Maverick Top Gun

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

Thoughts? 
without giving anything away(?) it was a good movie

I watched the first one in Germany in 1986…. The sequel does a good job of connecting the two films

I will say this, spoiler alert, I spit out my coke, not really, when they introduced Mavericks new love interest…. Few got the connection

great inflight action

vintageproductions

I thought in some ways it was better then the first.

What connection did Jennifer Connelly have with the first?

I thought maybe it was her name, but in the original Top Gun they refer to a Patty Benjamin, but her character is named Penny.

On 5/29/2022 at 5:17 AM, phantomfixer said:

I will say this, spoiler alert, I spit out my coke, not really, when they introduced Mavericks new love interest…. Few got the connection

phantomfixer

According to Goose was Penny in the first too

its Getting a lot of good reviews.. better than most films coming out these days.. 

F98052BC-8DC9-4ADD-9365-47BE17AD3C58.jpeg

phantomfixer

For the flight jacket folks..  there was a lot of consternation over China’s influence over Hollywood.. specifically Mavericks G-1 blood chit with China demanding the Flag of Japan and Taiwan be removed and replaced with generic flags, which the producers conceded to.. the flags were removed and replaced with generic flags, all the trailers show the modified blood chit… 

final production cut, the US released version had the original blood chit with the flags of Japan and Taiwan… and I say US released version because I don’t know what will be released in China

vintageproductions

Had to go back and watch the scene again, and yes it was Penny. I thought for years Goose said Patty.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched this yesterday.  I thought it was a really good movie. As Phantomfixer said, thought they did a good job tying the two movies together.  But the mission....where have I seen that before?

On 5/31/2022 at 12:45 PM, vintageproductions said:

Had to go back and watch the scene again, and yes it was Penny. I thought for years Goose said Patty.

MR. STRICKLAND STILL HAD BALLS

On 6/2/2022 at 6:30 AM, manayunkman said:

Best part of the movie is watching and hearing those planes take off.

They were fairly realistic...the "thump" when the catapult launches the aircraft shook my office every time. Ever so slowly, probably 1/16 of an inch each launch, things would get closer and closer to falling on my desk from my shelves. Finally, the launch would inevitably come when my stapler, etc., would fall off onto my desk. 🤣

What they didn't show was when the tankers would launch and just sit on the deck with afterburner on. One of those catapults was right above my stateroom and during night time launches, the tankers would just sit there, full afterburner, and it was deafening. Learned to sleep through it on an 8-month deployment though.

Went to see it yesterday & really enjoyed it.  It was predictable sometimes & had many action movie clichés but I still had a great time & would watch it again.  

Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it.

I thought it was well thought out and made me a bit sentimental in the way it tied to the original.

When I saw the original I was only three years away from beginning my jet career, flying early stuff. Now so many years later, and on the backside of my career, operating aircraft with current wiz-bang technology, it definitely made me identify with the film in a small way.

I sure hope the current film inspires a new generation of pilots like the original…we are desperately short of pilots. Most kids aren’t growing up dreaming of being fighter pilots or astronauts anymore. The industry will be over 12,000 pilots short by next year.

So, personally, I really recommend the movie, I thought it was outstanding. Yes, it has minor glitches, but all movies do. Overall I can look past any minor discrepancies at a film that will stand the test of time as a true classic with great flying, as did the original. 
I must also say that I felt the short intro by Tom Cruise was a classy touch.

John

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 5:07 AM, B-17Guy said:

I sure hope the current film inspires a new generation of pilots like the original…we are desperately short of pilots. Most kids aren’t growing up dreaming of being fighter pilots or astronauts anymore. The industry will be over 12,000 pilots short by next year.

The FAA’s rules aren’t helping, to be honest.  A kid being on Ritalin that ended up not being needed is pretty much screwed with how hard and extremely expensive special issuances are to even just apply for, even years after stopping a med.  The FAA has made it too easy for people who could fly to be disqualified.  Tons of people sought mental health help during the lockdowns, and were even put on meds.  Big disqualifiers.  You have to have a medical to fly anything over a light-sport-type craft.  No two ways about it.

And then training is expensive, and these days, younger people are struggling just to pay the basic bills.  They aren’t dreaming of being pilots when they’re too busy dreaming about enough financial stability to know they will have a roof over their heads next month.  Flying was never cheap, and now it’s harder.

I’m a student pilot.

USMC_COLLECTOR

"Numerous high speed passes over towers, and one admrial's daughter..."

From Goose Top Gun

On 5/31/2022 at 7:44 AM, vintageproductions said:

I thought in some ways it was better then the first.

What connection did Jennifer Connelly have with the first?

I thought maybe it was her name, but in the original Top Gun they refer to a Patty Benjamin, but her character is named Penny.