Show your AAF Uniforms!

doinworkinvans

Beautiful additions everyone! This thread has some really great items!

That red lined bombardier Ike with the bullion wing was one that really jumped out at me. There are some other really great items as well. Thanks for sharing!

JD

Thanks Ian.

I don't think so. The patch is extremely thick which my poor photography really does not pick up. It really sticks out from the uniform.

JD

doinworkinvans

Cont'd...

Can anyone explain why the collar brass is different on this. It's hollow? What is the significance of this?!

Hollow...or stamped brass plate collar devices were a wartime economy measure because brass was designated a "strategic war material"...needed for shell cases etc.

doinworkinvans

Ah yes - this makes sense! Well then I wonder why you don't see those more than the solid ones?

doinworkinvans

JD that 15th bullion is absolutely amazing. I can sit here for hours and look at all these! Keep em coming fellas.

doinworkinvans

this is the last one in my collection

thanx for looking , any comments on my stuff welcome

Ben - you have some great additions! You certainly blow my uniforms out of the water!

Gentlemen, some absolutely magnificent AAF uniforms--especially those former RAF pilots! FYI when my Airborne Forces series is finished, which should be with Vol 5 in the spring of 2015 for release, my plans are to write the history of the USAAF, also in five volumes. It is my hope that I can call on you all for input. While I have a rather extensive AAF grouping, no one man can do it alone. Jack Angolia

bhmilitarycollector84

Ben - you have some great additions! You certainly blow my uniforms out of the water!

thanx

but I still think your navigator grouping is way better then any of my tunics , none of mine are named that I can see yet , and I have no history ,

Named or not ID'd or not , it makes no difference Ben !!! these are all a part of history and have at some point played a role in all our futures !!!!

LB

doinworkinvans

They are all history! Very important history! I have at least 10 basic Ike's with no name no provence what so ever, BUT - they are WW2 history and made our lives possible today!

Hello again!

This thread is what I was hoping to see, well done doinworkinvans! You've brought out many breath-taking pieces.

I am enjoying each and every reply, beautiful, gorgeous...the words pale in seeing such fine examples. Thank you all!

Also, thank those who commented on my additions here, your kind words are always appreciated.

Ian, I have graciously accepted your invitation to post in your thread, thank you.

As for a history on the ATC uniform (there's a pair of pinks in there too) I have had that for so long I forget if I have any info on it or not. It is as it came to me decades ago, but I'll have to dig and see what I can find. It's a pretty thing and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Best wishes to you all!

Joe

is this thread for uniforms only or can it include headgear as well ??? as i would like to post my "Bancroft crusher" a true crusher that is !!

LB

and me wearing the "GAB" one !! :) just to give an idea of how it was worn !! as if you all didnt know !!

post-106122-0-92444400-1377985388.jpg

Garandomatic

Wisconsin man, picked it up on ebay for a good deal because blue is a turn off for a lot of collectors, I think. I researched the man and found some great history, including his picture and a write-up about earning his DFC when he (as pilot) nursed his B-17 home from Stuttgart with such low fuel that only a single prop was spinning. He later commanded a fighter wing in the Air Guard. 92nd Bomb Group, 327th Squadron.

post-9670-0-72839800-1377992078.jpg