Show your AAF Uniforms!

doinworkinvans

This one I'm very sad I can't find the full photo of. I had this one on a coat form at the end of my bed for years when I was young. My very first Saville Row tailored uniform...

JENKINS.jpg

Jenkins1.jpg

And the last one for now. Here's a closeup because some folks have never seen these before (I hadn't before I bought these!) Someone on the forum owns these now, IIRC...

DuncanForum2.jpg

doinworkinvans

Oh my gosh Dave...the bar has been raised once again!! I am speechless....I am without speech! (Seinfeld anyone?!?!) And did I read that correctly that you dont own a single one now? I think I am gonna be sick!! How did you part with those?!?!

One of my favorites...

Dave I'm rather curious about the WO with the boat pin? Was it some type of Air-Sea rescue unit? Those were some seriously some quality uniforms! Wish I would have known when you were selling those! lol

AAF_Collection

Dave, some stunning additions! I'm very envious of whoever has the tails now as that is one of the pre-war uniforms I'd love to own. I will add some better pics of my set of full dress blues, blue mess uniform and cape as soon as I can.

Matt.

• 1 month later...
AAF_Collection

Bringing this back to the top with one of my favourite ike's which will be the subject of it's own more detailed thread in the future.

Lt. Robert A. Latchin was a P-47 Thunderbolt pilot with the 404th Fighter Squadron, 371st Fighter Group, Ninth Air Force and flew over 70 missions. The ike is a "cut-down" having started life as a 4 pocket coat tailored by the P.H. Davis Tailoring Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio, it's dated March 18, 1944. All ribbons and insignia are original to the jacket with the exception of the DUC ribbon which I have placed where the original had clearly been removed.

SDC10298.jpg

SDC10301.jpg

SDC10309.jpg

Matt.

Robswashashore

A display I put together to honor my late father, MSgt. William Gould of the 8th Weather Squadron. He was a Weather Forecaster and stationed at Bluie West One in Greenland, which was the big stopover for aircraft and crews on their way to ETO.

post-12350-0-73350200-1383428199.jpg

Here's my first pilots uniform. It belonged to a Major Early McClung who was CO of the 22nd Fighter squadron. The 22nd FS was part of the 36th FG which supported the 104th from 12/21/44 to 2/6/45. The major scored 3 ground kills.

IMAG0569_zpsabaad4ed.jpg

AAF_Collection

Thanks JD! as I say I'll post more on Latchin as soon as I have everything straight, he was quite a guy!.

Jean, I love your tribute to your father, very nicely done!. The guys at many of the outpost bases used by aircraft in transit did such a vital job, but are often overlooked IMO.

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one I picked up recently. This vet was from Manchester, NH, and assigned to the 161st Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron. He enlisted on January 5, 1942 and graduated from the Boeing School of Aeronautics later that same year. Admittedly, the wings are a replacement set, but there was a ghosting where a set of wings was originally located, and based on a few photos in the grouping of him in the planes on base, I believe it probable that he was aircrew-qualified groundcrew (just not flying missions in the P-51s taking the recon photos, of which there are a few in the grouping, as well :) ). In any case, the dogtag chain border around the patch and the English-made overseas bars are a couple of those details I love to see on a jacket, and I'm proud to have this one on display in the collection.

-- Jon

post-112103-0-70790800-1384820728.jpg

AAF_Collection

Hi Jon,

That's a nice example. Funny but I've just bought an Officers tan coat to a P-51 pilot in the 160th TRS-363rd TRG. I will post pictures once it arrives.

Matt.