Norman D. Landing

bilko1

post-344-1285875924.jpg

Cont .........................

Top left a large piece of shrapnel, centre left a cable eyelet we believe to be German, bottom left American cable eyelet used on M-8's and other armor, square plate possible German hinged door off small lightly armored vehicle,

and the top right possibly remains of a mortar shell. :think:

Nothing much pretty average day really :unsure:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 30 2010

Average?? Oh yeh, this happens to me all the time!!! ;) Have the beaches given up any more "treasure" recently??

All the best.

Rob

Spent some part of today helping to clean out a friends barn and his farmyard, attached photo shows a shell case about five inches across the base plate.

Ken,

Is this a live round? Did you have to call someone?

....Kat

PS..If this is your average day, what is a not so average day like? :w00t:

General Apathy

post-344-1285879179.jpg

Average?? Oh yeh, this happens to me all the time!!! ;) Have the beaches given up any more "treasure" recently??

All the best.

Rob

Hi Rob, this was junk laying around a farmyard, I don't forage the beach now as it created a lot of bad vibes some six months ago from a couple of people here on the forum.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 30 2010.

Ken...did you seek planning permission for that extension? (You may not be aware that the old "window tax" has long since abolished so you obviously cut a few corners needlessly) I hear that pastel pink is "de rigeur" for country cottages this year.

Ian ;)

General Apathy

post-344-1285880186.jpg

Ken,

Is this a live round? Did you have to call someone?

....Kat

PS..If this is your average day, what is a not so average day like? :w00t:

Hi Kat, no nothing close to live it's just the empty case the head was fired off way back in the war, your actually seeing the best side of the case the side on the soil was rotted out completey where it had been laying for 65 years.

Not so average day, :think: well you know sort of not so average, looking in the shoebox I suppose :lol:

ken

General Apathy
post-344-1285879179.jpg

ken

Ken...did you seek planning permission for that extension? (You may not be aware that the old "window tax" has long since abolished so you obviously cut a few corners needlessly) I hear that pastel pink is "de rigeur" for country cottages this year.

Ian

Ian, no windows, a simple idea you never know when it's raining outside. :lol:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1285880893.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers

found this very interesting U.S. historical report on the history of Marsden matting, it also states they tested wooden matting and bitumen rolls. I found the following piece of text that relates that original matting was too heavy and then they punched the holes, so the piece I found this week in the antiques brocante could well be an experimental piece ?? :think: ;)

Take a look at the attached link for the matting, in one of the photo's of a GMC the rear wheels have been replaced with fighter wheels to lower the rear bed of the truck.

" The initial steel plank design underwent many modifications.

Testing revealed that the original mats weighed too much.

Consequently, machines pressed holes into the steel mat sections

to reduce weight, improve aircraft traction, and facilitate drainage.

Flanging the holes kept the mat durable ............................."

http://140.194.76.129/publications/eng-pam...-1-42/c-3-4.pdf

ken

Hehe cool! the bunker in post #1803 was used in 2004 by our group to make a little film. It was a funny night, throwing handgrenades in the doorway, placing communication wire...all non realistic but it was so much fun! Ahh the good old days...

General Apathy
Hehe cool! the bunker in post #1803 was used in 2004 by our group to make a little film.

Hi Easyred, this particular bunker must be one of, if not the most recognizable bunkers in Normandy due to the steps on the front entrance.

Summers over, now it's countdown to Christmas 85 days :blink:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 1 2010.

Yep its a beauty , its not too far away from camping Utah Beach where we stayed back then.

We made a picture " A la Band of brothers style " on the dune at its right side, sadly i lost it .

General Apathy

post-344-1286137777.jpg

Hi Forum Members and Readers.

Busy for the next two days, lot's of paperwork to run through, can't be happy all the time. :lol:

Car seen running around Normandy.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 3 2010.

post-344-1286137777.jpg

Hi Forum Members and Readers.

Busy for the next two days, lot's of paperwork to run through, can't be happy all the time. :lol:

Car seen running around Normandy.

ken

Hi Ken..what a wonderful tribute! It's heartwarming to know that some people still keep those memories alive.

Ian :thumbsup:

General Apathy
Hi Ken..what a wonderful tribute! It's heartwarming to know that some people still keep those memories alive.

Ian :thumbsup:

Hi Ian, it's in this weeks newspaper that the mayor of Arromanches in the British sector is planning on offering financial assistance to British veterans that landed on the town's beaches to attend next years anniversary landings. I will be sending a letter of thanks to the mayor, the council and the town. :thumbsup:

The British government have stated that the next offer of assistance from them will be for the 100th anniversaries which is in 44 years time, tight bar-stewards

ken

Hi Ian, it's in this weeks newspaper that the mayor of Arromanches in the British sector is planning on offering financial assistance to British veterans that landed on the town's beaches to attend next years anniversary landings. I will be sending a letter of thanks to the mayor, the council and the town. :thumbsup:

The British government have stated that the next offer of assistance from them will be for the 100th anniversaries which is in 44 years time, tight bar-stewards

ken

Vive la France...and hang your heads in shame H.M. Government! :thumbdown:

Ian

ken

Yah...I'm sure there will be lots of vets lining up to take advantage of that offer. Oh wait, pretty much all of them will be dead by then. Cheap buggers, although my government is just as sad when it comes to vets. One chap lobbied long and hard for benefits he was previously owed...took him forever to convince Veterans Affairs he was rightly entitled to them...Veterans Affairs gave in and sent him the money, but he had passed away 2 weeks prior to the cheque being put in the mail...the VA then launched legal action to claw the money back from the estate. Bunch of lousy bureaucrats! Can you say L-O-S-E-R-S!

General Apathy
Yah...I'm sure there will be lots of vets lining up to take advantage of that offer. Oh wait, pretty much all of them will be dead by then. Cheap buggers, although my government is just as sad when it comes to vets. One chap lobbied long and hard for benefits he was previously owed...took him forever to convince Veterans Affairs he was rightly entitled to them...Veterans Affairs gave in and sent him the money, but he had passed away 2 weeks prior to the cheque being put in the mail...the VA then launched legal action to claw the money back from the estate. Bunch of lousy bureaucrats! Can you say L-O-S-E-R-S!

Hi David, it's certainly a much different world today than when and for what these veterans fought for, a great pity that for many to see what has occurred within their lifetime. :crying:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 5 2010.

General Apathy

post-344-1286307931.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers,

I returned into Cherbourg harbor this morning from an overnight visit to England, I took a few photographs of the demolished bunker system on the end of the outer harbor mole wall.

Unable to actual get out close to the bunkers only by passing ferry or small private boat then these are the best I could achieve. This first photo is from the seaward side of the mole, I am uncertain if all the damage was done with naval shellfire or explosives after capture.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1286308180.jpg

Cont .................

This is the side view at the end of the mole, in line with the mole wall.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1286308483.jpg

Cont .................

This is the rear view in which it is possible to see the original Napoleonic fort base and muzzle loaded cannon arches. On top of which the Germans poured several feet of reinforced concrete both above the arches and at the sides.

ken

General Apathy

Cont .................

Oh, I forgot to add while waiting two days ago to board the ferry for England to visit my daughter a cameraman appeared at the check-in along with the directors of the port service. I figured that there must have been some dignitary or such coming in on the arriving ferry.

However this is where I got caught up with this weekends heightened terrorist alert, as I was first passenger through passport control then I was photographed for the local newspaper arms outstretched and being body scanned by a guard with metal detector wand. :crying: :lol:

I hope that none of my friends here get their dirty little mitts on the photograph and post it on their facebook with ' Danger terrorist apprehended ' :pinch: :lol:

ken

hbtcoveralls

Profiling we call it over here. Seems that terrorists are often lecherous old Englishmen and grey haired old grannies. I'm often amazed at what little "passport control" there is between England and the continent, but maybe that's changing. Good thing you didn't tell them about the shoebox under the bed!

Tom Bowers

Johan Willaert

Profiling is exactly what made border crossing during the Beltring trip so memorable for our member Bart P last summer.... :lol:

There isn't that much passport control because we're all members of the European Union which has free movement of people and goods...

Pretty much like travelling between one US state and another...

Johan

General Apathy
Profiling we call it over here. Seems that terrorists are often lecherous old Englishmen and grey haired old grannies. I'm often amazed at what little "passport control" there is between England and the continent, but maybe that's changing. Good thing you didn't tell them about the shoebox under the bed!

Tom Bowers

Good job I'm Continental now I wouldn't want to be profiled as a lecherous old Englishmen or even a grey haired old granny :think:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 5 2010

Hello Johan,

"There isn't that much passport control because we're all members of the European Union which has free movement of people and goods...

Pretty much like travelling between one US state and another..."

Can someone tell that to the German Police at the Munich Airport for me?