WHAT DO YOU THINK?

firefighter

Interesting article about a man that has done it all.Found this while looking for something else.The ribbon rack and qual badges caught my eye.All out of order and why a Navy para badge when he never was a Navy parachutist.Just wondering what you all think.Not trying disrespect anybody.If this man truly did all that he said then WOW!

http://donmooreswartales.com/2010/08/20/john-arens/#comments

TreasureHunter

What a joke, only thing right about that uniform is the buttons & they may be questionable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

So many things wrong in his story you wouldn't even know where to begin. The really sad part is honest people who want to honor the military are taken in by the likes of these types.

​Sure glad someone pointed out the irregularities with the uniform in the comment section of the original story. I can't fathom why anyone would want to carry on such a charade. Do they actually believe their own lie? Makes absolutely no sense..........what a d----- bag!

I didn't know that Rangers were "recruited" in Tokyo from new troops:

“I happened to see this wounded guy wearing a black beret while we were in Tokyo waiting to go to war. I walked up to him and said, ‘I didn’t know the French were fighting in Korea.’ He looked at me and said, with a Southern accent, ‘I’m not French I’m from Alabama.’

They struck up a conversation and found out the fellow with the beret was an Airborne Ranger. The injured warrior told the trio if they were willing to jump out of an airplane without any prior training he could probably get them into the Rangers. They agreed to give the elite airborne outfit a try.

“I figured we’d stay alive with the Rangers better than the regular Army. Furthermore, I wanted to get to the front lines and do a little fighting,” he said.

When they met their new Ranger company commander the captain asked the three soldiers, “What Airborne outfit are you men from in the States?’

“We’re not paratroopers. We don’t even know how to put a ‘chute on,” Arens replied.

“’Well what the hell are you doing here’ the captain replied.

And then jump trained with "Black Ranger unit":

“We were sent to a black Ranger outfit in Korea that was qualifying their men on the parachute jump. When we told the black troops we were gonna jump without any prior training they thought we were nuts,” he said.

A little to much for me to believe!

Scott

Now this original photo doesn't make it seem entirely implausible. IF he did serve as a Ranger in Korea, this is what I would expect to see. I think he got a bit carried away when he got older...

odtriwbn.jpg

Dave,

My question with this photo would be whether or not he could still wear the CIB while a member of the USN? I know with the Marine Corps soldiers who earned the CIB and then entered the Marine Corps had to basically "convert" their CIB to a Combat Action Ribbon. I can't say I had ever seen a Marine or Sailor wear a CIB. That is just my experience.

If he was who he said he was I would think a Navy Captain would know the regs.

Dave,

My question with this photo would be whether or not he could still wear the CIB while a member of the USN? I know with the Marine Corps soldiers who earned the CIB and then entered the Marine Corps had to basically "convert" their CIB to a Combat Action Ribbon. I can't say I had ever seen a Marine or Sailor wear a CIB. That is just my experience.

If he was who he said he was I would think a Navy Captain would know the regs.

Yes...he would have converted it to the CAR if he was in the Navy...but he was in the Merchant Marine. I haven't a clue what their uniform regulations are, unfortunately...

Yes...he would have converted it to the CAR if he was in the Navy...but he was in the Merchant Marine. I haven't a clue what their uniform regulations are, unfortunately...

I missed that in the picture. I thought it was a USN uniform vice Merchant Marine.

I looked through the author's facebook page...every other veteran on there is shown wearing normal clothes...no fancy glitz or bling....but this "Captain" always shows up fully decked out with all his badgers and ribbons. If that's not a dead give-away I don't know what is - fakes and frauds almost always want you to see or know what a Billy BadAss they were whereas a "real" vet will normally be low key.

Does no one fact check any more???????????

Mark sends

And then jump trained with "Black Ranger unit":

“We were sent to a black Ranger outfit in Korea that was qualifying their men on the parachute jump. When we told the black troops we were gonna jump without any prior training they thought we were nuts,” he said.

A little to much for me to believe!

Scott

He knew there was an all black Ranger unit in the Korean War, which is not well-known at all. We have some info about the 2nd Ranger Infantry Co at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11872-korean-war-airborne-ranger-berets/

There used to b a good website for the Korean War Ranger companies but it sadly no longer exists.