Great grandfathers WWI USN uniform, etc.

Dr_rambow

I was really surprised to receive this when cleaning out the grandparent's estate. Not everything came out at once. We found the victory medal one place, the hat another, documents all over, and so on. It all came together, though. I have the Pants and boot covers too, but those aren't so glamorous. What is cool is that each thing is named to him (except the victory medal).

The only thing "missing" from the uniform is the discharge stripe (did these uniforms not get one)? There's a lot of moth nips and I still need to give it a proper presentation (the hanger it's on is not at all to my liking). If I had the money I might get a manikin, but alas, I'm broke.

I've been told that the Mobile Base clasp was only issued around 3600 times, which I had no idea at the time. If anyone has some sashes or hat ribbons to replace wht is missing, I'd love to know.

GSL.u4zdOuj63lPB2XsIFw.jpg

HBMLd3nrc6zDFEFyO7gtqg.jpg

iHRrh3VXBfQttnSa7L9fxQ.jpg

SCdZxYFHhp-SQx9bLHQm5A.jpg

.EvDVuAL6HjqqWinNEJHmA.jpg

m9MGnIBoBQ7f6WGFO7FBEw.jpg

wZATZKKJH9viXkYMM1d4Vw.jpg

God I love the art on these things...

np6bMUYskniIbcWM4iQzwQ.jpg

And here he is on a ship, or a dock, or any number of things near water.

1AMQ.DbymrACG1Q1WzCWAA.jpg

Let me know if you want to see some more pictures. I have a few more little documents, but I figured these were most interesting. I also have a photo-etched dog tag, I keep forgetting to take pictures of that!

I hope you enjoy!

I'm uploading several new pictures, but in the mean time...

Manayunkman: I consider myself very lucky to have all this preserved. This man's daughter (my grandmother) was unfortunate in that she grew up in the depression under some pretty harsh circumstances. She developed a habit of saving nigh everything, especially anything paper (newspapers, magazines, letters, etc, etc). By the time she would have received this stuff, she was probably already well versed in this tendency. While sad later in life (she was a borderline hoarder), it was a great benefit to the family. How much of this stuff would have been thrown out otherwise?

manayunkman
I'm uploading several new pictures, but in the mean time...

Manayunkman: I consider myself very lucky to have all this preserved. This man's daughter (my grandmother) was unfortunate in that she grew up in the depression under some pretty harsh circumstances. She developed a habit of saving nigh everything, especially anything paper (newspapers, magazines, letters, etc, etc). By the time she would have received this stuff, she was probably already well versed in this tendency. While sad later in life (she was a borderline hoarder), it was a great benefit to the family. How much of this stuff would have been thrown out otherwise?

There is nothing more fun than cleaning out a hoarder house.

You and I would have never know if we were to go to the house and visit while she was still around. She kept the place nice and neat. She stashed it all in closets, dressers, cabinets, etc. I wouldn't have believed that there was so much if I hadn't helped my father sort though all of it. dozens of cubic yards of stuff cleverly stashed away.

Though, I admit there were several surprises in the lot. For one, we found this uniform, there was a 1880's pin-fired revolver was hidden away in a drawer, various mass cards for family members dating back well over a hundred years at this point.

Here is an overview showing the names on everything.

P8010090.jpg

Some additional markings on the leg covers:

P8010088.jpg

Bay the way it is done, I'm guessing these are each unique etchings?

P8010073.jpg

P8010074.jpg

P8010077.jpg

P8010075.jpg

P8010076.jpg

Victory medal/clasp document.

P8010078.jpg

Some mail from his buddy back on the ship. Apparently he earned the nickname "Katy" somehow... seems like a rather dubious title!

P8010083.jpg

P8010084.jpg

Wow! Very nice! I'm not seeing anything missing and I would say that it is in very good shape.

Was he originally from Indiana? If so, you have a good chance at getting some service info.

collectsmedals

WOW! What a great grouping for your family to remember your Great Grandfather by.

That uniform is fabulous.

Thanks guys, I have much of it hanging proudly on the wall. My brother is named after the guy, so it truly is a treasure to have. I noticed when I spread it out to take a few extra pictures today, it really is impressive how much we have from something so long ago.

Beast: I believe so, the family was in Indianapolis for some time before and after his service. The shirt certainly shows it's use, there are quite a few old repairs here there and everywhere. I think those are great though!

P.S. Is anyone having issues seeing the images in the second round (6:04 post)?

BigJohn#3RD

Todd,

Great Group and from the family; I wished my family kept my Great Uncle's stuff together. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

John

Thanks guys, I have much of it hanging proudly on the wall. My brother is named after the guy, so it truly is a treasure to have. I noticed when I spread it out to take a few extra pictures today, it really is impressive how much we have from something so long ago.

Beast: I believe so, the family was in Indianapolis for some time before and after his service. The shirt certainly shows it's use, there are quite a few old repairs here there and everywhere. I think those are great though!

P.S. Is anyone having issues seeing the images in the second round (6:04 post)?

Todd,

The Indiana State Library may be able to provide some service information for you. They won't have his discharge, but they may have his bonus application. If you need help requesting the info, let me know.

Great uniform, but you may want to take the medal off and lay it flat. The planchet's weight puts stress on the ribbon and tear it over time.

Best: That sounds good! It's been hectic around here lately so a lot of stuff I would have liked to research has gotten dusty (so to speak). One of these days I'll get around to it.

Austin R: I hear you, I'm not happy at all with how it is now. I would love to get it framed so it can hang more elegantly with the rest of his documents and not pull on everything. Either that or I can try to pin the suspension ring so it's not putting weight on the ribbon.

manayunkman

Now that is a great piece of family history.

You are blessed.

I don't understand what you are referring to about post 6:04 ?

Thanks again for the love guys! This is indeed a blessing, I consider myself very lucky to be the caretaker of such history.

manayunkman: photobucket was having an issue for an hour or so and almost all the images were not showing up. Seems to have corrected itself by now.

That's one superb grouping. Amazing how your family held onto it for so many years. Something to really to be proud of. Thanks for sharing.

Todd;

Wonderful grouping! My grandfather was on the USS Canonicus in the Yankee Mining Squadron, but I have nothing of his uniform except his kerchief. The fact that the Blackhawk had a cap tally gives me hope that one exists for the Canonicus. I have been looking for a long time.

You may want to look for a couple of very old books on the Squadron. "The Northern Barrage" was published by the U.S. Naval Institute in 1919 and printed by The Lord Baltimore Press. "The Yankee Mining Squadron" was also published by the Institute in 1920.

Good luck and take care of that grouping.

Jim

Too Much WW1 Militaria

That is a great group with a rare VM bar to boot. In answer to your red discharge chevron, honestly, I've never seen one on a USN uniform, and I've been at this over 50 years. You might want to contact a researcher that works out of NARA in St. Louis, that is where the Navy "bricks" are stored. They are called that because of the brick-like red penaflex folders they're stored in. There will be all sorts of good information on him in the brick most likely. Anyway, that is where potentially, anyway more information can be found.

John

Thanks guys!

Jim: There is always hope! I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of this. Maybe you'll be able to locate something one day. At least you have something I don't, I'm still looking for a replacement kerchief for this uniform. I might look into those books, thanks for the recommendation.

John: That's good to know. It was one of my first questions when this uniform brought me into the WWI collecting field. Every reference tells you that complete uniforms ought to have the chevron, little did they tell me that this wasn't the case for USN. I've tried using the "easy" NARA application on their site, but apparently it doesn't work with windows XP (KFC is that?). I'll have to do it the old fashioned way. It can never hurt to know more about your family's history, I just have so much to research and never remember to do it! I have this man's son-in-law's USMC uniform that I still need to get documentation on while he is still around.

Todd,

Finding a group this complete is difficult enough for a WWII veteran. To find a WWI vet's group is extremely rare these days. It is very admirable to have the uniform display, but I would caution you to ensure that it is limited in its exposure to sunlight and incandescent light. Sealing it up in a display case can certainly provide protection from the moths, but deterioration still continues with time. Even with expensive UV glass which will greatly reduce the destructive invisible light rays, it only slows the deterioration down.

The hat tally is exceptional. While it has tarnished, it still appears to be in very good condition. I have seen USS Black Hawk tallies for sale in the past, but they are so rarely on the market and can be quite spendy.

Congrats on finding this group. You should be proud to be the keeper of your family's military history!

• 5 months later...