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that rust garden. 

Mikie

Oh my,  such great detail with your photographs.  When you go back over, you should see Yves Poisson and ask him to show you some of the digs he's found while working his fields.  It actually made me almost sick, as it give's you an idea how big that hospital was after the battle.  The worst losses the 82nd had during the war.  I've see what that area look's like in the winter when they close the lock gates.  If you saw my briefing at my www.ww2dday.com  (65th Ann pics),  I believe I mention Julius Eisner, "D-505th PIR" and D-Day Pathfinder who landed with 2nd Bat 505 Pathfinder at DZ O,  behind and up in the field past the Iron Mike monument, or walking towards SME from the bridge past Gavin's Foxhole, a few hundred yards to the left in that huge field.  Anyway, Julian was later hit in the helmet by a small enemy artillery round.  It put  a canteen-size hole in the thing.  He was cut and bleeding a bit. He went to an aid station and got patched up and they were nice enough to,get him another helmet!  I don't think he was even worried about a Purple Heart.  They put him back "in the game".  I asked him what it felt like?  He told me it felt like he'd been hit by a telephone pole.  I think had it been me.  I would have told them that I didn't want to go back "into the game". Julius was later sent with his pathfinders over near Blosville to help land the gliders.  Sent back to England, he participated in "Market-Garden".  Was carrying a BAR and fighting in the Nijmegen Railway yard when he was again wounded very bad in the legs. Dutch Resistance put him on a bicycle stretcher and took him to a hospital.  They just didn't tell him it was a German hospital!  The next morning 82nd troopers overran the place before the Germans discovered Julius was Jewish.  He was sent to Antwerpen and back to England to a hospital.  He was told he'd probably never walk again!  He started exercising on his own. And one day went to see a friend in the Army Air Corps and told him he needed to catch a flight to France.  His friend said, "for what"?  Julius told him he needed to get back to the war.  The guy said, "I can't do that, it's not authorized".  Julius said, "Just get me on an aircraft, you know nothing".  Well, the next thing you know, Julius lands in a mail glider at Chartres, France.  Later he was stopped hitchhiking by MP's.  They wanted to see his papers and he told them "he didn't have any papers".  But he had come from England to go back to the 82nd Airborne.  At that time he was told he was going to jail.  The next morning they woke him up and told him that they believed his story and they were getting him up to Camp Soissins near Reims.  Julius got there and the 82nd was not there.  They were in Belgium.  They got Julius to the Ardennes.  On his birthday around his birthday, the first week in January 1945 he reported to the Company Commander of D-505th PIR.  The captain asked, "Where are you coming from"?  Julius told him that he was AWOL from the hospital in England.  The captain said, "Good, grab a rifle, we need you".  One day I was outside the Stop Bar telling that story to an 82nd Major (Pathfinder) and a Lt. Colonel.  All of a sudden I looked and said to them, "I'm not going to finish this story".  I hollered over and said, "Julius, come over here".  I didn't even know he was there that June.  I asked him about his backpay, as his pay would have been stopped as he was AWOL?  He told me that when Gavin was the commander of the 505th as a Colonel. He gave a speech one day and told those guys, "If you ever get separated from the regiment, hospital, replacement detachment, etc...  If you make it back to the Regiment, I'll get you off of the charges". Gavin was a great guy!  The youngest 2-Star General in the army at age 36 next to Ulysses S. Grant.  And Julius returned home and got a job  walking a Postal Route until he retired in 1969.  Not bad for a guy that was told "he'd probably never walk again".  I told Julius that he was quite amazing, as he had a free ticket home and went AWOL back to the war!   Julius told me that he had to get back to those guys, he couldn't leave them!   I sure miss that guy and all the others.  What a great bunch they were! 

Tim

General Apathy

Bringing home the Christmas tree . . . . . . 

Hi Johan,  John in London went out to bring home a Christmas tree, I told him the hat and the tree is an acceptable look for December but would look a little dated by June . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol: 👅

.IMG-20211211-WA0005.jpg.0acd03e115239b52b68499d5cb93f3d7.jpg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 12  2021.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

American Graffiti

Great photo, but it begs the question why did he buy a pre-packaged one, when he clearly has all the tools attached to the side of the jeep, to chop one down himself! 😆

AG

General Apathy
1 hour ago, American Graffiti said:

Great photo, but it begs the question why did he buy a pre-packaged one, when he clearly has all the tools attached to the side of the jeep, to chop one down himself! 😆

AG

Hi AG.

The answer is he lives in central London and he's not that kind of Feller ( pun intended Fella / Fellow ) :lol:

Que Monty Python Lumberjack song . . . . . . . . .

And for our German and Continental members . . . . . . . . . . The Lumberjack song in German . . . . . . . . :huh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiVOG199X2c

American Graffiti

Also what kind of helmet net is that tree wearing?🤔

Non regulation methinks, some kind of Bastogne lacey fishnet improvised job, anyway shows what a handy utility vehicle the jeep is.

AG

General Apathy

repairing bent ' lugs ' on my PSP  Planks . . . . . . . 

I started today on reshaping the side lugs on the sheets of PSP matting I bought on Friday, I started with a metre long steel bar and slotted the end to fit over the lugs and twist back into line.  Worked ok on the first sheet but then noticed that the slot at the end of the bar was beginning to widen so I had to weld two strengthening pieces one either side, working well again and with very little effort using the length of the bar similar to a fulcrum. 

.fullsizeoutput_ef2d.jpeg.e49cde45921fe304c77f407da29af914.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_f070.jpeg.5bf8ebad7a047073e18bdca92ff14211.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_f06a.jpeg.cfca0a861f70e3e036f98dc4b3c734d4.jpeg

General Apathy
3 hours ago, American Graffiti said:

Also what kind of helmet net is that tree wearing?🤔

Non regulation methinks, some kind of Bastogne lacey fishnet improvised job, anyway shows what a handy utility vehicle the jeep is.

AG

Hi AG,

yes very versatile with numerous adjustments used, here's a shot of how one British Army REME unit ' used & abused ' one of their Jeeps.

.IMG_2025.JPG.ca8026b3f06a5db4f9da6a44f12fc46d.JPG

General Apathy
13 hours ago, Mapman said:

Oh my,  such great detail with your photographs.  When you go back over, you should see Yves Poisson and ask him to show you some of the digs he's found while working his fields.  It actually made me almost sick, as it give's you an idea how big that hospital was after the battle.  The worst losses the 82nd had during the war.  I've see what that area look's like in the winter when they close the lock gates.  If you saw my briefing at my www.ww2dday.com  (65th Ann pics),  I believe I mention Julius Eisner, "D-505th PIR" and D-Day Pathfinder who landed with 2nd Bat 505 Pathfinder at DZ O,  behind and up in the field past the Iron Mike monument, or walking towards SME from the bridge past Gavin's Foxhole, a few hundred yards to the left in that huge field.  Anyway, Julian was later hit in the helmet by a small enemy artillery round.  It put  a canteen-size hole in the thing.  He was cut and bleeding a bit. He went to an aid station and got patched up and they were nice enough to,get him another helmet!  I don't think he was even worried about a Purple Heart.  They put him back "in the game".  I asked him what it felt like?  He told me it felt like he'd been hit by a telephone pole.  I think had it been me.  I would have told them that I didn't want to go back "into the game". Julius was later sent with his pathfinders over near Blosville to help land the gliders.  Sent back to England, he participated in "Market-Garden".  Was carrying a BAR and fighting in the Nijmegen Railway yard when he was again wounded very bad in the legs. Dutch Resistance put him on a bicycle stretcher and took him to a hospital.  They just didn't tell him it was a German hospital!  The next morning 82nd troopers overran the place before the Germans discovered Julius was Jewish.  He was sent to Antwerpen and back to England to a hospital.  He was told he'd probably never walk again!  He started exercising on his own. And one day went to see a friend in the Army Air Corps and told him he needed to catch a flight to France.  His friend said, "for what"?  Julius told him he needed to get back to the war.  The guy said, "I can't do that, it's not authorized".  Julius said, "Just get me on an aircraft, you know nothing".  Well, the next thing you know, Julius lands in a mail glider at Chartres, France.  Later he was stopped hitchhiking by MP's.  They wanted to see his papers and he told them "he didn't have any papers".  But he had come from England to go back to the 82nd Airborne.  At that time he was told he was going to jail.  The next morning they woke him up and told him that they believed his story and they were getting him up to Camp Soissins near Reims.  Julius got there and the 82nd was not there.  They were in Belgium.  They got Julius to the Ardennes.  On his birthday around his birthday, the first week in January 1945 he reported to the Company Commander of D-505th PIR.  The captain asked, "Where are you coming from"?  Julius told him that he was AWOL from the hospital in England.  The captain said, "Good, grab a rifle, we need you".  One day I was outside the Stop Bar telling that story to an 82nd Major (Pathfinder) and a Lt. Colonel.  All of a sudden I looked and said to them, "I'm not going to finish this story".  I hollered over and said, "Julius, come over here".  I didn't even know he was there that June.  I asked him about his backpay, as his pay would have been stopped as he was AWOL?  He told me that when Gavin was the commander of the 505th as a Colonel. He gave a speech one day and told those guys, "If you ever get separated from the regiment, hospital, replacement detachment, etc...  If you make it back to the Regiment, I'll get you off of the charges". Gavin was a great guy!  The youngest 2-Star General in the army at age 36 next to Ulysses S. Grant.  And Julius returned home and got a job  walking a Postal Route until he retired in 1969.  Not bad for a guy that was told "he'd probably never walk again".  I told Julius that he was quite amazing, as he had a free ticket home and went AWOL back to the war!   Julius told me that he had to get back to those guys, he couldn't leave them!   I sure miss that guy and all the others.  What a great bunch they were! 

Tim

Hi Tim.

as suggested they really were the greatest generation,  heres the story of two brothers I photographed next to the Blosville Cemetery monument.

.fullsizeoutput_f09b.jpeg.c9eba27c54164fca7884d38a803432b6.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_f095.jpeg.1315f9a77b6f68b126d148e351a28cc0.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_f096.jpeg.1e5fac1c12a8ec89e2f96890ad622922.jpeg

I knew I'd heard the name Sam Gibbons.  Probably thru Static Line or the 50th Anniversary.  The first 4-speed I ever drove was an army jeep.  I had a captain that I made a mistake and told him I knew what a 45-70 Indian Wars (Custer era) rifle was.  He immediately "after a few questions" decided I'd drive for him.  I replied, "No sir, I'm not".  He demanded, "Why not"?  I explained that I couldn't drive a 4-speed.  His answer to that was, "You'll learn".  And I became a driver for "Mad Mike" Farrell.  I went home and saw uncle Harry.  He's the one that got me into Normandy.  He, "David" (his brother) and brother-in-law, John F. Boose, were all in the 110th Field Artillery.  Harry would drive a jeep all the way from Omaha to Germany.  One day, he couldn't find his jeep?  He was sure someone in the unit got it.  He saw another jeep and asked, "Is that General Sands jeep"?  The answer was year.  Sgt Green jumped into the jeep and told the guy to tell "uncle Billy" that Harry got his jeep, and he drove it off!  No, Harry wasn't the nephew of Brigadier General William Sands, Division Artillery Officer.  But he and Harry got along great!  One day, Harry was on a slide-board underneath a jeep.  He saw a pair of legs standing by the jeep and heard an ahem, (a second time).  Harry slid out from under the jeep and this major was standing there.  Harry disregarded him and slid back under the jeep.  Well, Brig General Sands was nearby and walked over to the major.  The major reported to him, saluted.  And then the major almost cried telling BG Sands that Sgt Green didn't salute him!  My uncle was still under the jeep. when Sands looked at the major and said, "I guess Sgt Green's busy".  (Harry loved telling me that story).  Harry never did get his jeep back.  He was sure that the Virginia guys in the 111th Field Artillery took it.  So one day, Harry commandeered a 111th jeep and made a 110th FA stencil and redid the bumpers with 110th.  He was alway's worried that one day he'd drive by another 110th jeep with the same HQ's number on the bumper!  But it never happened.  The 111th only got 1 single 105-gun to the beach on D-Day.  They gave it to the 1st Division.  Lt Col. Mullins was the CO of the 111th from Suffolk, VA.. He was wounded in the hand as he made it to the beach.  He led one of the few tank's toward's a bunker when he was seriously hit again.  His last words were something like, "At least the boys were able to fight as Infantry today".  The 110th Field Artillery of Pikesville, Maryland took over all the 111th's fire missions. I don't know when they were issued new cannons?  

Tim

General Apathy
17 hours ago, mikie said:

With your friend's permission, of course, I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that rust garden. 

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

There are a number of people in Normandy that gather together military equipment that is so badly damaged or corroded that they just stack it up and let it ' Rust in Peace ' .  I will see if I can get a photo for you in the next couple of days.  

General Apathy
17 hours ago, mikie said:

Well done! I was able to follow your directions with only minor confusion. Which for me is remarkable. 

Sleeping outdoors in overnight subzero temperatures when you really didn't have to! That's dedication! Or something.  In my younger days, my dad, brothers and I would spend many a winter day on weekends on Oneida Lake ice fishing. Subzero was the norm. And I loved it at the time. But when the sun started to go down, we would head on back in. In my old age, I can't imagine doing that now. 

Mikie

Hi Mikie.

I forgot to mention that we slept out for about eight or nine days.  One of the fun things in the woods were when friends had their backs towards you was to sneak behind and then hit the trunk of the tree with the blunt side of the blade and all the snow would shower them dropping off the branches, clean childish fun . . . . . . . 

General Apathy
On 12/11/2021 at 11:30 AM, Escht said:

Similar sort of thing when the Argentinians attacked the Falklands, most Brits had no idea where they were. Think most thought they were somewhere off the coast of Scotland until the press started to explain that they were the other end of the globe.

Hi Kevin.

Well it's not all Brits that didn't know where the Falklands were, just to confirm for you it's a speck in the ocean somewhere off the south coast of Lands End, Cornwall . . . . . . . . . . .:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Mikie,

There are a number of people in Normandy that gather together military equipment that is so badly damaged or corroded that they just stack it up and let it ' Rust in Peace ' .  I will see if I can get a photo for you in the next couple of days.  

That's awesome. I do something similar on a much smaller scale around my house. Mine are just some odds and ends that are too far gone to save but too cool to throw away. Mine isn't limited to military stuff. Just whatever. 

Mikie

Hi Kevin.

Well it's not all Brits that didn't know where the Falklands were, just to confirm for you it's a speck in the ocean somewhere off the south coast of Lands End, Cornwall . . . . . . . . . . .:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not a Brit, but a wide reader since my early school days. I read a book about the 1914 naval battle there a few years before the '82 war. So was quite familiar with the geography. I just could never figure out how they got named for that actor who played Columbo. 

Mikie

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie.

I forgot to mention that we slept out for about eight or nine days.  One of the fun things in the woods were when friends had their backs towards you was to sneak behind and then hit the trunk of the tree with the blunt side of the blade and all the snow would shower them dropping off the branches, clean childish fun . . . . . . . 

😂

Do any of you guys know Colin MacMillan?  He's in London and has a nice jeep.  I haven't seen him in several years.  I've seen the 2 Victoria Crosses in the Para Musee at Aldershot.  Sgt Ian McCay and Lt Col T. Jones. Both were from the Falkland's.  Or was it The Malvinas?  

Tim

Johan Willaert

Catching up after returning from the Ardennes trip...

Along the way I saw this photo of GIs talking to Belgian civilians in the area and what draw my attention is the M1917 Trench (Knuckle) knife barely visible on the soldier in the foreground... The knife's curved handle can be seen just behind his arm.
The way the 'triangles' are bent shows that particular knife was made by AC Company in 1917.
The LFC made knives with 'pyramids' pressed into the handle seem to be more common...
Still uncommon to see these knives carried well into WW2...

Also below an AC Co made M1917 knife from my collection...

M1917-Ardennes-1944-45.jpg

M1917Knife-2.jpg

5 hours ago, Mapman said:

Do any of you guys know Colin MacMillan?  He's in London and has a nice jeep.  I haven't seen him in several years.  I've seen the 2 Victoria Crosses in the Para Musee at Aldershot.  Sgt Ian McCay and Lt Col T. Jones. Both were from the Falkland's.  Or was it The Malvinas?  

Tim

Sergeant Ian McKay, VC and Lieutenant Colonel H. Jones, VC, OBE; to be correct.

5 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Along the way I saw this photo of GIs talking to Belgian civilians in the area and what draw my attention is the M1917 Trench (Knuckle) knife barely visible on the soldier in the foreground... The knife's curved handle can be seen just behind his arm.
The way the 'triangles' are bent shows that particular knife was made by AC Company in 1917.
The LFC made knives with 'pyramids' pressed into the handle seem to be more common...

M1917Knife-2.jpg

Welcome back Johan.  Hope you had a good trip.

I was caught up in the controversies about those M1917 knives a few years ago. 

Here is my Dad's LF&C M1917 version for comparison.  He was issued it in 1940 when he joined the New York National Guard.  Sometime in 1942, he was told that they were declared illegal due to the triangular blade and were supposed to turn them in.  Dad sent his home instead and I am it's current custodian.   I was told somewhat forcefully a while ago that the blades were NOT illegal. Also told that this is a debunked myth.  Perhaps it is?  But that is the story Dad said he was told by his superiors at the time, so I'm sticking with it.  The fact that you found a photo of one being carried in 1944 is very interesting. 

Mikie

M1917 Knife.jpg

General Apathy
6 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

M1917Knife-2.jpg

40 minutes ago, mikie said:

Welcome back Johan.  Hope you had a good trip.

I was caught up in the controversies about those M1917 knives a few years ago. 

Here is my Dad's LF&C M1917 version for comparison.  He was issued it in 1940 when he joined the New York National Guard.  Sometime in 1942, he was told that they were declared illegal due to the triangular blade and were supposed to turn them in.  Dad sent his home instead and I am it's current custodian.   I was told somewhat forcefully a while ago that the blades were NOT illegal. Also told that this is a debunked myth.  Perhaps it is?  But that is the story Dad said he was told by his superiors at the time, so I'm sticking with it.  The fact that you found a photo of one being carried in 1944 is very interesting. 

Mikie

M1917 Knife.jpg

Hi Johan & Mikie.

Johan,  great photo, sadly the AC. Co. model you have, I never managed to find one during my collecting blitz days.

Mikie, Very nice father and son connection to your knife, very poignant treasure for you.

I did have two examples, one in original scabbard and one in a leather replacement scabbard, sold along with all my other knives in my 2018 auction, some of them shown here. 

Johan, I would offer you this advice below and advise you to start labelling things  . . . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_f0eb.jpeg.815cfaf90ce51cf516b4a955e737c5d9.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_f0f2.jpeg.226e42621270f7caebd1d5c103221da9.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_f0f4.jpeg.a256290f683a7ecc6b7ab27c2cefb76d.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 13  2021.

General Apathy
12 hours ago, Mapman said:

Tim

Hi Tim,  I have a few Jeeping friends in London but never lived there personally, neither I or my friends know Colin MacMillan.  Due to the size of London nine million people currently its very difficult, I found it interesting that the population count for London in 1940 was eight and half million, a constant stream of people arriving and others leaving, and leaving sounds pretty good to me seeing London presently. 

General Apathy
6 hours ago, numbersix said:

Sergeant Ian McKay, VC and Lieutenant Colonel H. Jones, VC, OBE; to be correct.

Hi Numbersix,

Thanks for joining in.

General Apathy

Christmas approaches . . . . . . . . . a reminder !!

.fullsizeoutput_f0de.jpeg.8cb2cd56a610b3d7b5c31e955ff2a245.jpeg