Norman D. Landing

bilko1

turns out that two of the Gendarmes are WWII collectors as well, so after ten minutes of trying to decide who gets first dibs on it as I found it, but they are the face of the government and a greater power we called it quits gave it to the army and retired to the coffee shop for a chat. :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 12 2010[/font]

Ken,

This statement made me laugh out loud. I can see y'all standing around talking about all sorts of stuff that men talk about then say "the heck with it...let's have a drink"...This time it was coffee though because it was before lunch ;)

.....Kat

General Apathy
Ken,

This statement made me laugh out loud. I can see y'all standing around talking about all sorts of stuff that men talk about then say "the heck with it...let's have a drink"...This time it was coffee though because it was before lunch ;)

.....Kat

Hi Kat, ' Before lunch ' had nothing to do with it, I couldn't be seen to be bribing an officer of the law with alcohol now could I. :think:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 12 2010

Ken..do the French operate a Listed Building policy like we do here in the UK? (For our American readers, listed building status is bestowed upon architecturally or historically significant buildings by the UK government. This is designed to preserve them...they cannot be demolished or altered in any way without approval from above) If so, the bunker would be considered an historic building. A bit of a dilemma for the French authorities given its proximity to an unexpoded bomb!

Ian :think:

Johan Willaert
That's so crazy that stuff is still being found! Amazing to think what's still buried

Whole of Europe is liitered with things that go bang... In the Flanders' Fields region, about 200 Tons of UXO is being unearthed every year...

True, you see a lot of those "bad boys" laying on the side of a field, ready to be picked up by the Ordnance unit (or a crazy tourist ... whoever gets there first).

Erwin

Ken..can you ensure the bomb has been detonated BEFORE I arrive please? I'd hate to find that the beach was declared "out-of-bounds"!

Ian ;)

Ken..can you ensure the bomb has been detonated BEFORE I arrive please? I'd hate to find that the beach was declared "out-of-bounds"!

Ian ;)

Ian,

Would you suggest that he use a stethoscope, or a hammer? :think: :w00t:

Hi Tomas, quite an explosive find, pleased to share it with forum members, look forward to going back in the next few days see if there's a large crater there.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 12 2010

Hey Ken,

Thanks for the reply

Your very sharp for spotting that 500lb just lying there just like that in the sand

after all those years and no one found it Truely amazing discovery you found just like that :thumbsup: .

Regards: Tomas

General Apathy
Did they have your book??? :lol:

Hi Johan, I am just pleased that they didn't ' book ' me for speeding through the radar on the way there. :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 14 2010

General Apathy
That's so crazy that stuff is still being found! Amazing to think what's still buried

Hi Blake, five days ago there was a report on the BBC news that they have built the new olympic stadium in London over a wartime German bomb, they never found it at the depths that they have gone to so they have ' let sleeping dogs lay '.

Then a friend an hour away from where I live said that said that they found a 500 lb bomb during road works near where he lives, as Johan has said Europes awash with the stuff.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 13 2010

General Apathy
True, you see a lot of those "bad boys" laying on the side of a field, ready to be picked up by the Ordnance unit (or a crazy tourist ... whoever gets there first).

Erwin

As Johan & Erwin state, Belgium has weekly piles of this stuff at the edges of the plowed fields, the farmers stack it up as it appears and the demo squad come along and take it away for disposal.

ken

Ian,

Would you suggest that he use a stethoscope, or a hammer? :think: :w00t:

I thought every smart bunny knew that a hammer was the only way to test these things!

post-203-1287002100.jpg

General Apathy

Ian ;)

Hi Ian, I have to be near a pnone in the morning as the demo squad are going to call me to show them the way there, so if they do blow it I will get to hear it and maybe see it, but for all those hoping that I will be close when it goes, i am pleased to say I intend to be some distance away. :bye1:

ken

General Apathy
Hey Ken,

Thanks for the reply

Your very sharp for spotting that 500lb just lying there just like that in the sand

after all those years and no one found it Truely amazing discovery you found just like that :thumbsup: .

Regards: Tomas

Hi Tomas, thanks, but I can't lay claim to being the one to find this I wouldn't have gone to the beach yesterday if my neighbour Tony out walking his dog hadn't informed me it was worth going down there.

ken

General Apathy
I thought every smart bunny knew that a hammer was the only way to test these things!

post-203-1287002100.jpg

Hi Beast, gee thanks doc ! ! is that wishful thinking on your part :lol:

ken

Hi Tomas, thanks, but I can't lay claim to being the one to find this I wouldn't have gone to the beach yesterday if my neighbour Tony out walking his dog hadn't informed me it was worth going down there.

ken

Hey Ken.

That was well worth going down for a walk along the beach front with the dog's and comming

across an amazing find like that its not every day you find one of those there or is it maybe i'm not sure i don't know ? :) .

Best Regards: Tomás

General Apathy
Hey Ken.

That was well worth going down for a walk along the beach front with the dog's and comming

across an amazing find like that its not every day you find one of those there or is it maybe i'm not sure i don't know ? :) .

Best Regards: Tomás

Hi Tomas, well lets wait and see what tomorrow brings when it is being dealt with.

ken

Brian Dentino

Ken,

At least you found IT before it found YOU. It would have made a rather unpleasant end to your walk had you "stumbled" across such an artifact as this! :w00t: Nothing like "minding your own business, enjoying the nice breeze on a pleasant fall morning............then, well, you know the rest!"

General Apathy
Ken,

At least you found IT before it found YOU. It would have made a rather unpleasant end to your walk had you "stumbled" across such an artifact as this! :w00t: Nothing like "minding your own business, enjoying the nice breeze on a pleasant fall morning............then, well, you know the rest!"

Hi Brian, if you don't tinker with this stuff then there is not a lot to worry about I think, I have seen the results of some people messing with stuff arms and legs missing etc, and I have heard of the fatalities.

I can't recall if I mentioned it or not but a couple of months ago some ex French army guy was in the sand dunes and found himself stood over a mine, he used his cell phone to call the gendarmes and it took two hours before they said the area was safe to move out of.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 14 2010