Poor Collectors Unite!

cutiger83

I can’t afford helmets, wings, medals, etc but I do love to collect small items. I believe some of you are like me. You have a collection of little items that you don’t post on here because you don’t believe anyone here will be interested. Well, I decided this weekend to say the heck with that! We can’t compete with some of the collectors on here but I believe we should still be proud of our collection. We should post our small items just to show what the average collector can find on a limited budget.

We should establish the PCD – Poor Collector’s Division. When you post something from your collection we promise:

1) We won’t argue whether or not your item is fake because...well...honestly, who is going to bother to fake anything we can afford?

2) When you post your $1.00 or $2.00 items, we won’t say we have a variant that is worth 2 times what you paid for yours.

3) It is OK to post a 2-3 word response (ie. “nice collection”) in one of our threads because there is not much else you can say about a tie tack

4) We won’t get into a political discussion about how our country won’t let us own what we want because they could care less about our button collection

5) We will share ways to display our collections on the cheap. When you build with your own hands, it is much more satisfying

6) We accept anyone who collects anything no matter how small or inexpensive

Any other poor collectors out there who want to join me and post your small items?! :)

....Kat

You dont have to post it in the What its Worth ? section as you paid top dollar for it to begin with at the thrift store............ :P:D;)

Many of us probably started off very small. I know I did and for years my rule was no more than $100 for anything. In fact the vast majority was items under $10.00 each. Today after 37 years of chasing militaria, my most expensive item was just $125, and only one piece at that. I've known several old time collectors who worked this hobby on a shoestring and still ended up with top notch collections, but it takes work and patience. Look in those out of the way places and collect things that normally don't cost an arm and a leg. So what if your collection doesn't contain some ultra rare piece? As long as YOU are happy with your collection, go for it.

We can't all run with the big dogs in this hobby, so do what you can with your disposible income and have fun with it. There are sure more of us small collectors than there are of the high-rollers!

Very nice idea. As stated above we all started small. Not sure I could find my way back to small.

I always envied the fellow who had a hobby that gave him or her joy but did not cost an arm and a leg.

Maybe the powers-that-be should consider creating a new forum category..."Nickel and dime stuff" ?! ;)

No, we wouldn't want to do that because the threads there would garner too much attention at the expensive of "high end" but esoteric items........

RustyCanteen

Didn't the French Revolution start out something like this?

I don't think Kat intends on grabbing any pikes to chase us around..yet. :o

;)

I'm not saying Kat has any "revolutionary" tendencies, but she's been to see "Les Miserables" eleven times. Be afraid...be very afraid! :o

I don't think Kat intends on grabbing any pikes to chase us around..yet. :o

;)

Probably not but there's french members on this forum and you wouldn't give them pikes to play with ... ok, let's come back to collecting :blush:

Catfishcraig

Add another rule:

Never use the terms "mint" or "near mint" in our threads but instead use the terms "battle tested" or "been there look" to describe items.