1954-1975 US MARINE VNMC ADVISOR TIGER STRIPE UNIFORM PATTERNS AND REFERENCE

whittond

Jaw dropping collection. Just amazing, and thanks very much for sharing. Its great to see/learn about the variations in Sea Wave, particularly.

Just to add to the info on the 1st Pattern VNMC - you are right your two shirts showing the 62-63 and 64-66 patterns are distinctly different patterns. However the 64-66 pattern you show (this is the pattern with the very recognisable large hook or wave feature) was also made in 62-63 time period on to silky cotton poplin - there are a few shown in the Tiger Stripe thread, plus I have had a shirt from this time period. Basically there were two similar but different VNMC pattern running simultaneously in the early 60s. The reason for this was the JSDF tested tiger stripe in the early 60s and it is their fabric that is one of the patterns - the shirt you show as 62-63. 

Here is an image of one of the Japanese test jackets in this pattern. This pattern is also became the very 1st ARVN pattern on heavy cotton - before the standard fat tiger/early pattern. Also pic attached.

1449616560_jwspoplinjapanesegroundforcearmyshirttwittertakehiko334561.jpg.6202405f5aaf2ac7584c94973b1ef5ef.jpg

Jenkins pattern back.jpg

This is the very first print of the VNMC fabric. It has the large hook that is missing from the JSDF test fabric. The fabric of this 1st print does not have a smooth surface poplin surface  - it feels more like a lightweight canvas with a matt finish. There is much more fine detail in the pattern. 

tiger.jpg

But again, thanks for sharing your amazing collection. There is always more to learn, and the beauty of this forum is that people share their accumulated knowledge.

BTW, if anyone has one of the genuine (apparently a few high end repros in circulation) Japanese test uniforms I would consider selling the house..........

Hi Dan,

Well what to add here? I am speechless what amazing stuff you have and how nicely it is all displayed.

Quite upper rare Uniforms and headgear. Thank you very much for sharing with us.

And also, thank you for the great start of a new embedded Topic here for camouflage uniforms.

Best

Zirni

I WOULD LIKE TO ADD THAT MY VNMC TIGER STRIPE UNIFORM PATTERN PLAQUES WERE ACTUALLY UPDATED TO MORE ACCURATELY REFLECT SEVEN (7) VNMC TIGER STRIPE PATTERNS 1962-1975 WITH A POSSIBLE 8TH PATTERN 1958-60/61 PATTERN THAT I AM STILL UNABLE TO VERIFY AT THIS POINT THROUGH PHOTOS OF VNMC QM MARKED/DATED UNIFORM.  ALSO THE TWO ERDL CAMO VNMC UNIFORM VARIATIONS FROM 1966-68 DURING THE TIGER STRIPE MATERIAL SHORTAGES THE VNMC WAS DEALING WITH THEN.

I AM ATTACHING THE NEWER UNIFORM PLAQUES NOW, SINCE I CAN NOT SEEM TO EDIT THE ORIGINAL POSTS AND SWAP THEM OUT.

1962-1975 VNMC TIGER STRIPE PATTERNS 1.png

1962-1975 VNMC TIGER STRIPE PATTERNS 2.png

1962-1975 VNMC TIGER STRIPE PATTERNS 3.png

1962-1975 VNMC TIGER STRIPE PATTERNS 4.png

1962-1975 VNMC NON TIGER STRIPE PATTERNS 1.png

On 2/28/2023 at 3:41 PM, Soar said:

This is the very first print of the VNMC fabric. It has the large hook that is missing from the JSDF test fabric. The fabric of this 1st print does not have a smooth surface poplin surface  - it feels more like a lightweight canvas with a matt finish. There is much more fine detail in the pattern. 

tiger.jpg

ANOTHER BEAUTIFUL PATTERN, THIS MAY VERY WELL BE THE ONE I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO VALIDATE FOR MANY YEARS NOW & POSSIBLY THE ONE THAT I WAS JUST BARLEY OUTBID ON LAST FEW SECONDS DURING AN EBAY AUCTION YEARS AGO.  IS THERE A QM MARKED/DATED FRONT VIEW OF THIS UNIFORM ?  WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT ADDED, WOULD HELP ME VERIFY THAT EARLIEST 8TH VNMC TIGER STRIPE PATTERN.   

ITS AMAZING THAT WITH ALL OF THE PERIOD PHOTOS I HAVE FROM THE VNMC ADVISORS COVERING FROM 1954-1975 AND HISTORICAL US MARINE CORPS PHOTOS,  THE ONE PERIOD I DO NOT HAVE ANY COLOR PHOTOS FROM AND ONLY A FEW POOR QUALITY BLACK & WHITE PHOTOS FROM IS THE 1958-61 PERIOD.  SEMPER FI,  DAN

2 minutes ago, whittond said:

ANOTHER BEAUTIFUL PATTERN, THIS MAY VERY WELL BE THE ONE I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO VALIDATE FOR MANY YEARS NOW & POSSIBLY THE ONE THAT I WAS JUST BARLEY OUTBID ON LAST FEW SECONDS DURING AN EBAY AUCTION YEARS AGO.  IS THERE A QM MARKED/DATED FRONT VIEW OF THIS UNIFORM ?  WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT ADDED, WOULD HELP ME VERIFY THAT EARLIEST 8TH VNMC TIGER STRIPE PATTERN.   

ITS AMAZING THAT WITH ALL OF THE PERIOD PHOTOS I HAVE FROM THE VNMC ADVISORS COVERING FROM 1954-1975 AND HISTORICAL US MARINE CORPS PHOTOS,  THE ONE PERIOD I DO NOT HAVE ANY COLOR PHOTOS FROM AND ONLY A FEW POOR QUALITY BLACK & WHITE PHOTOS FROM IS THE 1958-61 PERIOD. 

SAME ISSUE WITH MY VNMC ADVISOR UNIFORM COLLECTION, ALMOST ALL OF THEM RECEIVED DIRECT FROM THE ADVISORS OR THEIR FAMILIES, BUT NO ONE FROM THE 1958-1961 PERIOD HAD A VNMC TIGER STRIPE UNIFORM OR UNIFORM ITEM REMAINING, AND I HAVE BEEN DILIGENTLY WORKING ON MY VNMC ADVISOR COLLECTION FOR OVER 33 YEARS NOW, WITH MOST OF IT AQUIRED MANY YEARS AGO WHEN ALL OF THE ADVISORS WERE STILL YOUNG ENOUGH TO MANAGE FROM DAY TO DAY.

SEMPER FI,  DAN

On 3/2/2023 at 9:19 AM, whittond said:

ITS AMAZING THAT WITH ALL OF THE PERIOD PHOTOS I HAVE FROM THE VNMC ADVISORS COVERING FROM 1954-1975 AND HISTORICAL US MARINE CORPS PHOTOS,  THE ONE PERIOD I DO NOT HAVE ANY COLOR PHOTOS FROM AND ONLY A FEW POOR QUALITY BLACK & WHITE PHOTOS FROM IS THE 1958-61 PERIOD.  SEMPER FI,  DAN

I hav several pics of them being worn side by side.

The rough and smooth prints.

I will call you tomorrow Dan.

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2023 at 1:17 PM, whittond said:

Hello Gents,  For those that don't know me, MSgt Dan Whitton USMC(Ret),  USMC Infantry Related Militaria 1875-Vietnam Historian / Collector for over 44 years and VIETNAM US MARINE ADVISOR to VNMC / RSSZ / ARVN / SOG / POPULAR FORCES / CAP-CAG Advisor 1954-1975 Uniform/Gear/Photos/Paperwork, Historian / Collector for over 33 years now.  I am also the Historian to the Vietnam Marine Advisors Association.

I am opening a new forum reference section on Vietnam Era 1954-1975 US MARINE Advisors to the South Vietnamese Marine Corps and their VNMC Advisor Uniforms, etc.  One of these days (hopefully sooner than later) I will get a Very Detailed reference book published for collectors since I have been completely retired for over 10 years now & my days are on my own schedule.   I have an extensive collection of US Marine Vietnam Advisors Uniforms, Head Gear, Specialty Items (Clothing Related, Field Gear Related) Photos, Paperwork (AARs, Advisor Logs, Personal Letters, Training Materials, MAU Official Log Books, Etc), Captured NVA & VC Items.  Most of my collection (about 98%) has come directly from the former Advisor or His family.  The remaining 2% from Close Friends in the hobby, Militaria Shows, Gun Shows, Yard Sales, Flea Markets, & Internet Sites.  I have color photos & uniform items going back to the very first two VNMC Advisor's 1955-1957 (Capt Breckinridge & T/Sgt (GySgt) Tracy) through as recent as the Very Last VNMC Advisor LtCol Lukeman 1974-1975 who evacuated the Marine Advisory Unit HQs, US National Ensign / US Marine Corps Battle Colors / SVN National Colors as Saigon fell to the North Vietnamese Army in 1975.

These first images will be of my Vietnam Marine Advisors uniforms currently on display, as well as my uniforms stored (not on display).

1962-1975 VNMC ADV DISPLAY (1).jpg

1962-1975 VNMC ADV DISPLAY (2).jpg

1962-1975 VNMC ADV DISPLAY (3).jpg

1964-1975 USMC VIETNAM DISPLAY.jpg

VNMC ADV COLLECTION NOT DISPLAYED (1).jpg

VNMC ADV COLLECTION NOT DISPLAYED (2).jpg

VNMC ADV COLLECTION NOT DISPLAYED (3).jpg

Absolutely insane collection! Thanks for sharing this with us. 

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately these are not mine! From twitter repost, apparently they belong to an Australian collector. Anyway, this is the thread for them. Not much more needs saying

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 15.49.11.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 15.48.43.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 15.49.06.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 15.48.47.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 15.48.51.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 15.49.19.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 15.48.59.jpg

SOAR,  Thank You for adding these pictures of the August 1957 dated VNMC Tiger Stripe Uniform Jacket & Trousers to this thread.  I to am jealous of the owner of these & would love to have them in my collection.  Very Nice. Semper Fi,  Dan

On 2/22/2023 at 1:17 PM, whittond said:

Hello Gents,  For those that don't know me, MSgt Dan Whitton USMC(Ret),  USMC Infantry Related Militaria 1875-Vietnam Historian / Collector for over 44 years and VIETNAM US MARINE ADVISOR to VNMC / RSSZ / ARVN / SOG / POPULAR FORCES / CAP-CAG Advisor 1954-1975 Uniform/Gear/Photos/Paperwork, Historian / Collector for over 33 years now.  I am also the Historian to the Vietnam Marine Advisors Association.

I am opening a new forum reference section on Vietnam Era 1954-1975 US MARINE Advisors to the South Vietnamese Marine Corps and their VNMC Advisor Uniforms, etc.  One of these days (hopefully sooner than later) I will get a Very Detailed reference book published for collectors since I have been completely retired for over 10 years now & my days are on my own schedule.   I have an extensive collection of US Marine Vietnam Advisors Uniforms, Head Gear, Specialty Items (Clothing Related, Field Gear Related) Photos, Paperwork (AARs, Advisor Logs, Personal Letters, Training Materials, MAU Official Log Books, Etc), Captured NVA & VC Items.  Most of my collection (about 98%) has come directly from the former Advisor or His family.  The remaining 2% from Close Friends in the hobby, Militaria Shows, Gun Shows, Yard Sales, Flea Markets, & Internet Sites.  I have color photos & uniform items going back to the very first two VNMC Advisor's 1955-1957 (Capt Breckinridge & T/Sgt (GySgt) Tracy) through as recent as the Very Last VNMC Advisor LtCol Lukeman 1974-1975 who evacuated the Marine Advisory Unit HQs, US National Ensign / US Marine Corps Battle Colors / SVN National Colors as Saigon fell to the North Vietnamese Army in 1975.

These first images will be of my Vietnam Marine Advisors uniforms currently on display, as well as my uniforms stored (not on display).

1962-1975 VNMC ADV DISPLAY (1).jpg

1962-1975 VNMC ADV DISPLAY (2).jpg

1962-1975 VNMC ADV DISPLAY (3).jpg

1964-1975 USMC VIETNAM DISPLAY.jpg

VNMC ADV COLLECTION NOT DISPLAYED (1).jpg

VNMC ADV COLLECTION NOT DISPLAYED (2).jpg

VNMC ADV COLLECTION NOT DISPLAYED (3).jpg

I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR VIETNAM US MARINE ADVISOR UNIFORMS AND UNIFORM ITEMS AS WELL AS ANY OTHER ADVISORY TOUR RELATED ITEMS FOR MY COLLECTION.  I ALSO COLLECT CERTAIN SOUTH VIETNAMESE MARINE UNIFORMS TO ENHANCE MY US MARINE ADVISOR COLLECTION.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

HELLO AGAIN ALL,

WELL I HAVE VERIFIED THAT THERE ARE DEFINATELY EIGHT (8) VNMC TIGER STRIPE UNIFORM PATTERNS, FINALLY LOCATED A 1958-1961 1ST PATTERN I COULD PERSONALLY VERIFY WAS NOT THE SAME PATTERN AS MY NOW CORRECTLY MARKED 2ND PATTERN 1962-1963.

I HAVE UPDATED MY UNIFORM QUICK REFERENCE TO REFLECT THE CORRECTIONS FOR THE 2ND-8TH PATTERNS.  ONCE I PERSONALLY AQUIRE THE 1ST PATTERN UNIFORM, I WILL UPDATE THE IMAGES AND REFERENCES AGAIN SHOWING ALL EIGHT VARIATIONS (FRONTS SIDES AND BACK SIDES).

I HAVE ALSO MADE SOME UPDATES TO MY VNMC ADVISOR DISPLAY ROOM UNIFORM DISPLAYS AND THE INFORMATION PLAQUES CORRECTLY REFLECT THE 8 UNIFORM PATTERNS.  ENJOY THE NEW IMAGES.

HERE IS THE UPDATED TIGER STRIPE PATTERN QUICK REFERENCE CHART.  

SEMPER FI,  DAN

DW 1961-1975 VNMC ADV TS UNIF PATTERNS PNG.png

HERE ARE PICS OF MY UPDATED USMC VIETNAM INFANTRY RELATED DISPLAYS AS WELL AS MY NEWLY CREATED NORTH VIETNAMESE ARMY, VIET CONG & VIET CONG MAIN FORCE INFANTRY RELATED OPPOSITE SIDE OF ROOM DISPLAYS.  I PLAN TO CONTINUE TO HUNT FOR TWO TO THREE VIET CONG MAIN FORCE UNIFORMS IN CLAY BROWN / BLUE & BLACK (AT PRESENT I HAVE NONE), AND A MUSTARD TAN NVA REGULAR UNIFORM SET.

ENJOY.

SEMPER FI,  DAN

1964-1973 USMC Infantry & Recon Vietnam.jpg

1964-1973 NVA & VC Infantry Vietnam.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some close-up photos of the correctly identified 2nd-8th Pattern VNMC Tiger Stripe uniforms showing two fully dressed figures in Mint uniforms.  The figures are positioned in order going from Right to Left, so the figure on the right side will be the earlier variation to the figure on the left.  The display plaques in front of each figure states which pattern it is.

Regretably I do not have a 1958-1961 (1st Pattern) variation to display.

Semper Fi,  Dan

2nd & 3rd Pattern VNMC TS.jpg

4th & 5th Pattern VNMC TS.jpg

6th & 7th Pattern VNMC TS.jpg

8th Pattern VNMC TS.jpg

• 4 months later...
SimonLMoore

Rather late posting on this thread as I've only just found it, I first of all want to say a big thank you for this superb reference. I have found bits and pieces of information elsewhere but nothing this comprehensive.

I was wondering if you might be able to share a closeup photo of one of the two-colour name tapes? I'd be very interested to see more detail of how they are constructed.

I was also wondering if you had any information on the introduction dates for the different pocket and brigade/division patches? This is something I am keen to nail down but I have not been able to find a definitive answer elsewhere as regards dates.