Early Numbered-Named WWII DFC/Air Medal/Purple Heart Group to a POW

KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

I recently acquired this group from the Nephew of the vet on Ebay after the Ebay police closed the auction due to the presence of the Purple Heart medal. Its a shame Ebay has this policy, because many sellers would have sold all other medals separately. I worked out a deal with the seller and the medals will now stay together forever.

This is a very scarce early war grouping to Sgt. Armando P. Risso . He enlisted in December 1941 shortly after the war started. He would quickly be in " the thick of it".

His first combat assignment was with the 98th Bomb Group. Constituted as the 98th Bombardment Group (Heavy) on 28 January 1942 at Barksdale Field, LA. the group activated on 3 February 1942 at McDill Field, FL with B-24 Liberator Bombers. The 98th continued training at Ft. Myers and Drane Field, FL.

The 98th departed for the Middle East on 15 July 1942, arriving in Palestine in late July 1942. They flew their first mission to Mersa

Metruh on 1 August 1942, with the aircraft being serviced by RAF personnel until 98th maintenance personnel arrived about 19 August 1942.

The 98th was initially assigned to the USMEAF (United States Middle East Air Force). However, the USMEAF was dissolved on November 12, 1942. At that time, the 98th came under the 9th Air Force. The 98th was under the command of the 12th Air Force in September and October 1943. Then, it was under the 15th Air Force beginning on 1 November 1943. Probably their most famous mission was the Low Level raid to Ploesti on 1 August 1943, exactly one year after the first mission was flown. The Group Commander, Col. John R. (Killer) Kane was awarded the Medal of Honor.

On December 11, 1942 the crew of the B-24 "Natchez to Mobile" , took off to attack shipping in the harbor at Naples. They were met by Italian fighters and were shot down, crash landing in the water. Armando and another crewman were wounded and three others lost their lives.

The Navigator on the crew was a man named David W. Westheimer. He became famous for writing the book " Von Ryan's Express " which was later made into a movie. Much of that book was based on Westheimer's experiences as a POW of the Italians during WWII.

The crew stayed together for about a week until they were sent to POW camps. Armando and another crewman were sent to an Italian military hospital. Where he went after that is still a question I have. His nephew stated that he spent a couple years in caves in Italy, which is possible. When Italy capitulated, a large number of the POWs fled and hid out in the hills until the Americans arrived. The German's controlled much of Italy from that time in 1943 until the war was over.

Here is a crew photo of Natchez to Mobile taken shortly before the fateful mission. Sgt. Risso is on the far right .

risso_crew1.jpg

KASTAUFFER

This is a VERY scarce officially engraved ( Yes even with the date ) DFC . It is numbered 692 on the edge.

The earliest of WWII AAF DFCs were engraved with the date as well and Rank/Name/AC .

The date on the medal is the date of the General Order.

MVC_013L.JPG

MVC_018L.JPG

KASTAUFFER

Sgt. Risso's Air Medal. It is also numbered 2660 . This is from the earliest numbered contract based on the small size of the numbers.

MVC_015L.JPG

MVC_016L.JPG

KASTAUFFER

Sgt Risso's Purpler Heart was not named, but is numbered 593,033 . It is one of the highest numbered examples I have seen. Sgt. Risso would have received this medal after he was back in Allied hands. It was not presented engraved to his NOK like the DFC and AM were while Risso was MIA and then a POW.

MVC_020L.JPG

Armando survived the war and passed away in 1991.

I dedicate this thread to his memory.

This photo is courtesy of his Nephew, Mike.

Mike_With_Uncle_Armando_Risso___1971V2.jpg

wildcat123

Very cool grouping, thanks for posting it :thumbsup:

I knew I had heard the name of that bomber before, and then I saw the Westheimer reference. Someone gave me a copy of his book "Sitting it Out" which is a great book!

KASTAUFFER
Great save Kurt!

When and for how long did the practice of engraving dates on the DFC occur?

It didn't happen very long, probably from late 1942 to mid 1943. I have only seen 3-4 engraved like this.

Here is an example owned by another forum member. His example is numbered 11722.

CaptFrankCSteinemannDFC.JPG

Kurt

KASTAUFFER
Very cool grouping, thanks for posting it :thumbsup:

I knew I had heard the name of that bomber before, and then I saw the Westheimer reference. Someone gave me a copy of his book "Sitting it Out" which is a great book!

It is a great read! I owned the book before I bought this group. Believe it or not I own 2 pieces of POW mail from Westheimer. One is sent from Italy, the other Stalag Luft 3.

Kurt

wildcat123
It is a great read! I owned the book before I bought this group. Believe it or not I own 2 pieces of POW mail from Westheimer. One is sent from Italy, the other Stalag Luft 3.

Kurt

That's pretty cool, you should post them in this thread :w00t:

KASTAUFFER
That's pretty cool, you should post them in this thread :w00t:

Here ya go!

west1.jpg

Great save & great find, Kurt! I had a date-engraved DFC to a fighter pilot in the 11th Air Force-Aleutians -1942. It was the first Al Gleim had seen and actually the Regs AR 600-35 in 1941 spelled out the engraving of the date. It may be mentioned in Als' NML.

Westheimer's book "Sitting It Out" is an excellent read. He used to write a a column for the now defunct Houston Post.

Best.....Bob

Thats an amazing find!

Fare play for keepnig it all together great grouping great items, :thumbsup: .

Not like a lot of Groupings they always seem to get divided up which is a big shame.

KASTAUFFER

here are a few more things I just bought today from Sgt. Risso's nephew.

Included are is wings, a sweetheart pin, a lighter, and his sterling cigarette case.

risso_a.JPG

risso_b.JPG

risso_c.JPG