Ebay medic helmet

lugi45

Screamingeagles101

Price was right where I anticipated it would be, I sold a similar one for a similar price not too long ago. These medics are very hard to come by. When you do, your gonna have to pay up if you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price was right where I anticipated it would be, I sold a similar one for a similar price not too long ago. These medics are very hard to come by. When you do, your gonna have to pay up if you want it.

Ah, no that is NOT right where it should have ended. This was a total case of eBay auction fever and someone just paid about $2K more than what it should of sold for. But, being a blatant capitalist, all my medic helmets are now for sale for $3K.

USMC-RECON0321

Ah, no that is NOT right where it should have ended. This was a total case of eBay auction fever and someone just paid about $2K more than what it should of sold for. But, being a blatant capitalist, all my medic helmets are now for sale for $3K.

Scott I agree.

Well I guess we can expect every Medic helmet at the upcoming SOS will now be priced around $4500. LOL

Troy

Scott I agree.

Well I guess we can expect every Medic helmet at the upcoming SOS will now be priced around $4500. LOL

Troy

Without a doubt, the place is going to be silly with medic helmets. Might even outnumber fake SS helmets this year.

Price aside, this is a really nice medic with what appear to be some very early WWII roots.

Having watched all this hysteria and the Jkash ordeal, I still say it should have gone for far less that even $2K with absolutely no provenance. Please, before you all flame me, I watched many that were recently burned by fakes openly praise the eventual fakes - some doing the same here. Sure, we all WANT it to be true but without provenance we just can't ever know. The price should reflect that or the fakers just get motivation.

JMO,

Dave

USMC-RECON0321

I have to agree, IMO someone way over paid on this one. No ID, No Name, No History and no chain of custody etc... Not to mention, the helmet appears to be in near relic condition. I've seen, bought and sold some top notch WWII unit marked, named and ID'd helmet "Sets" (meaning both shell and liner with matching markings) from properly listed open auctions and even high end helmet collectors that know what they're worth for that price range or less and still can. Wow! Just for the sake of argument, let's say this is a legit helmet as is, with no ID or history etc. I would value this helmet at $1500 +/- tops. But looking at the bid history though, there were 6 different bidders above the $2000 mark, so maybe I'm way off on my assessment. :o

Troy

My 2 cents,

There are plenty of helmets out there with less provinance, and in worse condition that have surprised us with the prices they bring.

This one is a medic/corpsman with a presumed PTO history from AK. In my opinion these two things add value.

Condition is factor, a lack of a name etc... all impact value but auction competition often drives prices up beyond what we might consider reasonable.

A couple of people wanted and one of them won, good for them.

It sold for more than what I expected, I guessed 3k to 3.5k.

Too much? Too little? Time will tell.

Congrats to the new owner, it looked like a nice lid from a PTO theater with a rich often overlooked history.

Burning Hazard

Definitely eBay bidding war, there was that one or two bidders that "must have it" and bid large amounts in the last 10 seconds.

Pat

I have to say this---- how many years has it been that names didn't matter?? you went to a sale or show saw a helmet and bought it. I bet many here have lids painted with no names or ASN on them but, at the time you paid a market value that could have been to high. my question is when did all the concern about provenance come into play to determine if the item is real or fake -- cheap or to high in price??? just remember something guys, NOT EVERY GI, SAILOR, AIRMAN named or ASNed their items. tell me if any of you walked into a show or a store and saw an M-2 para a real one and the person wanted 4-5000 for it would you walk away from it because it had no name or laundry id in it??? I don't think you would. same thing with a m-42 jump top and bottom. I have a mint unissued set from missies attic who is the wife of a deceased member here that cost me 2,300.00. no name or ASN just unissued mint. is it worth that much?? I'm sure you get my drift.

IMHO Competition thats huge, especially when its brought before the forum and the masses either give it a resounding thumbs up or down will absolutely affect the final price, its interesting to watch the bidding war that ensues when a helmet is brought here, it rises and falls depending on the amount of yayys or nays it receives. Sometimes it rises and falls multiple times thru out the course of the auction almost in sync with the whats being said about it in the thread. When the majority vote is that its Good To Go, the final price will reflect that. I think the idea of another one never surfacing and this may be the only time Ill ever have the opportunity to own one plays on peoples minds especially in this field of collecting.

Ray

USMC-RECON0321

Definitely eBay bidding war, there was that one or two bidders that "must have it" and bid large amounts in the last 10 seconds.

Pat

Actually Pat,

There were 6 different bidders over the $2000 mark. :o

Hey great for the seller, I just wish I'd have that luck with an auction.

I have to agree, IMO someone way over paid on this one. No ID, No Name, No History and no chain of custody etc... Not to mention, the helmet appears to be in near relic condition. I've seen, bought and sold some top notch WWII unit marked, named and ID'd helmet "Sets" (meaning both shell and liner with matching markings) from properly listed open auctions and even high end helmet collectors that know what they're worth for that price range or less and still can. Wow! Just for the sake of argument, let's say this is a legit helmet as is, with no ID or history etc. I would value this helmet at $1500 +/- tops. But looking at the bid history though, there were 6 different bidders above the $2000 mark, so maybe I'm way off on my assessment. :o

Troy

Troy I feel you are not wrong with your assessment , no name no chain of custody , is a helmet with no ID really worth that amount of money.

The sad thing is you will never know who wore it , and without that you just have a helmet with markings and an untold story that no one will ever know

D.C

USMC-RECON0321

I have to say this---- how many years has it been that names didn't matter?? you went to a sale or show saw a helmet and bought it. I bet many here have lids painted with no names or ASN on them but, at the time you paid a market value that could have been to high. my question is when did all the concern about provenance come into play to determine if the item is real or fake -- cheap or to high in price??? just remember something guys, NOT EVERY GI, SAILOR, AIRMAN named or ASNed their items. tell me if any of you walked into a show or a store and saw an M-2 para a real one and the person wanted 4-5000 for it would you walk away from it because it had no name or laundry id in it??? I don't think you would. same thing with a m-42 jump top and bottom. I have a mint unissued set from missies attic who is the wife of a deceased member here that cost me 2,300.00. no name or ASN just unissued mint. is it worth that much?? I'm sure you get my drift.

Mitch,

I don't think people are saying they only want a helmet if it's Id'd etc. Heck, I have some great ones with no history that to me are no doubters, I just wouldn't pay $4300 for them. I think the point being made is not if it's legit or not, or named and ID'd or not, but the price it sold for and not having the name / history to go with it. I think most agreed "as- is" it was worth $1500 - $3000 still a lot of money. The addition of a vet ID and history I would hope always brings up the value of an item.

Your examples above are really apples to oranges. This is a fixed bail M1 and without the markings would be a $200+/- shell correct? So a $4300 ending price is obviously due to the markings on the shell. The items you mention above have the much higher values just in the items themselves, M2 D-bail, M42 jump suite and not necessarily who they belonged to. Now if you also attach an I.D. or history to those items, yes I believe the value would go up even more.

But you are correct, there was a time when a name and/or history was not as important in terms of paying up for an item, but as we've all seen with the German helmets and now sadly U.S. Helmets fakes are getting very good and at the current day prices for unit marked stuff you feel a lot better dropping that kind of money when the helmet is backed with a Name, ID, History or chain of custody. But then again, back in the days we are talking about a marked U.S. helmet wasn't selling for $2000 to $5000+.

Also should be noted for beginning collectors reading all this, just because a name is added, it also can be faked just like the markings. We've seen these popping up also with the power of the internet history searches. So in conclusion, always take everything into consideration when making an educated decision on any valuable item.

Mitch,

I don't think people are saying they only want a helmet if it's Id'd etc. Heck, I have some great ones with no history that to me are no doubters, I just wouldn't pay $4300 for them. I think the point being made is not if it's legit or not, or named and ID'd or not, but the price it sold for and not having the name / history to go with it. I think most agreed "as- is" it was worth $1500 - $3000 still a lot of money. The addition of a vet ID and history I would hope always brings up the value of an item.

Your examples above are really apples to oranges. This is a fixed bail M1 and without the markings would be a $200+/- shell correct? So a $4300 ending price is obviously due to the markings on the shell. The items you mention above have the much higher values just in the items themselves, M2 D-bail, M42 jump suite and not necessarily who they belonged to. Now if you also attach an I.D. or history to those items, yes I believe the value would go up even more.

But you are correct, there was a time when a name and/or history was not as important in terms of paying up for an item, but as we've all seen with the German helmets and now sadly U.S. Helmets fakes are getting very good and at the current day prices for unit marked stuff you feel a lot better dropping that kind of money when the helmet is backed with a Name, ID, History or chain of custody. But then again, back in the days we are talking about a marked U.S. helmet wasn't selling for $2000 to $5000+.

Also should be noted for beginning collectors reading all this, just because a name is added, it also can be faked just like the markings. We've seen these popping up also with the power of the internet history searches. So in conclusion, always take everything into consideration when making an educated decision on any valuable item.

Couldnt have said it better Troy ,

Great points with an open minded outlook on the collecting field

D.C

I have collected items with provenance since I was 8.

But it wasn't until 1991-95 during the 50th anniversary that my ideas of provenance really took hold and matured.

Since then items with some kind of ID (name or laundry number) have become more desirable and price goes up.

Why is this?

Items that can be ID'd to someone important or rare unit are highly desirable and price goes even higher.

Finding a named item is like opening up a present because you never know what you get.

Regardless a 100% legit item with no ID is still desirable but an item with a proveable story is even better and will bring more.

That is my egotistical opinion.

Im sorry but I just dont get it, who makes the price point? The buyers correct? Future sellers see that one sells for 4K then theyll all ask for around 3k from here on out until one medic lid sells for $1500 then the sellers will drop their prices back to 1k. A lid is brought here for review collectors are watching what people say, yes or no, good or its not, there is a bidding war based on what been said here and the cycle continues. What makes it a $1,500 helmet rather than a $4,000 helmet, because the last one prior sold for $1,500? Doesnt USMF have an influence on price point? I know when prices have been brought up in the past fellow members will say well maybe its the centerpiece hes been looking for his collection, you cant knock him for that. Is this any different? Honestly Im not surprised it went that high. It seems like scarcity is a big factor here.

there are many factors to this story. Troy is right, Ray makes a good point too as others. but, through this in. who sets a price on any ORIGONAL item?? the guy at a show selling off a table?? a guy who walks in with an item for sale?? just for example, on a table dealer has a Chaplins helmet with a name in it. and lets say he wants 1000.00 for it when the real value is 500.00. and it sells for the 1000.00. does it mean all chaplin helmets are worth now 1000.00?? I have always said its a buyers market. you like, you buy. Ray175inf makes a good point too. SCARCITY. 2 of the leading top sells in helmets are para and medic and they are scarce. I do not see painted lids for sale as say back in 2000 when I first got on line. there are many factors and do understand what is said here. but, in the end how bad do you want it, is it real, and how scarce? it has also been said by ones thread it is in relic condition--------- well most combat lids are well used and beat and would feel a bit more comfortable that way then with 1 that is semi mint. this one in question has several charactoristics of real seen on the outside as inside as well.

USMC-RECON0321

there are many factors to this story. Troy is right, Ray makes a good point too as others. but, through this in. who sets a price on any ORIGONAL item?? the guy at a show selling off a table?? a guy who walks in with an item for sale?? just for example, on a table dealer has a Chaplins helmet with a name in it. and lets say he wants 1000.00 for it when the real value is 500.00. and it sells for the 1000.00. does it mean all chaplin helmets are worth now 1000.00?? I have always said its a buyers market. you like, you buy. Ray175inf makes a good point too. SCARCITY. 2 of the leading top sells in helmets are para and medic and they are scarce. I do not see painted lids for sale as say back in 2000 when I first got on line. there are many factors and do understand what is said here. but, in the end how bad do you want it, is it real, and how scarce? it has also been said by ones thread it is in relic condition--------- well most combat lids are well used and beat and would feel a bit more comfortable that way then with 1 that is semi mint. this one in question has several charactoristics of real seen on the outside as inside as well.

Mitch,

Well said sir! I would like to add my opinion on "relic condition". As you stated I love a "Salty and worn combat use look" dirt, grime damage etc. in a helmet, but when I think of relic, to me it's meaning more of a very poor current condition due to bad storage over the years or being dug up. things like that. So I think we are thinking the same thing of what we like to see in the look of a legit combat used helmet, just two different definitions of what relic means. LOL To me this helmet appears to be very rusted and loss of most of it's OD Green factory color due to poor storage over the years. Maybe it will look better in person, hard to tell for sure with those pictures.

Troy

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Mitch,

Well said sir! I would like to add my opinion on "relic condition". As you stated I love a "Salty and worn combat use look" dirt, grime damage etc. in a helmet, but when I think of relic, to me it's meaning more of a very poor current condition due to bad storage over the years or being dug up. things like that. So I think we are thinking the same thing of what we like to see in the look of a legit combat used helmet, just two different definitions of what relic means. LOL To me this helmet appears to be very rusted and loss of most of it's OD Green factory color due to poor storage over the years. Maybe it will look better in person, hard to tell for sure with those pictures.

Troy

I agree.

No body is going to pay crazy prices for helmets with the exception of this buyer.

If everyone is going to charge 3000 for a medic helmet then they are going to waste time and reputation.

When the buyers turn away the price will come down.

One thing this helmet has going for it is the fact that it is out of the usual.

And remember.... $4K to someone who makes $1500 a day is not that big of a deal. I know a few Medical Doctors, CEO's, CFO's, and Attorneys who collect helmets, guns, girlfriends, cars, and houses...... Ten car garages, 6000 sq. foot houses on 2 acres, and in California.........! Vipers, Hemi Cuda's, 32 Fords, and Dodge Daytona's in the driveways........ $4K is just another days work......... Not for me right now as I am unemployed..... But on a good day here and there I have made enough to buy a good German camo lid or anything else I wanted for a few K or less........ It is all relative to income and timing...... Right now, I am eating cheerios and hot dogs and just enjoying your helmets on the board here and your new finds...... Living vicariously through others as they say......for now. Regards, Chris