Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

70s/early 80s version of the 1st Battalion (Ranger) 75th Infantry

80 08 12, if this means August 12 1980, then this photo was taken on my birthday, which then would of been celebrated by me at Fort Hood. :)

seanmc1114

U.S. Army Element Special Operations Command, South. Some of these new SOC patches are really nice designs in my opinion.

post-1761-0-74499600-1400859802.jpg

post-1761-0-03727600-1400859809.jpg

seanmc1114

Combat Development Command SSI worn by Captain Gary H. Brux who was later KIA in Vietnam on October 6, 1966.

Of interest to me is the fact that he is wearing Infantry branch insignia with what appears to be the number 41 as well as what looks like 41st Infantry Regiment DUI's along with combat leadership tabs and Infantry branch shoulder cord. I believe all of the battalions of the 41st Infantry that were active during the Vietnam era were assigned to the 2nd Armored Division. Did the 41st have any separate companies assigned to the Combat Development Command perhaps as demonstration troops for testing and evaluating equipment or tactics?

post-1761-0-30523200-1400945551.jpg

post-1761-0-70367800-1400945563.jpg

post-1761-0-39689200-1400945652.jpg

Combat Development Command SSI worn by Captain Gary H. Brux who was later KIA in Vietnam on October 6, 1966.

Of interest to me is the fact that he is wearing Infantry branch insignia with what appears to be the number 41 as well as what looks like 41st Infantry Regiment DUI's along with combat leadership tabs and Infantry branch shoulder cord. I believe all of the battalions of the 41st Infantry that were active during the Vietnam era were assigned to the 2nd Armored Division. Did the 41st have any separate companies assigned to the Combat Development Command perhaps as demonstration troops for testing and evaluating equipment or tactics?

This photo would have to have been taken at Fort Ord, in those days there were 5 separate companies of the 41st Infantry, D, E, F, G, and H Companies of the 41st Infantry, D, E, and F were Straight Leg, while G and H were Mechanized. As per Stanton's Order of Battle Vietnam (page 369) these units were indeed a part of the Combat Development Command, they are catogorized as an experimental Infantry Battalion, though just what they did or how long they performed this mission, dates of activation, inactivation is not given.

A follow up on the Ord based 41st Infantry Companies Separate, here's another one of them, a Sergeant at a range at Hunter/Ligget, there's that Lipton patch or whatever it was called (I forgot :lol:) on the civilian tech. Which company he's from is unknown, too bad we can't see if he's wearing a 41st Infantry pocket patch, but as this photo was taken in either 1968 or 69, probably not then, but we do see he's a Vietnam Big Red One vet by virtue of that unit's patch worn as a Combat Patch, there's another GI off to the upper right, another member of this unknown company who's a Tropic Lighting Nam vet.

post-34986-0-03614200-1401120329.jpg

While not showing any patches, there was another Separate Combat Arms Unit that was partners with these 41st Infantry Companies at Ord, D Company 73rd Armor, too bad we really can't see if the TC has a nice Armored Triangle over his U.S. ARMY tape or Name tape.

post-34986-0-14055900-1401120617.jpg

A follow up on the Ord based 41st Infantry Companies Separate, here's another one of them, a Sergeant at a range at Hunter/Ligget, there's that Lipton patch or whatever it was called (I forgot :lol:) on the civilian tech. Which company he's from is unknown, too bad we can't see if he's wearing a 41st Infantry pocket patch, but as this photo was taken in either 1968 or 69, probably not then, but we do see he's a Vietnam Big Red One vet by virtue of that unit's patch worn as a Combat Patch, there's another GI off to the upper right, another member of this unknown company who's a Tropic Lighting Nam vet.

attachicon.gif41st Inf.jpg

Litton Industries?

Litton Industries?

Thank's atb, forgot also to note that the officer in Khakis to the left appears to be a Marine Corps two star.

seanmc1114

Army Ground Forces SSI worn with an Airborne tab (probably white on blue) by Sgt. Jerry R. Fry who was later commissioned through OCS and earned a Distinguished Service Cross in Vietnam as a helicopter pilot with the 101st Airborne Division.

http://infantryocs1-66.com/2nd-platoon/jerry-r-fry/

He has what appears to be a Golden Knights Parachute team pocket patch on his right pocket.

post-1761-0-51286200-1401199716.jpg

post-1761-0-73371000-1401199722.jpg

post-1761-0-28428800-1401199731.jpg

seanmc1114

SSG Roy D. Martin being welcomed to the Army's Golden Knight Parachute Team. He is wearing a European Communications Zone SSI with Airborne tab along with an oval beneath his jump wings but no DUI. I can't make out his branch insignia. Any idea what unit he have served with to wear that patch combination?

post-1761-0-56817400-1401200122.jpg

SSG Roy D. Martin being welcomed to the Army's Golden Knight Parachute Team. He is wearing a European Communications Zone SSI with Airborne tab along with an oval beneath his jump wings but no DUI. I can't make out his branch insignia. Any idea what unit he have served with to wear that patch combination?

Perhaps a QM Airborne Re-Supply unit?

Another CDC group circa 1968-69, this time not of any of the companies of the 41st Inf, but rather of a support unit. Note the Combat Patch on that Spec 5 standing on the left in the back, what is it, can't really make it out, it's for Vietnam as he's got the ribbons it would seem.

post-34986-0-30566500-1401298460.jpg

Perhaps a QM Airborne Re-Supply unit?

Correct, this is type I SSI for the 557th Abn QM Aerial Supply Company

Correct, this is type I SSI for the 557th Abn QM Aerial Supply Company

Thank's for the ID 468, as he has the ECOMZ patch we can gather he was in this unt when it was in France, it was in France from 1955 till 1966, afterwards it went back to Germany, where they wore I,m guessing either the U.S. Army Europe patch, the one like the Berlin Brigade, except BERLIN is subtituted for AIRBORNE, or the 7th Army.

http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?http&&&www.usarmygermany.com/Units/Quartermaster/USAREUR_AerialSptCen.htm

Jumpin Jack

Canadian soldiers wearing the Kiska Task Force patch. They appear to have tabs above them.

The tab above reads "CANADA", which was worn on both shoulders.

Thank's for the ID 468, as he has the ECOMZ patch we can gather he was in this unt when it was in France, it was in France from 1955 till 1966, afterwards it went back to Germany, where they wore I,m guessing either the U.S. Army Europe patch, the one like the Berlin Brigade, except BERLIN is subtituted for AIRBORNE, or the 7th Army.

http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?http&&&www.usarmygermany.com/Units/Quartermaster/USAREUR_AerialSptCen.htm

My Goof :lol: it should read AIRBORNE is substitued for BERLIN.

post-34986-0-34652000-1401500353.jpg

Patches,

Thanks for posting that link. Seems I now need to revise my comment to read "type I I" patch.

We now need to verify what SSI the 557th wore during the1st Germany stationing.

• 2 weeks later...

The Horse Blanket Patch as seen on the shoulder and horse blanket of Lt Col John Stockton CO of the 1st Squadron 9th Cavalry (Aerial Reconnaissance), 1st Cavalry Division, Ft Benning August 1965.

post-34986-0-13463800-1402799615.jpg

Master Sgt. Billy K. Moore, who earned a Silver Star during the Son Tay rescue mission in 1970, wearing a gold on black Airborne tab over what appears to be a subdued Special Forces SSI.

post-1761-0-20586100-1402800145.jpg