Jump to content

Norman D. Landing


bilko1

Recommended Posts

On 12/26/2020 at 1:31 AM, General Apathy said:

.

Normandy now . . . . . . . . . . 

 

this week I was clearing dead leaves out of guttering on my girlfriends barns, while on the ladder I noticed many bullet holes around upper level apertures which had possibly been used as sniper holes.  Janes farm had been used as a German ammunition depot during the war and once captured became an American depot.

 

Most of the stone used on Normandy building is quite a soft sandstone which is easy for bullets to penetrate.

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 26  2020.  

 

.fullsizeoutput_8159.jpeg.d1296583b3b202b2bece2e3afc371cb8.jpeg

 

.IMG_5880.JPG.9249b3bfd30eb319d43705bfd584ede1.JPG

 

.IMG_5882.JPG.87348aad0b4e5b61c624adb157153c29.JPG

That's fascinating. I guess the bullets disintegrated or rusted away long ago. It would be cool if there were some still in some of those holes. I took a close look at some of the bullet holes in buildings in Manila, but there was no sign of the bullets. But those walls were made of granite, I think. No matter, though. A petrified moment in time.

Mikie

Link to post
Share on other sites
Johan Willaert
7 hours ago, General Apathy said:that's a beautiful new unissued Hawley liner hanging on the Jeep windscreen, wouldn't everyone love one in this condition.  :lol:


of course we do....

871C815B-C136-4783-AE69-A719871CFCF3.jpeg

03BCF64B-AD3E-468E-B34C-982D6448028D.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
14 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:


of course we do....

871C815B-C136-4783-AE69-A719871CFCF3.jpeg

03BCF64B-AD3E-468E-B34C-982D6448028D.jpeg

.

Hi Johan,  nice liner do you have the sweat and nape bands for it . . . . . ??:excl:

 

Hawley and even low-pressure liners with rayon webbing are very desirable amongst helmet collectors . . . . . . ^_^

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 29  2020.

 

.post-344-1279961852.jpg.ab544ff98459adf577633a40672fee0a.jpg

 

.post-344-0-52506600-1518261382.jpg.247768d28302d57cfa3985367bea37dc.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
20 hours ago, mikie said:

That's fascinating. I guess the bullets disintegrated or rusted away long ago. It would be cool if there were some still in some of those holes. I took a close look at some of the bullet holes in buildings in Manila, but there was no sign of the bullets. But those walls were made of granite, I think. No matter, though. A petrified moment in time.

Mikie

.

Hi Mikie,  I spent a couple of hours this morning over at Janes farm with a metal detector and there were blips all over the place.  It was quite cold and wet so I chose one of the loudest pings and had a dig there, turned out to be a piece of discarded rainwater down-pipe.  I will have another scout around once the temperature gets above -1 again. :lol:

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 30  2020.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
20 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Ken, I had the same Hawley reaction when I saw this picture for the first time. It's a strange affliction..........😄

 

12998282_880425402080937_7106874921796627944_o.jpg.47aa6d9fef7f856455598a83ba84deee.jpg

 

 

.

Hi Rene,  Great shot Ford GPW, Hawley liner, Marine uniform, and a trio of War-Bond artists, amazing how contemporary the building looks like in the background.

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 30  2020.

 

.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Mikie,  I spent a couple of hours this morning over at Janes farm with a metal detector and there were blips all over the place.  It was quite cold and wet so I chose one of the loudest pings and had a dig there, turned out to be a piece of discarded rainwater down-pipe.  I will have another scout around once the temperature gets above -1 again. :lol:

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 30  2020.

 

 

Wow! Great find! A rare Normandy-dug German rainwater pipe! If it has bullet holes, you could sell it and retire. Again!

 

Hopefully that -1 is a centigrade reading. 

Mikie

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Ken, I had the same Hawley reaction when I saw this picture for the first time. It's a strange affliction..........😄

 

12998282_880425402080937_7106874921796627944_o.jpg.47aa6d9fef7f856455598a83ba84deee.jpg

 

 

Not sure about how good it is to be the king, but looks like being Groucho isn't too shabby. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
On 12/29/2020 at 3:07 PM, General Apathy said:

.

Hahhaaaa time to move on or this one will keep rolling . . . . . . . . . . . . 

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 29  2020.

 

.fullsizeoutput_8146.jpeg.8b2f070d55374888bb286d52bb596b81.jpeg

 

 

 

.

Well I had thought that it would have been good to call it a day on being unable to resolve the mystery of it being a man or a woman.

 

That was until in a completely unconnected look through other WWII images I found these two photographs, two women POW's in full field uniforms including trousers. The blonde woman is wearing a mans jacket with similar shoulder loops to the ones seen in the image of the dead person.  Difficult to make a choice of man or woman in a quick firefight if she had her hair covered with a cap !!!

 

Two of the women have Luftwaffe insignia on their chests  

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 30  2020.

 

.fullsizeoutput_814a.jpeg.eb167f5db36207e007e22ceeddba1714.jpeg

 

.4de3a20bccf8c59fa7b5aa2e991c7c93.jpg.152c36e563e8d848eeea1219c1ffef19.jpg

 

.ESlIxbxWkAAduDq.jpg.c8bc53e3d194a0d60f61ff1c81afa245.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

.

Well I had thought that it would have been good to call it a day on being unable to resolve the mystery of it being a man or a woman.

 

That was until in a completely unconnected look through other WWII images I found these two photographs, two women POW's in full field uniforms including trousers. The blonde woman is wearing a mans jacket with similar shoulder loops to the ones seen in the image of the dead person.  Difficult to make a choice of man or woman in a quick firefight if she had her hair covered with a cap !!!

 

Two of the women have Luftwaffe insignia on their chests  

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 30  2020.

 

.fullsizeoutput_814a.jpeg.eb167f5db36207e007e22ceeddba1714.jpeg

 

.4de3a20bccf8c59fa7b5aa2e991c7c93.jpg.152c36e563e8d848eeea1219c1ffef19.jpg

 

.ESlIxbxWkAAduDq.jpg.c8bc53e3d194a0d60f61ff1c81afa245.jpg

The plot thickens.....the last photo was used in Stars and Stripes.

 

SAM_8512.JPG.7b616aa7731bd6a56a0de335a73bb1c0.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
15 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

The plot thickens.....the last photo was used in Stars and Stripes.

 

SAM_8512.JPG.7b616aa7731bd6a56a0de335a73bb1c0.JPG

.

Hi Rene,  thanks for adding the same image from the Stars & Stripes paper.  The writer saw fit to make use of a photo of women in uniform but doesn't distinguish that two of the uniforms are mens variations, button left to right, and the woman in the skirt has a female jacket that buttons right to left . . . . . . .

 

Perhaps the same applied in the photo of the dead soldier in the Arnhem photos, would they have made comment that women had been shot during the Arnhem campaign, not really good news story to read women had been treated that way.  

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 30  2020.

 

.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
24 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

Ken and Johan, thanks for showing some mouthwatering Hawleys.

 

Rene

.

Hi Rene, Hawleys a pleasure to share liners with you . . . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

 

Apologies for all the shadows I just had to shoot this one in artificial light . . . . . . . . .  :mellow:

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 30  2020.

 

.fullsizeoutput_824e.jpeg.873d9f6ddba3c4a9989ebd5c806638d0.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
7 hours ago, mikie said:

Not sure about how good it is to be the king, but looks like being Groucho isn't too shabby. 

.

Hi Mikie,  nothing to be a Grouch about, wouldn't we both love to be sat where he was sat at the time . . . . .  . and in a NEW Jeep !!

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 30  2020.

 

.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Johan,  nice liner do you have the sweat and nape bands for it . . . . . ??:excl:

 

Hawley and even low-pressure liners with rayon webbing are very desirable amongst helmet collectors . . . . . . ^_^

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 29  2020.

 

.post-344-1279961852.jpg.ab544ff98459adf577633a40672fee0a.jpg

 

.post-344-0-52506600-1518261382.jpg.247768d28302d57cfa3985367bea37dc.jpg

Since we are all showing each other our Hawleys, here is mine.  hey, it's a Hawley! US Navy contract dated 1944.

Mikie

hawley Pith helmet (1).jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 8:02 AM, Dogsbody said:

Hi Ken, I had the same Hawley reaction when I saw this picture for the first time. It's a strange affliction..........😄

 

12998282_880425402080937_7106874921796627944_o.jpg.47aa6d9fef7f856455598a83ba84deee.jpg

 

 

i wonder if Groucho is wearing a Hawley here too?  

groucho Pith Helmet.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2020 at 1:41 PM, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Mikie,  well I am pleased that you wanted a Then & Now. 

 

Here's a NOW photo, this item came out the shoebox of Christmas decorations, it really is a THEN item ( 30 years ago ) which I'm sorry to say I don't have a shot of it to hand. 

 

can you guess what it is . . . . . . . . . . . always came out when a bunch of us got together for Christmas or Birthdays. 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 24  2020.

 

.fullsizeoutput_813d.jpeg.8130baac945641768752d5ab390f5abc.jpeg

 

Here are some bits of old 19th century ceramic beer bottles that this reminded me of. And a complete one.  I found the shards near the New Almaden Quicksilver Mines in southern San Jose.  You inspired me to go down there today.  I'll post some things about it later when I have some spare time

Mikie.  

Almaden Beer Bottles.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy
12 hours ago, mikie said:

Since we are all showing each other our Hawleys, here is mine.  hey, it's a Hawley! US Navy contract dated 1944.

Mikie

hawley Pith helmet (1).jpg

.

Hi Mikie, 

 

I can say from the bottom of my heart,  THANK-YOU for not copying the naked selfies that most young women are doing these days on various media sites . . . . . . . . . . Hope you and your family have a safe and great New Year, Thanks for all the contributions here. ;)

 

And I look forward in the new year to your photo report from the quicksilver mines you visited.

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 31  2020.

 

.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy

.

Well last day of the year that never was . . . . . . . . . . . :(

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 31  2020.

 

.fullsizeoutput_82bc.jpeg.4d1754e465bbfdca1d55b6607d45af21.jpeg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy New Year to all of you who make this thread the best one on the forum! It is the best place to go to get away from the craziness in the world!

 

...Kat

Link to post
Share on other sites

To everyone who participates in or reads this blog: have a smoke/drink (if you're inclined to do so) but most of all have a happy New Year!

 

SAM_0842.JPG.32df80f366eca43b0d2cf54404aa4af2.JPG

 

Rene

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Happy New Year to all of you who make this thread the best one on the forum! It is the best place to go to get away from the craziness in the world!

 

...Kat

Yeah! What Kat said!

Link to post
Share on other sites
General Apathy

.

Hi Everyone,  thank you for your messages of hope, health and wishes for 2021 . . . . . . . ^_^

 

Thanks to a Jeeping friend for the uncredited photo I received this morning. :lol:

 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 01  2020.

 

fullsizeoutput_82c3.jpeg.8f07392535e076b428c423013e1ac0b9.jpeg.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.