A Couple of Ike Jackets from a local Militaria Shop

PoorFarm

Here's a couple of jackets I picked up at the local militaria shop. I wasn unable to find a name in either jacket but the 66th did have a GI's picture in the right front pocket which was a fun find. The top jacket has a solid bar across the good conduct ribbon. Does anyone know what that mean?

Corpl. Cleaver

Very nice finds!

The bar on the Good Conduct was for multiple awards. There are knots on the bar standing for each additional award. After 5 it was a silver bar with the same knot system.

Tyler

Nice jackets but not much left in the shop.

The one ( 4th ID ) might be traceable through it's laundry number.

Nice jackets.Interesting to see that both men have a Purple Heart w/ olc.Is that an Arrowhead on the ETO ribbon of the 4th ID soldier?

The zipper is a common tailor modification during the occupation ear. The lining, size tag, style of the shoulder loops, etc all scream M-1950. Does it have buttons on the cuffs and buckle adjustments on the sides of the waist?

Vance

Look for a maker mark on the zipper.Im guessing its a german zipper.Not uncommon for the post war era jacket to have azipper installed by a german tailor if the vet was in Germany at the time.The corporal stripes look like the post war blue back ones as well.

Look in the front right pocket.There maybe a tag with date

Good call on the tag. It is dated 1950 the zipper says RUHR.

I had wondered if these were older "put together" jackets but I'm confident the seller I bought them from did not put them together. In anycase the price was reasonable when all parts are considered.

There were matching shirts on the rack with each jacket in both rank and ID.

It's interesting that all the ribbons on both jackets are in the right precedence. It seems that at least one, normally, would have them out of order. Also note that the first jacket has a star on the American Campaign ribbon....

The other thing that is curious, is that the Occupation Medal wasn't authorized until April 1946, yet the 66th Division was deactivated in November '45. I can't find anything that states the Occupation Medal was originally issued as a ribbon prior to the medal's authorization, as with the WWII Victory and campaign medals during the war.

Anyone know?

I like the ribbon of the french "croix de guerre" on it.

Is it usual it's at the end after the occupation medal since it the equivalent as a silver star in france ?

post-106404-0-79614100-1358239350.jpg

Good call on the tag. It is dated 1950 the zipper says RUHR.

I had wondered if these were older "put together" jackets but I'm confident the seller I bought them from did not put them together. In anycase the price was reasonable when all parts are considered.

There were matching shirts on the rack with each jacket in both rank and ID.

Sounds like a german zipper and the small press snap may be as well on the tab of the jacket.I was wondering about the possibility of the ribbons being added as I usually dont see the number of good conducts he had and the other items as well posted by the members.

That first Ike is killer i love seing the coix de guerre on american uniforms its really got a nice look to it

great buys

The jackets both look post war to me. Also the good conduct looks like a modern dark red and not the bright red of WW2. Have you looked at the back of the ribbons or blacklighted them to see if they shine? What about the CIB? are they post-war? My gut has a bad feelling about them, but would need further investigation.

Also, the OD on blue Corporal stripes on the 4th ID jacket are of the variety in use from '48-'53.

That would be 52 to 58 buzzard, :) The 48-52 one's will be those small 1948 regulation Blue on Gold, Gold on Blue combat branch non combat branch.

The jackets both look post war to me. Also the good conduct looks like a modern dark red and not the bright red of WW2. Have you looked at the back of the ribbons or blacklighted them to see if they shine? What about the CIB? are they post-war? My gut has a bad feelling about them, but would need further investigation.

The CIB on the 4th is unmarked, I assume it is not sterling as it is not tarnished. The 66th CIB is marked sterling. I haven't black lighted the ribbons. The good conduct and the bronze star ribbons on the 66th don't quite matchup colorwise to other ribbons I own from the WW2 time period.

On the 66th jacket the interior lining is a light green and the ruptured duck stiching appears to be done by machine and goes all the way through the lining.