Massachusetts Women's Corps (MWDC)

US Victory Museum

US Victory Museum

Massachusetts Women's Corps.

Unlike organizations like California's WADCA or WATCC, which were

purely patriotic women's organizations having a similar command

structure like that of the US Armed Forces and Reserves, the MWC

(sometimes called Massachusetts Women's Defense Corps) did have a

nexus with the Massachusetts State Guard.

There is currently a paucity of information on the I-net about this

women's organization. The few links found with google are either

newspaper articles, or obituary notices listing deceased members.

In the period photo shown (plus enhancement) one can see that with

the exception of the two women holding the guidon each woman wears

a single ARP (Air Raid Person) MWC insignia on her left collar near

the opening of her blouse. The two in the center have twin insignia

or patches to denote rank; however, the resolution of the photo is

too poor to distinguish what they are. I suspect that they're color

tabs, like those used by AWVS.

While searching on the I-net, I was able to locate a single photo

of a MWC uniform in a museum's display (photo enclosed).

My uniform displays poorly because it is on a man's form that squares

the shoulders, and fills out the hourglass waist. Ignoring the

camera flash, the blouse looks much darker in normal lighting; this

chocolate colored uniform is tailored from summer weight gabardine

wool and feels like expensive quality.

All the buttons are Massachusetts state guard, including those on the cap.

The insignia on the cap is composed of a stylized interlocking M & W

surrounded by D & C (Massachusetts Women's Defense Corps.)

post-1529-1270590053.jpg

• 2 years later...
The insignia does turn up around Mass from time to time. Lots fo people have no clue what it is though.

The Mass Women's Corps was the peace-time follow-on to the Mass. Women's Defense Corps which was active during WWII. I have a brassard for the MWDC and another similar brassard where the owner had cut it apart to remove the "D", thus making it "MWC."

The photo in this thread shows the shoulder patch for MWDC Driver. There were also MWDC shoulder patches for Canteen (coffee pot on patch), Communications (lightning bolt on patch), Medical (cadeusus on patch), and two different patches for Fire Warden (the first patch had a flame, but was replaced by a patch with a "W"). In addition, there were also matching collar tabs with "MWDC" in vertical lettering.

Patch Johnson

• 2 weeks later...
carrabassett

I bought a beautiful cap badge on Martha's Vineyard in the 90's and just recently bought a DI in Medway, MA. Didn't have a clue what they were until I researched them. They do turn up occasionally!

Massachusetts Women's Corps.

Unlike organizations like California's WADCA or WATCC, which were

purely patriotic women's organizations having a similar command

structure like that of the US Armed Forces and Reserves, the MWC

(sometimes called Massachusetts Women's Defense Corps) did have a

nexus with the Massachusetts State Guard.

There is currently a paucity of information on the I-net about this

women's organization. The few links found with google are either

newspaper articles, or obituary notices listing deceased members.

In the period photo shown (plus enhancement) one can see that with

the exception of the two women holding the guidon each woman wears

a single ARP (Air Raid Person) MWC insignia on her left collar near

the opening of her blouse. The two in the center have twin insignia

or patches to denote rank; however, the resolution of the photo is

too poor to distinguish what they are. I suspect that they're color

tabs, like those used by AWVS.

While searching on the I-net, I was able to locate a single photo

of a MWC uniform in a museum's display (photo enclosed).

My uniform displays poorly because it is on a man's form that squares

the shoulders, and fills out the hourglass waist. Ignoring the

camera flash, the blouse looks much darker in normal lighting; this

chocolate colored uniform is tailored from summer weight gabardine

wool and feels like expensive quality.

All the buttons are Massachusetts state guard, including those on the cap.

The insignia on the cap is composed of a stylized interlocking M & W

surrounded by D & C (Massachusetts Women's Defense Corps.)

The two ladies holding the guidon are most likely officers (I can't see rank on their shoulders), but the pair of insignia on their collars are like the one in the attached photo. They were worn in pairs by officers. I have both officer and enlisted MWDC uniforms and the officers have the double collar patch, while the enlisted have the single ARP DUI on the left lapel. Small numbers to be sure, but it would substantiate the unifroms in the photo.

Patch Johnson

post-640-1345478773.jpg

post-4927-1345822775.jpg

The insignia does turn up around Mass from time to time. Lots fo people have no clue what it is though.

They turn up in the UK too. Interesting back mark with date 1941. Does anyone know the maker ? [marked c in a circle]

A good book for this kind of thing is ....DRESSED FOR DUTY. by JILL HALCOMBE SMITH. Vols 1 and 2.

Vol 2 covers the MWDC.

Graham.

• 6 years later...
Salvage Sailor
Specifically, it's the Massachusetts Women's Defense Corps (MWDC)

On Friday, May 25, 2018, The International Museum of World War II will open a new exhibition exploring the role of women in World War II. “Women in WWII: On the Home Fronts and the Battlefronts” highlights women in every major combatant nation and the vital contributions they made on home fronts and battlefronts. This unprecedented exhibition will feature more than 100 artifacts illuminating the diversity of roles women served and illustrating their profound impact on the war effort.

The Museum will also be displaying, for the first time ever, a series of original Ansel Adams photographs that document the role of women as part of the war effort in Massachusetts. In 1942, the government commissioned Adams to document members of the Massachusetts Women’s Defense Corps (MWDC) training for assistance in five main areas: Medical, Transportation, Communications, Canteen, and Air Raid Protection Services. These photographs reflect a departure from Adams’ well-known landscape photographs, revealing high-contrast compositions of corps members reviewing maps, preparing meals, practicing rescue missions, and standing in formation.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

• 2 years later...

100_5075.jpg.be9c38b0dae355822f276ecf671da83f.jpgToday for your viewing pleasure is a group from my Massachusetts Military collection---Enjoy.

Shown is a small Massachusetts Woman’s Defense Corps grouping. Top row far left and far right are MWDC Tabs worn on both lapels, center is the MWDC hat badge. Second are the typical ribbon bars worn: left to right; Meritorious Service, Service and pre-pearl harbor service. Below the ribbon bars: officers wore the small State pin/MASS below on right lower lapel with the DUI of the Woman’s Civil Defense School on the right. The vertical Red stripes are Service stripes each representing One Year service and were worn centered on the lower left sleeve. These were removed after a full three years of service was attained and the Service ribbon Bar was then worn. At the bottom are two small civilian lapel buttons and represent service within the MWDC. If anyone has questions please ask and I will try to answer them. I am in the process, and have been for some time, of researching the MWDC and next year start writing a reference journal on the subject.

This is a very nice and very rare grouping. I have never seen some of these items. I am looking forward to reading your reference material. This is not a well known group of women who served during the war.

...Kat

I am currently writing a reference journal titled: "Massachusetts State Guard WW II Unit Lineage", State recognition to Disbandment. I am hoping to have this completed by the Fall of 2021. I will take a short rest then start on the Massachusetts Woman’s Defense Corps (MWDC). I will post an additional MWDC group within the next hour or  tonight. What is your main collecting focus? I live in Middleborough, Massachusetts fairly close to Cape Cod area. I now need to get back outside to do more snow removal as we had a snow storm that started Thursday night and ended this morning. Only ended up with about 8 inches of snow but still have lots to shovel but I do have a snow thrower so that helps.

Sincerely

John

AKA: Captain Midnight