Norman D. Landing

bilko1

7 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Message from Ken...

Seems his internet access has been cut off... a technical issue outside his place.
Should be repaired next Friday..

Johan

Oh NO!  

Maybe he will have a ton of good stuff piling up to post when he gets back online.  

Mikie

On 11/30/2021 at 10:02 AM, Johan Willaert said:

Message from Ken...

Seems his internet access has been cut off... a technical issue outside his place.
Should be repaired next Friday..

Johan

Ken will be missed! I wish I had some "then and now" pictures or jeep pictures to post. I did recently put together two of the small Cobi block jeeps. I need to take pictures. They are the only jeep I can afford!

...Kat

19 hours ago, mikie said:

Oh NO!  

Maybe he will have a ton of good stuff piling up to post when he gets back online.  

Mikie

I know! I am trying to think of something we can post in his absence but no one compares to Ken.

...Kat

General Apathy
On 11/30/2021 at 11:13 PM, mikie said:

Oh NO!  

Mikie

Hi Mikie.

I believe there's three types of Hope, Live in Hope, Bob Hope and No Hope. !!!!  

pleased to say that my internet connection was sorted this evening and hopefully I will add ' something ' tomorrow.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 01  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

44 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie.

I believe there's three types of Hope, Live in Hope, Bob Hope and No Hope. !!!!  

pleased to say that my internet connection was sorted this evening and hopefully I will add ' something ' tomorrow.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 01  2021.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Woohoo!  

I was getting desperate about finding something relevant to the forum to help fill in if Ken was going to be out for a while and came up with nothing much.  So instead here are a few of Pearls Before Swine, my favorite comic strip, that caters to my pun obsession. 

Mikie 

PBS Elvis.jpg

PBS Roast Nan.jpg

General Apathy
8 hours ago, mikie said:

And here are a few more of my favorite Pearls Before Swine comics just because I have the giggles now...

PBS Pig Moderation.jpg

Hi Mikie.

Well YOU had me laughing with this one . . . . . . . . 

Back in the late 70's my Jeeping passenger friend had been away at university and finally finished  and was moving back home. However he didn't want to move back into his mothers house and said he needed to look for a small apartment locally, ( he wanted to have some fun ) I said he could have a spare room at my house until he found somewhere. 

Anyway not having a car we would go weekly to the supermarket in my car, then meet up at the checkout and back to the house.  So one time we did this I laid my stuff out on the belt track to be scanned.  He pointed at my pack of butter and said to me that I shouldn't be using butter that I should use low-fat margarine, I looked at him and said ' Nick, when you stop using SIX spoons of sugar in your coffee then I will listen to your ' advertising ' advice '.

Well I have only eaten real butter all my life, I use milk daily on cereals, and I eat lots of cheese, all dairy products, my cholesterol is at the bottom of the range, my heart beat is right on beat,  my pulse has always been correct, and my lungs are strong and clear, a happy bunny.   

p.s. I have avoided the two ' white deaths '  in life,  white processed sugar and salt, not used those since the early 70's.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 02  2021.

General Apathy

Well the post arrived this morning and excitedly I spotted that there was a government envelope in there, I've been expecting a reply from the government regarding new number plates.  

As I said I excitedly opened the envelope and read that instead of details of the new number plates it was a demand for 68 euros as they had recorded some idiot in a Red Volvo doing 95 KPH in an 80 KPH area, I have to say I find it so hard to drive at 80 KPH, I know, it's a male thing. 

In the UK they used to have an anti-speeding advertisement ' Speed Kills ', well if speed kills why do ambulances drive so fast !!!!

General Apathy
On 11/30/2021 at 11:13 PM, mikie said:

Oh NO!  

Mikie

19 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken will be missed! I wish I had some "then and now" pictures or jeep pictures to post. I did recently put together two of the small Cobi block jeeps. I need to take pictures. They are the only jeep I can afford!

...Kat

Thank you both, Mikie & Kat.

I used the time without internet to sort photo's and a few boxes of items, so whether these will fall into the, ' ton of good stuff to post ' who can say . . . . . . . 

a few images of ' Saving Private Ryan ' items

.fullsizeoutput_ec1c.jpeg.bffaf30bb95719c535c0110482bb586c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_ebd7.jpeg.cbd5dd35f74af5b93da020fd07c42c3f.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_ebe7.jpeg.e4069143dbb866a60dad1c485ba45f84.jpeg

General Apathy

Another item I supplied to ' Saving Private Ryan '  . . . . . . . .

fullsizeoutput_ec03.jpeg

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

fullsizeoutput_ec03.jpeg

Oh WOW!!  Now I think this is the coolest! That was an iconic scene!! I love this more than the rubber tools.

...Kat

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie.

Well YOU had me laughing with this one . . . . . . . . 

Back in the late 70's my Jeeping passenger friend had been away at university and finally finished  and was moving back home. However he didn't want to move back into his mothers house and said he needed to look for a small apartment locally, ( he wanted to have some fun ) I said he could have a spare room at my house until he found somewhere. 

Anyway not having a car we would go weekly to the supermarket in my car, then meet up at the checkout and back to the house.  So one time we did this I laid my stuff out on the belt track to be scanned.  He pointed at my pack of butter and said to me that I shouldn't be using butter that I should use low-fat margarine, I looked at him and said ' Nick, when you stop using SIX spoons of sugar in your coffee then I will listen to your ' advertising ' advice '.

Well I have only eaten real butter all my life, I use milk daily on cereals, and I eat lots of cheese, all dairy products, my cholesterol is at the bottom of the range, my heart beat is right on beat,  my pulse has always been correct, and my lungs are strong and clear, a happy bunny.   

p.s. I have avoided the two ' white deaths '  in life,  white processed sugar and salt, not used those since the early 70's.

Good advice on proper diet, salt, and sugar.  I've taken it to heart the past 10 years or so. I'm glad to hear it has a good effect on you.  I much prefer real butter too, but only use it sparingly these days.  Since the 70's a great deal of research indicates that fake butter is worse for you in almost every way than real butter.  When I was a kid, my Dad used to love listening to The Echos of Poland radio show on Sunday mornings.  Nothing like getting awakened bright and early Sunday mornings by my Dad blasting polka music. He made up for it my making us pancakes. Fond memories from 45+ years ago.  Anyway, the host, Ed "Something",  that I can't remember, used to wage his personal one man war against margarine. He used to get on his anti-fake butter war horse on air.  It was really funny at the time, but turns out he was 100% correct. 

Mikie 

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Thank you both, Mikie & Kat.

I used the time without internet to sort photo's and a few boxes of items, so whether these will fall into the, ' ton of good stuff to post ' who can say . . . . . . . 

a few images of ' Saving Private Ryan ' items

.fullsizeoutput_ec1c.jpeg.bffaf30bb95719c535c0110482bb586c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_ebd7.jpeg.cbd5dd35f74af5b93da020fd07c42c3f.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_ebe7.jpeg.e4069143dbb866a60dad1c485ba45f84.jpeg

Having you back is a "ton of good stuff" all by itself.  It seems some of the regulars around here have been a bit scarce lately.  I hope all is well with everyone.   

I've always wondered what to use to cut rubber wires.  Now I know!  A real set of war-issue cutters is one of the things on my wish list.  Not a big priority to get, but it I have a mint condition 1942 pouch that's been waiting for one for almost 80 years now. 

Mikie  

General Apathy
5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

fullsizeoutput_ec03.jpeg

Hi Kat,

many thanks, it was a very memorable scene when seen in the film . . . . . . for such a small piece of equipment. 

General Apathy
2 hours ago, mikie said:

I've always wondered what to use to cut rubber wires.  Now I know!  A real set of war-issue cutters is one of the things on my wish list.  Not a big priority to get, but it I have a mint condition 1942 pouch that's been waiting for one for almost 80 years now. 

Mikie  

Hi Mikie,

Here are a few of the variations wire cutters and pouches I parted with in my 2018 auction.  I haven't been able to find the photo of a pair of WWII wire cutters sealed in a soft resin block in a paper sac outer with all the manufacturers name and date details on. 

.fullsizeoutput_eca5.jpeg.a1fa6e0afbaf40264c6fb7c798dd02b1.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_ecae.jpeg.08ee258f285289c4995a06c121dc0c3c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_ecb3.jpeg.39e2fa819e9639f815dce97796c502e7.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_ecba.jpeg.6406ee4b82917a408a9750e48a3b444a.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Mikie.

found another two images of wire cutters I sold back in 2018,  note the second unissued ones still had tape holding the handles together and the remains of a soft resin rustproofing cover on the metalwork of the head.  ( funny as a collector when you can't just be happy with one of something and then you have to try and get all the variations, makes and patterns . . . . . . . . .  )

.fullsizeoutput_ecc3.jpeg.00eb790d1d1da8fe0672b9cf1b847c62.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_ecc8.jpeg.65acd31f213b520d05a7816104bee5e3.jpeg

13 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie.

found another two images of wire cutters I sold back in 2018,  note the second unissued ones still had tape holding the handles together and the remains of a soft resin rustproofing cover on the metalwork of the head.  ( funny as a collector when you can't just be happy with one of something and then you have to try and get all the variations, makes and patterns . . . . . . . . .  )

.fullsizeoutput_ecc3.jpeg.00eb790d1d1da8fe0672b9cf1b847c62.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_ecc8.jpeg.65acd31f213b520d05a7816104bee5e3.jpeg

Thanks for posting all the wire cutters and pouches. Nice to see them.   I'd just like to find a nice wartime example to go with my pouch.  Due to storage and display space shortage issues, not to mention budget the past 5 years putting my dear daughter through college without taking out a school loan, getting a whole constellation of anything is pretty much out.  My desire for More! More! More! is pretty much going to be unfulfilled. I do have one of those WWII British Army folding wire cutters.  It comes in handy around the house.  Any US one I ever get will also have to work for it's keep. 

Speaking of the dear daughter,  Kassidy will graduate from college 2 weeks from today!   I'm super thrilled and she is over the top excited.  Not one to shy from a challenge, she put her first job applications in at the hospital at Stanford University.  May as well try for the top. 

OK, enough bragging. Though being a humbly proud dad, it is hard not to.  

Mikie   

Kiddo Grad Portraits 2021 Small.jpg

General Apathy

Damn,  a malfunction, lost all the text reply I had typed in to Tim ( Mapman ), I will have to start all the reply again, apologies for that Tim, it's a quarter to midnight and I am really ready for bed.

Well, since I post a pic of my dear daughter for her upcoming college graduation, I may as well post this one of me and the Dear Wife.  Today is our 32nd wedding anniversary.  I was 32 years old when we married, so we've been together for half my life.  

Mikie    

A & M 2021.jpg

Johan Willaert

Picked up this one today...

1945 dated US Army JerryCan, made in Belgium just near the end or right after WW2.
Made by ACEC, one of several companies known to have produced these...

262848039_314066947236405_9019004032403748271_n.jpg

General Apathy
On 11/30/2021 at 10:20 AM, Mapman said:

Thank's for the reply,

I was just admiring your photos of the cemeteries around Ste Mere Eglise and Blosville.  I also have ties to that area, as I was in the 82nd Airborne during the 30th Anniversary.  We still had 3 of the WW2 guys on jump status at that time.  All 3 jumped back in at the 30th.  I spent a great deal of time with D-Day Pathfinder Robt. M. Murphy, A-505th PIR, who landed not far from La Fiere Bridge at Drop Zone O, as did Julius Eisner, D-505th PIR.  I remember at the bottom of the square, "The Stop Bar" which sort of became the 82nd HQ's during the anniversaries.  It was Bob Murphy that started the anniversary jumps there in 1964.  Funny thing was, he was portrayed in "The Longest Day" landing behind Madame Levrault's (schoolteacher) back yard as she came out on her stoop hearing commotion and looking up in time to see a man land and lookup at her and raise his index finger to his mouth to stay quiet.  Bob immediately told Cornelius Ryan, "That didn't happen to me".  Ryan laughed and told Bob he knew that, as he'd written the book. "Just a bit of Hollywood" Ryan told him.  Well, Bob must have had a premonition, because there wasn't a time in Normandy that someone said to him:  You landed behind the lady's house!  And Bob spent a huge amount of time explaining how he jumped at around 300 feet an hour before the main body of 505th jumped and most landed at DZ O.  A stick of F-Co, 2/505th landed over the square. (See briefing: www.ww2dday.com  65th anniversary photos at bottom of page).

I will tell you a not so funny story about the cemeteries and the movie:  Saving Private Ryan.   I would hangout with many of our guys at the Stop Bar. A lot I never asked who they were with.  We had a mini reunion near Arlington Cemetery one year.  I had my book that many of the guys signed, "Saga of the All-American".  One of the guys that went over every year was there. I had him sign my book. He signed it on the same page Lt. General Gavin had signed it. (Gavin had been the 505th Commander).  I looked and saw the guy I only knew as "Frank" signed it:  Frank Billich D-505.  I looked at him and said, "Frank, did you know Bob Niland"?  Well, Niland was his squad leader and Frank was with him when he got killed at Neuville-au-Plain.  The real name wasn't "Ryan", it was "Niland".  Back to the movie:  The movie portrays Tom Hanks as a Ranger Captain taking a small patrol from Pt du Hoc and looking for a paratroop in the 101st Airborne who's brothers were killed.  We're talking a long hike even under friendly conditions. That NEVER happened.  A chaplain in the 101st Airborne, Captain Francis Sampson received a message to try to locate a Private Fritz Niland.  Sampson put word out to the units asking Niland to come see the Chaplain.  Niland reported and Sampson told him that his brother got killed at Utah Beach.  Sampson to Fritz to jump in the jeep, and they were going to the cemetery. They found the cemetery near Blosville.  And they found the marker.  Well, Fritz looked at it and said, "Oh, it's my brother Bob"?  Sampson was a bit miffed?  He stopped a worker passing by and explained who he was looking for.  The worker said, "Was he in the 82nd Airborne"?  And Sampson replied "No, he was in the 4th Division".  The worker replied, "Oh, well this is the 82nd Airborne's Cemetery.  The 4th Division's cemetery is down the road a ways".  And when they got there, Fritz was devastated when he found his other brother's grave.  Today, both of them are buried in Colleville-sur-Mer in the U.S. cemetery, side by side.  I believe there are 14 pairs of brothers in that cemetery.  American Monuments just identified remains of another twin just before the 75th D-Day Anniversary.  Both were in the Navy when a mine exploded after D-Day at Omaha Beach. Now they are both at Colleville-sur-Mer.  

Not sure if you read the book by Bob Murphy, "No Better Place To Die".  About the battle at La Fiere Bridge.  The 82nd lost over 500 men at that ordeal.  I usually stay theIr at the Manoir House owned by Yves and Chantel Poisson.  Much of the battle was in their home. 

Tim

Hi Tim,

Well you say you were in the 82nd during the thirtieth anniversary and that you were also in Ste Mere Eglise and in the Stop bar on the thirtieth, I suppose my two out of three counts as a close encounter, I was also in Ste Mere Eglise for the thirtieth, and I was also at times in the Stop bar, we could well have passed one another back then.

I may have seen Bob Murphy as I have attended nearly all the the anniversary's since the thirtieth, but I know I wasn't introduced to him personally.

Regarding the American cemetery at Blosville it was named that as the commune of Blosville was next field across from the cemetery but technically the land used was within the commune of Carquebut, also the fields that were used belonged to the mayor of Carquebut, and his son aged fifteen was employed by the Americans to dig graves for the American KIA's.  I was pleased to see that Mr. D' LaRue is still alive aged ninety-two and attended a wreath laying ceremony on the 11th of November this year.

fullsizeoutput_e34d.jpeg.2826d5e5f03b168b701fa89ed643a16b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e38b.jpeg.c0bf7e30ed6c636acd59a09b33d1d66f.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e36e.jpeg.3144d84e704ef18530311c7fed6a4339.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 04  2021.