Norman D. Landing

bilko1

On 12/15/2021 at 1:26 PM, General Apathy said:

You couldn't make it up . . . . . . . . . .

Hahhaaaa,  on Monday I visited a Jeeping friend for an afternoon coffee, during the coffee he started to relate that I wouldn't believe his next story when he told it to me . . . . . . . the topic had started with my recent speeding offence.  !!!!

So their house is the last house on a blacktop road, after his house it becomes a farmers dirt track and meanders off into the open countryside, the police set up a speed trap the previous week and caught three tractors during the week exceeding 20KPH along the track.  :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_f1fa.jpeg.57bfcb4c6f3f80fb77d2884c17f5f65a.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 15  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

LOL! I can see the high speed chase now!

800px-Race_fast_tractor.jpg

8 hours ago, earlymb said:

A jeep is one of the few vehicles that looks nice with top up or down, but the practical use is a about zero... only good for keeping the strip between the seats dry if there is any wind 🤣

Almost as efficient as a heater in a Volkswagen bug! 😄

General Apathy
9 hours ago, earlymb said:

A jeep is one of the few vehicles that looks nice with top up or down, but the practical use is a about zero... only good for keeping the strip between the seats dry if there is any wind 🤣

Hi earlymb.

you can't do this with the top up . . . . . . . . . . . see the third photo he has the screen up and just one plank of wood . . . . . . . John came from London for the week and ended up helping with the construction work.  

.fullsizeoutput_f270.jpeg.2fc6b59d40ad6532324617fd74e85563.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_f274.jpeg.504369abe9cca322221bf95d72d5c18a.jpeg

.wwii-jeep-.jpg.ef4a829f34a9e52a9410d36239ed0e72.jpg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 16  2021.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy
59 minutes ago, BEAST said:

Almost as efficient as a heater in a Volkswagen bug! 😄

Hi Beast.

What heater, we don't want no stinking heater . . . . . . . . .  ( this should raise a post or a like from Pararafta . . . .  )

General Apathy
57 minutes ago, BEAST said:

LOL! I can see the high speed chase now!

800px-Race_fast_tractor.jpg

Hi Beast

we were at a county show some thirty years ago and there was a tractor pulling event, well when the weights hit the deck the tractors were finished. A friend Dave Walsgrove with a wartime Ward-leFrance wrecker took it into the ring and started pulling the sled with the weights, the weights hit the deck and he continued just rolling along and the crowd at the end of the ring had to part to let him leave the ring along with the sled and weights . . . . . . . . a lovely deep furrow in the ground . . . . . . . .

On 12/13/2021 at 12:40 PM, numbersix said:

Thank you, I very much enjoy this thread.

It's a wonderful place, isn't it? Nice to have you around.

By the way, is " numbersix" a reference to the classic old TV show, The Prisoner? It is one of the greatest TV shows ever! 

Mikie

1 hour ago, doyler said:

Ran across this photo on line. Wasnt sure if it had been posted here.

image.png.2f5d5820da5765edea5d67536ab5585b.png

They are all great photos I don't to remember seeing before, here or anywhere. Thanks! 

Mikie

26 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Beast.

What heater, we don't want no stinking heater . . . . . . . . .  ( this should raise a post or a like from Pararafta . . . .  )

😂 

34 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi earlymb.

you can't do this with the top up . . . . . . . . . . . see the third photo he has the screen up and just one plank of wood . . . . . . . John came from London for the week and ended up helping with the construction work.  

Lumbering around with lumber! You wood never get board doing that.

Mikie

17 minutes ago, mikie said:

By the way, is " numbersix" a reference to the classic old TV show, The Prisoner? It is one of the greatest TV shows ever! 

Thank you, it is a wonderful place indeed.

I want to say yes, but, to be honest, I was inspired by No.6 Boathouse at Portsmouth Dockyard, I had just been there before I joined this site. I really wish I had thought of the Prisoner at time, it's a classic series and makes me sound a lot more interesting!

Salvage Sailor
38 minutes ago, mikie said:

Mikie

Quite true, 

But before he was a number, ..... here's another number

General Apathy
53 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

same jeep, same WAC, note US ARMY WAR SHOW decal

41CF00BD-0B11-489B-B9EA-2A5D5446B228.jpeg

Hi Johan,

Nice shot of the Jeep and WAAC uniform and here's the history of the US Army War Show unit . . . . . . they toured the country putting on shows of military uniforms and equipment for the civilian population. 

.fullsizeoutput_f29c.jpeg.512922fd5a03bf938bc29dcfadd9956a.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 17  2021.

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

Nice shot of the Jeep and WAAC uniform and here's the history of the US Army War Show unit . . . . . . they toured the country putting on shows of military uniforms and equipment for the civilian population. 

.fullsizeoutput_f29c.jpeg.512922fd5a03bf938bc29dcfadd9956a.jpeg

One more thing I didn't know about before! 

12 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

same jeep, same WAC, note US ARMY WAR SHOW decal

I ended up reading about this and came across this striking photograph from the Army War Show 1942, synchronised flamethrowing:

ArmyWarShow1942.jpg.2a0057419f876bd75d8393ac796b2b20.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Ron.

Thanks for all the Jeep photos, here's one of my own I found in paperwork last night, Christmas fun in the snow 1970's.

.fullsizeoutput_f2e1.jpeg.912e3508ac7cd0b61418c95f31193cf0.jpeg

14 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi earlymb.

Well it's still a 'TRUCK, 1/4 ton, 4x4x' :)

I think the biggest thing I ever transported with it was an oversize sheet of wood...

I do have a full set of side enclosures & doors and I have to say that transfers most of the leaking to the windshield rubber, so they keep you dry from the shins up which is nice lol

General Apathy
39 minutes ago, earlymb said:

Well it's still a 'TRUCK, 1/4 ton, 4x4x' :)

I think the biggest thing I ever transported with it was an oversize sheet of wood...

I do have a full set of side enclosures & doors and I have to say that transfers most of the leaking to the windshield rubber, so they keep you dry from the shins up which is nice lol

Hi earlymb,

I well remember one year ( well it was on my mind at the time ) when I was driving the Jeep screen down in freezing fog, the wet fog was freezing to anything it touched so having the screen up wouldn't have helped, I had to pull over and pull a sheet of ice off my forehead  :lol: . . . . still fun thinking of it now, didn't like the bar-treads on the iced up road though.  !!!!!!