The 25th Infantry Division in Vietnam

Andrei

:D I saw it two months ago and I left it because the japanese girl who run the shop was so unfriendly when I asked her for a better price in regards of the tear on one of the sleeve.

This is a nice field jacket though. It is hard to find early M65 with all in-country made patches.

Oh, wow, small world!

The guy that was working there the day I picked the jacket up wasn't too friendly either. I figured the jacket was a little pricey, but it was worth it to save it from becoming someone's "fashion statement". Plus, I couldn't resist those rather nice theater-made patches :)

This is my M-65 field jacket that I found in a store down in Greenwich Village a couple of months back. Named to Sergeant Morris, who was serving with the 4th Infantry Division and had a prior tour of duty in Vietnam with the 25th Infantry Division.

2u7rc5k.jpg

Some close-ups:

24axv1c.jpg

5fhx89.jpg

2wp1n5y.jpg

287he7b.jpg

4s1990.jpg

One other possibility about the owner of this jacket is that it represents one tour in Vietnam and he was first serving in the brigade in the 25th that was swapped with a brigade in the 4th. The 3rd Brigade of the 25th deployed to Pleiku in 1965 and the rest of the division deployed to Cu Chi. In 1967, the 3rd Brigade of the 25th swapped designations with the 3rd Brigade of the 4th Infantry Division. If he was serving in the Central Highlands where the 4th was located and where I believe it got fairly cool, he may very well have actually worn this jacket in Vietnam. That would account for all the theater made insignia.

One other possibility about the owner of this jacket is that it represents one tour in Vietnam and he was first serving in the brigade in the 25th that was swapped with a brigade in the 4th. The 3rd Brigade of the 25th deployed to Pleiku in 1965 and the rest of the division deployed to Cu Chi. In 1967, the 3rd Brigade of the 25th swapped designations with the 3rd Brigade of the 4th Infantry Division. If he was serving in the Central Highlands where the 4th was located and where I believe it got fairly cool, he may very well have actually worn this jacket in Vietnam. That would account for all the theater made insignia.

That makes a lot of sense. I'd been wondering why he had theater-made insignia on an M-65. I'd also completely forgotten about the 4th and 25th Divisions swapping brigades. Thanks, Sean!

That makes a lot of sense. I'd been wondering why he had theater-made insignia on an M-65. I'd also completely forgotten about the 4th and 25th Divisions swapping brigades. Thanks, Sean!

No problem. It's easy to forget that in some areas of Vietnam it actually got cool enough to wear a jacket, particularly in the Highlands. There is a picture in one of the 101st Airborne Division yearbooks from Vietnam of some guys wearing M-65 jackets over their jungle fatigues. In September, 1968, my father's company in the 82nd Airborne was on top of Nui Ke Mountain south of Hue when the worst typhoon in years came along. I have read stories of how it basically shut down most operations in the area. His unit was was unable to get airlifted out or resupplied for three days and when the storm finally broke a number of guys had to be evacuated with pneumonia and the flu. He said they nearly froze to death although what felt like such an extreme drop in temperature was probably only relative considering how hot it normally got.

Wow, I'd never heard of that incident before. Now that I think about it, there's an illustration in an Osprey book I have which shows ARVN soldiers in Hue City wearing M-65 jackets and gloves. I always thought the illustration was a little strange because I never thought it got that cool over there, and I've never seen photos of soldiers wearing warm weather gear while in country.

Even now, it's kind of hard to imagine that it got that cold in Vietnam, but you learn something new every day. :)

Here's a shirt I found for eight dollars a couple years ago; I wish I'd hung on to it, but I sold it.

Anyway, I only have a close-in shot of it. It's the standard type bought at the PX, with a comfortable light weight. The others in this thread reminded me of it. Just about everything's theater-made.

dscn10535cmxr5.jpg

101combatvet

When I was in College I saw this guy wearing a real odd looking M-65. I walked over to him to get a better look.... it was that thin OD material often found on NVA uniforms. I asked the guy kind of jokinly.... "Hey.... where did you get the NVA field jacket?" He went on the explain that he was in the 25th way up north and they discovered a large NVA cache site and he helped himself. Oh, some collector back then had already offered him $100 bucks for it. B)

No problem. It's easy to forget that in some areas of Vietnam it actually got cool enough to wear a jacket, particularly in the Highlands. There is a picture in one of the 101st Airborne Division yearbooks from Vietnam of some guys wearing M-65 jackets over their jungle fatigues. In September, 1968, my father's company in the 82nd Airborne was on top of Nui Ke Mountain south of Hue when the worst typhoon in years came along. I have read stories of how it basically shut down most operations in the area. His unit was was unable to get airlifted out or resupplied for three days and when the storm finally broke a number of guys had to be evacuated with pneumonia and the flu. He said they nearly froze to death although what felt like such an extreme drop in temperature was probably only relative considering how hot it normally got.

Here's a shirt I found for eight dollars a couple years ago; I wish I'd hung on to it, but I sold it.

Anyway, I only have a close-in shot of it. It's the standard type bought at the PX, with a comfortable light weight. The others in this thread reminded me of it. Just about everything's theater-made.

dscn10535cmxr5.jpg

MP,

here is what I found on Cpt Wiese :

AIR MEDAL (HEROISM)

LTC Alfred M. Bracy, HHC, 2nd Bn, 14th Inf

MAJ James D. Beam, Co A, 25th Avn Bn

CPT Frederick Wiese, HHC, 4th Bn, 9th Inf

Name: WIESE FREDERICK W

Branch: ARMY

Rate: O03

MOS: 1542

MOS Title: Infantry Unit Commander

Entered: 6310

Discharged: 860627

Service Number:

State: UNKNOWN

Race: CAUCASIAN

I would have love to have it in my collection !

Thanks for showing the picture.

Andrei

Hi Guys

Since we are exploring the 25th ID here is my family conection.

My Girls dad was drafted as a young man and sent to the Nam .

This was in 69.

He told me he spent most of this time in Cambodia .

His job

was to carry the pig , hes a big dude .

Andy was in the 25th ID 1970 yearbook .

When he got back to the states he got a desk job in training so he was a happy man , he was discharged in June 1971 .

Well here is his dress greens ,he kept these along with a jungle jacket and a couple of fatigue shirts .

Andy was in the 3rd ,22inf 25th id .

All the best

owen

Kamo man .

post-2009-1219260699.jpg

I posted pictures of a named purple heart in this thread-

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=24906&hl=

I believe he was in B co 2nd 27th infantry regt 25th divsion. I would like to find more info on this soldier. Thanks

Here is a page of the 25th ID site where Clifford T. Johnson is mentioned :

http://www.25thida.com/TLN/tln1-20.htm

This is posted elsewhere, but fits in this thread, too. The 1st and 2nd Bns, 27th Inf had CRIP units - Combined Reconnaissance and Intellignce Platoons. This beret dates from 1968. There is a pocket patch for the 1st Bn, none for the 2nd.

post-622-1219294428.jpg

post-622-1219294441.jpg

This is posted elsewhere, but fits in this thread, too. The 1st and 2nd Bns, 27th Inf had CRIP units - Combined Reconnaissance and Intellignce Platoons. This beret dates from 1968. There is a pocket patch for the 1st Bn, none for the 2nd.

It surely belongs here ! What a beautiful piece of the 25th Infantry in Vietnam !

Andrei

New Romantic

Very nice beret, I always like seeing Wolfhound items!

Salvage Sailor

Seeing your Captain Wiese OG-107 shirt reminded me that I also have an Electric Strawberry Captains shirt

Captain Shaffer, Medical Service Corps (unresearched) - 25th ID right arm patch, 81st ARCOM Wildcat left arm patch.

001x.jpg

Salvage Sailor

had a different left arm patch previously. The Captain must have belonged to another unit prior to the Wildcats. US ARMY tape looks newer too.

003x.jpg

Salvage Sailor

ARCOM Wildcat patch - Shadow of older patch beneath

Captains tracks and MSC tab are original to shirt

007x.jpg

008x.jpg