Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Jeep image from Jeeping friend . . . . . . 

Yesterday I received the image below with the following message . . . . . . . 

Ken, My Jeep on Remembrance Day at the memorial we built in 2006 at Sawbridgeworth airfield .

Yes I know the top is up, sorry. 🤭

p.s. before you ask about the partial white sign seen in the Jeep, it's on the fence and says ' Shut the gate ' . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_f1f6.jpeg.337ebead961d7c8c1b415d283bc5e820.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 15  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy

Todays image found on FaceFart ( FaceBook to users )  . . . . . . . . .

Nigel Hay ( Milweb fame ) just sent me this image he captured on FaceBook today . . . . . .  Jane ( Angela ) added comment. !!

.fullsizeoutput_f1f3.jpeg.31b0923c4f147079e101d283ff306849.jpeg

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Nigel Hay ( Milweb fame ) just sent me this image he captured on FaceBook today . . . . . .  Jane ( Angela ) added comment. !!

:lol:

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

"FaceFart"!   HA!  Gotta remember that one!  

Mikie

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie, 

Could be true, two 44, a 43, and a 41 ( slate grille ) please . . . . . . . . . . . . .

:P

Johan Willaert
7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

I heard stories from American veterans that any watches they had been issued had to be turned in at the end of the war, and in most cases were destroyed, when the returning servicemen went home they had to buy new watches thereby reviving the American watch industry.  

Same applied to photo cameras.... Military issued cameras had to be turned in to be destroyed... So new ones could come on the market

Johan Willaert
17 hours ago, General Apathy said:

If you want an original M36 musette pack then any marked ' Hausmann Mfg. 1942 ' are reproductions made for Band of Brothers, however if you want a musette from the production then look for a ' Hausmann Mfg. 1942 ' example . . . . . . . . . . . .

The markings refer to Alan Hausmann, who was the main webbing equipment guy for BoB.... He was also very involved in Saving Private Ryan.
Alan used to re-enact the American GI with the 29th Division Historical Association with Steve West, John Rowe, Chris Greenaway and many others, long before it became a fashion show...

Together they worked on a great book which came out approx the same time Ken's Doughboy to GI was published.
The group posed in original uniforms in historical settings thus showing which uniform was worn how and when...

Book is available from Amazon and most likley others too 
https://www.amazon.com/World-War-II-GI-Photographs/dp/0879388323

51lq7QRpYUL.jpg

21 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Alan Hausmann's riding shotgun in the Jeep in this photo taken at the Beltring War&Peace Show manyyyyy years ago

29HistGroup-Beltring (1).JPG

Great Picture!

..Kat

General Apathy

You couldn't make it up . . . . . . . . . .

Hahhaaaa,  on Monday I visited a Jeeping friend for an afternoon coffee, during the coffee he started to relate that I wouldn't believe his next story when he told it to me . . . . . . . the topic had started with my recent speeding offence.  !!!!

So their house is the last house on a blacktop road, after his house it becomes a farmers dirt track and meanders off into the open countryside, the police set up a speed trap the previous week and caught three tractors during the week exceeding 20KPH along the track.  :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_f1fa.jpeg.57bfcb4c6f3f80fb77d2884c17f5f65a.jpeg

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

You couldn't make it up . . . . . . . . . .

Hahhaaaa,  on Monday I visited a Jeeping friend for an afternoon coffee, during the coffee he started to relate that I wouldn't believe his next story when he told it to me . . . . . . . the topic had started with my recent speeding offence.  !!!!

So their house is the last house on a blacktop road, after his house it becomes a farmers dirt track and meanders off into the open countryside, the police set up a speed trap the previous week and caught three tractors during the week exceeding 20KPH along the track.  :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_f1fa.jpeg.57bfcb4c6f3f80fb77d2884c17f5f65a.jpeg

Now this is funny. I can just see a policeman handing a ticket to a tractor driving down the road. 

...Kat

That's crazy! I guess France is in dire straits when it comes to speed traps for tractors! Where we live, tractors and large combines and large sprayers go on the roads all the time. And not just farm dirt roads . . . they go on township roads, county roads, and even State roads! Everything but the Interstates. Couldn't farm if they didn't!

General Apathy
30 minutes ago, cutiger83 said:

Now this is funny. I can just see a policeman handing a ticket to a tractor driving down the road. 

...Kat

Hi Kat,

I have no idea why they would make this farm track a 20KPH limit, there are no houses, no pedestrians, no schools, very bizarre.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 16  2021.

General Apathy
8 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

That's crazy! I guess France is in dire straits when it comes to speed traps for tractors! Where we live, tractors and large combines and large sprayers go on the roads all the time. And not just farm dirt roads . . . they go on township roads, county roads, and even State roads! Everything but the Interstates. Couldn't farm if they didn't!

It's bizarre on a dirt track,  yes French farmers over here with their tractors can do all the same things that you mention, they are even allowed onto the auto-routes which have speed limits of 110 KPH, if they weren't then they wouldn't be able to farm.  A lot of French farms have lots of separate pieces of land all over the place, very few have just one major plot, all to do with divided family inheritances.

General Apathy
6 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

The markings refer to Alan Hausmann, who was the main webbing equipment guy for BoB.... He was also very involved in Saving Private Ryan.

Alan used to re-enact the American GI with the 29th Division Historical Association with Steve West, John Rowe, Chris Greenaway and many others, long before it became a fashion show...

Hi Johan.

Here's a shot I took of Alan Hausmann ( webbing department ) on site at Band of Brothers in 1997.

.fullsizeoutput_f238.jpeg.a742fa4e184773374b2be81fbce5753c.jpeg

38 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

"Speed trap for tractors"  Ha!  That's a funny thought.  The town must have had a financial shortfall and needed to make up the budget.  

Mikie

20 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Yes I know the top is up, sorry. 🤭

A jeep is one of the few vehicles that looks nice with top up or down, but the practical use is a about zero... only good for keeping the strip between the seats dry if there is any wind 🤣