USMC DFC for Nicaragua

Shanghai Jack

Corpsmancollector
Final bid on the DFC, $9,279.89. WOW

My thoughts excactly.

That's great that the same buyer won all the medals, a hearty bravo to them! :salute:

Will

Same person won all the medals. My hat goes off to them. :bravo:

THANK GOD this lot didnt get split up. Thumbs down to the seller for breaking the medals up to begin with . :thumbdown:

Kurt

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Agreed !!

Generally I have a hard time with the concept of "check book" collectors but thankfully there was someone with the cahones (and bank roll) to keep this together !!

Hopefully the proud new custodian floats in and out of here and will post the group in its entirety for us to admire !?!

Fingers are crossed !!!

Vic

Garth Thompson
Presuming the winner also gets the Navy Cross, the final price will be $25,000+ for the items we know about. The question is, what else was in the chest (i.e. photographs, documents, uniforms, etc.)?

The total for all the medals on the auction is $13,500.00 not including the broken Russian St. Stanislas commander grade which probably was not the USMC pilots. I can't imagine the seller will charge $10K for the Navy Cross.

Garth

The total for all the medals on the auction is $13,500.00 not including the broken Russian St. Stanislas commander grade which probably was not the USMC pilots. I can't imagine the seller will charge $10K for the Navy Cross.

Garth

I agree, the DFC was worth much more than the NC in this case.

Kurt

However, per the seller. The DFC owner now has to outbid all the other offers he has had on the Navy Cross before it was pulled and since it was pulled. So to keep the group together, we may never know the final price.

As mentioned, hopefully he is a member and we can see this group.

4starchris

Garth Thompson
However, per the seller. The DFC owner now has to outbid all the other offers he has had on the Navy Cross before it was pulled and since it was pulled. So to keep the group together, we may never know the final price.

As mentioned, hopefully he is a member and we can see this group.

4starchris

The winning bidders nome de ebay is echo5romeo. That name doesn't show up on the members list.

Congratulations teufelhunden, hope you get the NC too! We will all be anxiously waiting to see how you put this fantiastic group together.

Well done sir! :salute:

Garth

The Saint Stanislas, I believe, belonged to the fellow in the diplomatic uniform in the photo/art portait. I'm thinking perhaps a relative?

I was trying to go for the dragon pin thingie because I thought it looked cool. No idea what it was though. Got outsniped at the end... :unsure:

The only thing I really wanted were the rockin' Navy cufflinks with the officer's emblem on the ship's wheel. Those were SUPER. Got outbid, probably because of the EGA's in the lot... :(

Dave

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

GREAT MEDALS ! :thumbsup:

Fantastic, historical grouping. Glad the winner was able to keep it together. I have another Nicaraguan USMC aviator's group with a Nic. Cross of Valor. It is an identical piece to this one, made by Hilborn & Hamburger (H&H). I assume the Nic. Government contracted with them for this medal. Wonder why? I have Nic. Medals of Merit and a Nic. Prsidential Gold medal, all to Marines, but clearly made locally. Anyone with more info? Thanks.........Semper Fi.......Bobgee

Fantastic, historical grouping. Glad the winner was able to keep it together. I have another Nicaraguan USMC aviator's group with a Nic. Cross of Valor. It is an identical piece to this one, made by Hilborn & Hamburger (H&H). I assume the Nic. Government contracted with them for this medal. Wonder why? I have Nic. Medals of Merit and a Nic. Prsidential Gold medal, all to Marines, but clearly made locally. Anyone with more info? Thanks.........Semper Fi.......Bobgee

Hi Bobgee. By locally do you mean Meyer, Vanguard? The one I have is a medal of merit by Meyer.

4starchris

• 4 months later...

Anyone know if the paperwork for this group, which surfaced and was listed on eBay a couple weeks ago, ended up going to the original winning bidder too???

I believe the auction seller said that he had been trying without success to contact the original winner / buyer of it all?

MW

• 8 months later...

I had the distinct honor of knowing General John S.E. Young following his retirement. I was married to one of his grand daughters. The General's daughter was married to a Marine Corps aviator Maj. Fred Murchall. Maj. Murchall flew bombers in WWII and Saber Jets in Korea. In fact, he flew the now famous raid on Inchon. The General was also an aviator who flew biplanes in the early part of his career until he crashed and was injured quite badly. The General told me many stories about his service, including the first hand knowledge of how the Corps acquired the nickname "Leathernecks." I think it is ashamed that his family has sold his awards. These should have stayed in the family as treasures and passed down the generations. I am very happy that someone purchased the items that will treasure and take great care of them. The General spent a great deal of his career in Cherry Point until he was assigned as the commander of the MCAS El Toro. I have seen a photograph of The General standing at the nose of The Spirit of St. Louis chatting with Charles Lindberg. He was quite a man. What some may not know is that his brother was an admiral in the navy and that both brothers attended the Naval Academy. I wish I would have taken more time to listen to his stories and experiences.

BigJohn#3RD

Interesting thread, glad someone found the medal on eBay and brought onto this forum before the group disappeared into someone's private collection.

Regards,

John