Jump to content

Old Marine

Members
  • Content Count

    4,485
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Old Marine

  1. Thanks for allowing me to post this here. If any one wants to post any 82nd , Airborne or D-Day related insignia or artifacts please feel free. D
  2. THis little figure vignette is finished. Here are a bunch of photos. Thanks Dennis
  3. I think that is from the US Parachute Association. A civilian skydiving organization.
  4. Allan, I guess they really are paratroopers after all. The kneeling guy has an M3 strapped to his ankle. It's molded on the figure and I didn't even notice it until I started painting the figures. The guy pointing lost his helmet in the jump, but luckily he found one in a barn with the original net and scrim. Anyway, here are some more progress photos. The painted figures and the ground work is done. The ground work is spackle over styrene sheets and then covered with static grass and grass tufts. The figures are painted with Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics with a touch of artist's gouache. The the gouache keeps the colors perfectly flat. Thanks all.
  5. That is very cool. Nice find
  6. I had my doubts about that too, there are no wrist compasses.
  7. Kat, I mix and match parts form all different figure sets. I also have a box full of leftover and unused parts that I use to bash together one of a kind figures. You can alter the figure by cutting and filling the gaps. If you look closely at the second photo, you can see the big gap under the arm of the figure with the dark foot. I held the arm in place with a brass pin, to get the right angle and then filled it with model putty. If you noticed all the hands on the guys pulling the car have been replaced. I added 2 more figures, one guy giving directions to the cart pullers and another guy making coffee. If you notice all those hand have been replaced too. Those little gestures, like the way his hand is resting on his knee or on guys gripping the cart, one guy's hand is forward and the other is back make the figures more natural looking and interesting. It's also a good way to waste time while sitting inside. Anyway, some more photos of the progress.
  8. Hi Kat. Yes those two figures are the same. But, the figure with dark leg was broken off at the ankle. But, that break worked out well. I didn't want them to be exactly alike so I altered the leg just to get some variation. With different arm positions and heads plus different gear and weapons will make them less identical.
  9. This is a resin kit that I found online. It's made by Plus models in the Czech Republic. Plus models makes some interesting small things like this. Eventually this will be a little figure vignette of the Paratroopers in Normandy hauling ammo and other supplies, based on the photo. The figures are resin from Nemrod. I'll post more as I go along. Thanks Dennis
  10. I thought the same thing about the sewing on the patches.
  11. Here are some photos of the finished vignette. Thanks for looking and the comments.
  12. I think you did a great job bringing it back to life.
  13. I worked on the terrain last night. The base is foam board glued to a thick sheet of plastic sheet then covered with air dry modeling clay. You could also use spackling compound to cover the foam board. You need to laminate the foamboard to the plastic sheet with some strong adhesive. If you just put the clay or spackle on the foamboard it will warp, the plastic sheet should prevent the warping. Also, once the foam board is firmly glued to the plastic sheet you can seal up the foam board with a coat of primer or acrylic paint. After the clay dried up completely, I just painted on a brown earthy color with craft acrylic paints. I used a dark and light brown and just let the color mix together to get that uneven look. After the paint dried up I coated the raised areas, not the road way with withe glue and applied static grass. After the grass dried up I built up the small stone wall with super glue and small rocks and pebbles from the drive way. I found these Green World shrubs and then just glued them in place along the far side of the road. I think the stone wall and the shrubs help to frame the figures keep the viewer's focus on the figures. After the wall and the grass and the shrubs were all securely in place I applied the snow. I used the tube acrylic paint because it is very thick. I put some of the thick paint in to an empty Vallejo white bottle and squeezed out a line of thick white paint along the top of the wall and on the bushes. I applied the paint like cake icing or silicone caulking. I then did the same on the ground along the font of the shrubs and wall and on the grass. Using the little squeeze bottle give you a nice, rounded, natural looking pile of fresh snow. On the ground I used a small flat brush to smooth out and blend together the lines of white paint. While the paint was still wet I dusted the whole thing with the craft store snow. I intentionally left some bare spots and lifted some of the static grass through the white paint. I will let this all dry up for a few days while I work on the figures and them go back to work on the road to give it a wet look.
  14. That's a very nice collection and display. You have some great pieces.
  15. I was able to do some work on the engineers. Thanks for all the comments.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.