Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

Brigadier General R.E. Mittelstadt, Commander of the 79th Infantry Brigade, wearing the SSI of the 40th Infantry Division of the California National Guard in a pre or early WWII photo.

post-1761-0-76880900-1397237869.jpg

I don't recognize this SSI or tab but this guy's history is intriguing. He served in WWII as a paratrooper and worked for NASA from 1963 to 2012 then came back after retirement as an emeritus employee.

According to the following link, this picture was taken in 2009 when he would have been 81. His ribbons show service back to pre-1941 (American Defense Service Medal) and his Armed Forces Reserve Medal has three hourglass devices which I believe indicate 40+ years of Reserve service. He also appears to be wearing two American Campaign Medal ribbons and the Special Forces tab device which I don't believe would be proper for the dress green uniform.

Any thoughts?

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/about/people/VGigliotti.html

The patch is that of the Pennsylvania State Military Reserve. I have seen this patch before on another service coat.

http://www.pasmr.org/

-Ski

EDIT : Doh! It was already IDed.....

A subdued 1st Cavalry Division sandwich worn in Vietnam by Captain Richard E. Griffiths, CO of Company H (Ranger) 75th Infantry.

post-1761-0-92866900-1397612039.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

3rd Division patches seen on most all, plus CIBs and some with ribbons, a group from a 3rd Platoon of an unknown 30th Infantry Company, Rome July 1944. 3rd Inf Div after Anzio was garrisoned near or in Rome as 5th Army Reserve, a much needed and well deserved break, The next stop, The Riveria, but not as tourists.

post-34986-0-80958400-1398526577.jpg

Mercenary25

Maj. Gen. Kurt Fuller has Airborne Ranger combat patch from Operation Urgent Fury in Grenada.

Jungle Operations Training Course Graduation Ceremony- Soldiers from across the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, were issued a Jungle Expert Tab during the Jungle Operations Training Course graduation ceremony held on Weyand Field, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, March 26, 2014.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25th_infantry_division/sets/72157642976510104/

post-4082-0-32260500-1398526370.jpeg

The Special Forces SSI isn't particularly unusual, but I don't think I've ever seen it worn by a female. This staff sergeant is wearing the 3rd Special Forces Group flash and oval but no Special Forces qualification tab. I can't quite make out her branch insignia but it looks like Signal Corps.

post-1761-0-46802600-1398537301.jpg

Desert subdued Hawaii National Guard SSI worn on DCU's. Also note one of the soldiers has an olive green and black subdued patch on his rucksack.

post-1761-0-00626400-1398537703.jpg

It is the signal BOS.Unusal that she is waring a maroon beret and not green

Good call. I hadn't noticed that but I am basically color blind.

Based on what I read, for the 25th Infantry Division only.

Is there a full color patch or metal badge for wear on the dress uniform?

It is the signal BOS.Unusal that she is waring a maroon beret and not green

She is assigned/attached to the SF unit, but is not SF qualified, so the maroon beret instead of green. I don't when it happened, but the days of everyone wearing a green beret while assigned to an SF unit are over. I think the disuse of the "candy stripe" on green berets for non-SF qualified folks in SF units had something to do with it.

She is assigned/attached to the SF unit, but is not SF qualified, so the maroon beret instead of green. I don't when it happened, but the days of everyone wearing a green beret while assigned to an SF unit are over. I think the disuse of the "candy stripe" on green berets for non-SF qualified folks in SF units had something to do with it.

That's interesting. So not only is the Special Forces tab now an indicator of Special Forces qualification but the green beret is as well? In her case, why maroon and not black?

firefighter

That's interesting. So not only is the Special Forces tab now an indicator of Special Forces qualification but the green beret is as well? In her case, why maroon and not black?

I assume maroon because she's Airborne qualified.

She is in a unit on airborne status. She is also airborne, but that does not neccesarily mean you wear the maroon beret. A soldier has to be in an airborne designated unit, too.