Norman D. Landing

bilko1

You should show some of the bunker photos to Gary Stearne at Mai's Batterie,  or do you know him?  What a cute little elf!  And birthday no. 1 coming up!  

Oh,  Colin MacMillian usually stays at his friend's place in Bayeux.  Stew Bryant and I went out and did a cruise with him on the Colonel Rudder at the 60th Anniversary from Grandcamp.  

Beautiful knives!  The captain I drove for gave me a Randall Attack knife when he went back to 7th Special Forces.

tim

16 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Christmas approaches . . . . . . . . . a reminder !!

.fullsizeoutput_f0de.jpeg.8cb2cd56a610b3d7b5c31e955ff2a245.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 13  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Awwwww... Cute Little Elf!

Johan Willaert
47 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Johan, I would offer you this advice below and advise you to start labelling things  . . . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_f0f4.jpeg.a256290f683a7ecc6b7ab27c2cefb76d.jpeg

I know what you mean, Ken.... but arrangements have been made should something happen to me and the collection needs to be moved...

Nice knives there.... I never had an LF&C made M1917 knife, but do have the M1918 model made by LF&C...

A bit rough but a veteran of the ETO...

M1918-LF&C (4).JPG

General Apathy
3 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

I know what you mean, Ken.... but arrangements have been made should something happen to me and the collection needs to be moved...

Nice knives there.... I never had an LF&C made M1917 knife, but do have the M1918 model made by LF&C...

A bit rough but a veteran of the ETO...

M1918-LF&C (4).JPG

Hi Johan,

Nice knife, maybe your blade is a little cleaner than mine was, a message to all owners out there which was highlighted during my auction is NEVER polish the brass handles . . . . . . .  sadly too many have had that done over the years, the patina is gone.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy
2 minutes ago, numbersix said:

I apologise for the intrusion; my intention was not at all negative. 

Hi numbersix.

Not an intrusion at all,  I always appreciate some input, photo's, correction, discussion, historical details, I at least see that there's more than four of us participating in the thread. 

3 hours ago, mikie said:

Welcome back Johan.  Hope you had a good trip.

I was caught up in the controversies about those M1917 knives a few years ago. 

Here is my Dad's LF&C M1917 version for comparison.  He was issued it in 1940 when he joined the New York National Guard.  Sometime in 1942, he was told that they were declared illegal due to the triangular blade and were supposed to turn them in.  Dad sent his home instead and I am it's current custodian.   I was told somewhat forcefully a while ago that the blades were NOT illegal. Also told that this is a debunked myth.  Perhaps it is?  But that is the story Dad said he was told by his superiors at the time, so I'm sticking with it.  The fact that you found a photo of one being carried in 1944 is very interesting. 

Mikie

M1917 Knife.jpg

Mikie,

No telling how messages are lost in translation during the war.  Could have been one officer who outlawed the weapon but not a company wide thing. Or could have been they wanted them turned in so they could have it themselves. 😁. I would believe your father over anyone else.

...Kat

On 12/12/2021 at 12:20 PM, General Apathy said:

repairing bent ' lugs ' on my PSP  Planks . . . . . . . 

I started today on reshaping the side lugs on the sheets of PSP matting I bought on Friday, I started with a metre long steel bar and slotted the end to fit over the lugs and twist back into line.  Worked ok on the first sheet but then noticed that the slot at the end of the bar was beginning to widen so I had to weld two strengthening pieces one either side, working well again and with very little effort using the length of the bar similar to a fulcrum. 

.fullsizeoutput_ef2d.jpeg.e49cde45921fe304c77f407da29af914.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_f070.jpeg.5bf8ebad7a047073e18bdca92ff14211.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_f06a.jpeg.cfca0a861f70e3e036f98dc4b3c734d4.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 12  2021.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

...Kat

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan & Mikie.

Johan,  great photo, sadly the AC. Co. model you have, I never managed to find one during my collecting blitz days.

Mikie, Very nice father and son connection to your knife, very poignant treasure for you.

I did have two examples, one in original scabbard and one in a leather replacement scabbard, sold along with all my other knives in my 2018 auction, some of them shown here. 

Johan, I would offer you this advice below and advise you to start labelling things  . . . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_f0eb.jpeg.815cfaf90ce51cf516b4a955e737c5d9.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_f0f2.jpeg.226e42621270f7caebd1d5c103221da9.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_f0f4.jpeg.a256290f683a7ecc6b7ab27c2cefb76d.jpeg

Knives are a mine field that I do not want to even attempt!  An expensive mine field too!!

...Kat

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Christmas approaches . . . . . . . . . a reminder !!

.fullsizeoutput_f0de.jpeg.8cb2cd56a610b3d7b5c31e955ff2a245.jpeg

Too cute! I think I see you wrapped right around that little finger!

...Kat

General Apathy
57 minutes ago, cutiger83 said:

This is by far my favorite thread on the forum. 

...Kat

Hi Kat.

I get images of you reading up on military history . . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_ecef.jpeg.7e569105df2dbeca46ee059882a55bb3.jpeg

1 minute ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat.

This is one where I wish we had a laughing button!

....Kat

29 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat.

No laugh button,  but there are laugh emoji thingees.  😹 :lol:

Hope it's ok if I steal that picture to pass on to my history and cat-loving buddies. 

Mikie

General Apathy
33 minutes ago, mikie said:

No laugh button,  but there are laugh emoji thingees.  😹 :lol:

Hope it's ok if I steal that picture to pass on to my history and cat-loving buddies. 

Mikie

Hi Kat & Mikie.

That should have been a short twenty seconds video clip of the cat moving pages, lets try again, hopefully got it this time :lol:

General Apathy

Post war Jeep sales . . . . . . 

I just love the post war rough and readiness of this image the battered old ex-army truck towing away three ex-British army Jeeps for resale to the public. Being British used Jeeps there should probably be a brass plaque somewhere on the Jeep recording the army numbers seen above the front bumper, be great if the owner of one of those three Jeeps got to see this image.

When I was about eighteen I found one of these break-down trucks at the rear of a garage, at the time I considered buying it for a restoration, but more interesting ex-military trucks came along, I hope someone saved it.  

.fullsizeoutput_f10a.jpeg.f56faddceff446c8436c270814da4583.jpeg

11 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat & Mikie.

That should have been a short twenty seconds video clip of the cat moving pages, lets try again, hopefully got it this time :lol:

I pity the dog... :)

11 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Post war Jeep sales . . . . . . 

I just love the post war rough and readiness of this image the battered old ex-army truck towing away three ex-British army Jeeps for resale to the public. Being British used Jeeps there should probably be a brass plaque somewhere on the Jeep recording the army numbers seen above the front bumper, be great if the owner of one of those three Jeeps got to see this image.

When I was about eighteen I found one of these break-down trucks at the rear of a garage, at the time I considered buying it for a restoration, but more interesting ex-military trucks came along, I hope someone saved it.  

.fullsizeoutput_f10a.jpeg.f56faddceff446c8436c270814da4583.jpeg

Notice the Bedford OY lurking in the background... also a veteran.

General Apathy
5 hours ago, earlymb said:

Notice the Bedford OY lurking in the background... also a veteran.

Hi earlymb.

Notice this one NOT lurking in the background, Woolfendens hauling away another four Jeeps from post war auctions. Note the lot numbers on the windscreens, being auctioned in pairs or groups not singularly.  Various friends fathers relate stories of buying vehicles at the auctions and all that was within the vehicles, one friends father bought a truck and it was full of motorcycles in the rear, he sold all the motorcycles except one which he kept for free along with the truck. 

.fullsizeoutput_f12e.jpeg.6b20c740cf7a01813061f671dbea7262.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 14  2021.

General Apathy

Now jumping to memories of film-work on Band of Brothers . . . . . . . .

If you want an original M36 musette pack then any marked ' Hausmann Mfg. 1942 ' are reproductions made for Band of Brothers, however if you want a musette from the production then look for a ' Hausmann Mfg. 1942 ' example . . . . . . . . . . . .

They were not all marked with the Band of Brothers studio stamps. 

.fullsizeoutput_f188.jpeg.0da927f4c58aefce90888f0c27a050d2.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_f189.jpeg.16e5b20fa221b58aeaccb94c6017a85b.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 15  2021.

I will keep my eyes peeled for those markings.

An old musette bag is one of the first bits of military equipment I can remember using when I was a kid.  It wasn't a collectible in those days.  

Mikie

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi earlymb.

Notice this one NOT lurking in the background, Woolfendens hauling away another four Jeeps from post war auctions. Note the lot numbers on the windscreens, being auctioned in pairs or groups not singularly.  Various friends fathers relate stories of buying vehicles at the auctions and all that was within the vehicles, one friends father bought a truck and it was full of motorcycles in the rear, he sold all the motorcycles except one which he kept for free along with the truck. 

.fullsizeoutput_f12e.jpeg.6b20c740cf7a01813061f671dbea7262.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 14  2021.

Interesting.  Wonder if they sold them in groups just to get rid of them?  With 6 you get eggroll?

Mikie

General Apathy
9 hours ago, mikie said:

Interesting.  Wonder if they sold them in groups just to get rid of them?  With 6 you get eggroll?

Mikie

Hi Mikie.

I believe it was a post war idea to get the economy moving again, any surviving garages hadn't had any cars to sell for five or six years so they got first dibs on the auction sales in groups and then sold individually to the public. Mostly going to commercial sales, farmers used Jeeps as cheep replacements for broken tractors, farmers and builders used the trucks for moving food stocks or building materials.

I heard stories from American veterans that any watches they had been issued had to be turned in at the end of the war, and in most cases were destroyed, when the returning servicemen went home they had to buy new watches thereby reviving the American watch industry.  

General Apathy
9 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie

Hi Mikie, 

Could be true, two 44, a 43, and a 41 ( slate grille ) please . . . . . . . . . . . . .